Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Milestones, for a beginner

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-11, 03:31 PM
Kerrvillian

Bikes: Trek 7200 25" frame

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My riding won't impress the century riders on here, but that's ok. I hope to be one, someday.

Today I hit a couple of milestones. I racked up my longest ride to date as the first. The second was to finally break down and begin using one of those Camelbak backpack mounted water containers.

I've been using Camelbak bottles since shortly after I got the bike. They work ok to put into the rack and to then take into the gym when I bike to the gym. The bite-valve bottles keep the water inside when the bottle is knocked over. That's a plus for a gym-klutz in the weight room.

But the bottles are not that easy for me to access while riding. I can do it, provided I don't have to peddle too much while doing so.

I had also noticed someone wearing one when they were on the archery range, something I do every month when my club has its 3D shoot. I can be out there without access to fluid for 2-3 hours at a time.

When I was first looking over BikeForums sponsor Performancebike's website they had a small Camelbak pack in the clearance section in a color that wasn't too nauseating. I ordered it. Today was the first time I ever filled and used it.

Let me ask you folks a serious question. What can you do with a Camelbak pack to not make the water taste like something sluiced through the crotch of Lloyd Bridges' old wetsuit?

Anyway, I loaded up the Camelbak and learned a lesson. The more water you have, the more accessible it is the longer you are willing to ride.

I had last logged over 9 miles in total by the time I brought the bike to rest in the driveway. Today I did loop after loop on the stretch of road by the river where I can ride without much traffic and no need to stop for over a mile at a time. I did my three loops and took a short break to get rid of some water in a different bladder and let my man-parts breathe.

Then I did another loop.

I took drinks from the Camelbak as needed and didn't deny myself. I didn't have to even pause my peddling.

That "just one more" loop finally brought another realization. I had drained that small Camelbak and I was still over two miles from home.

I did no more loops but finally stopped my running to head home by the quickest route.

Quickest is NOT easiest. Quickest involves a short, steep climb that I normally avoid. But I was still fresh enough to take it on and then roll on home to much needed hydration.

Cycle computer:
Trip: 14.3 miles
Avg: 11.1 mph
Max: 20.3
Total time: 1:16:24
Sense of accomplishment: Priceless

No matter how this weeks weigh in goes I know I'm making progress toward a level of fitness I probably didn't have when I was in basic training and 18 years old. Twenty one years later and I would probably put my 18 year old self to shame.

Old fat guys who feel self-conscious in spandex, UNITE! You have nothing to lose but your waistlines!
Old 04-12-11, 04:05 PM
jesse_v77

Bikes: Roadmaster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hah!! Great story, inspiring for me. Im at 350 and just beginning to ride to and from work 3x a day, total of 12.2 miles.

Take Care !
Old 04-12-11, 04:11 PM
mymojo

Bikes: '10 Specialized Allez, '09 Cervelo S1, '93 Trek T200 (tandem), Rocky Mountain Metro 30

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its a great feelin', ain't it? Keep up the good work!
Old 04-12-11, 06:01 PM
Crazydad

Bikes: Yeti SB5, Canondale R500

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
That is awesome, keep it up! You'll be doing a century in no time
Old 04-12-11, 06:11 PM
WonderMonkey

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts
Nice job.
Old 04-12-11, 06:15 PM
RichardGlover
2nd Amendment Cyclist

Bikes: Schwinn 2010 World Street, Handsome Speedy w/ SRAM Apex

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's awesome.

Especially tackling that hill at the end of the ride.
Old 04-12-11, 07:19 PM
Kerrvillian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Keep it up! Riding pays off in cardiovascular health and improved knee flexibility (for osteoarthritis folks). And stay hydrated!
Old 04-12-11, 07:48 PM
bassjones

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9-4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats! My long ride so far is 9 miles and I've got a 13 mile group ride on Sunday. My church is sponsoring it, once a month for the riding season, a 25 mile ride and a 13 mile ride. I'm hoping to work my way up to the 25 by June's ride.
Old 04-12-11, 08:15 PM
myrridin
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try a product called TruLemon. It freeze dried powdered lemon zest. No calories and it adds a nice lemon flavor.

Helps compact that plastic flavor, which goes away eventually.

Congrats on the ride!
Old 04-12-11, 08:34 PM
beatsrunning

Bikes: Windsor Fens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats!
Old 04-13-11, 05:20 AM
Kerrvillian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by myrridin
Try a product called TruLemon. It freeze dried powdered lemon zest. No calories and it adds a nice lemon flavor.

Helps compact that plastic flavor, which goes away eventually.

Congrats on the ride!
Thanks. I'm familiar with True Lemon and True Lime since I got some to add to the water I drink at work. I can add a packet or two to the Camelbak bladder.
Old 04-13-11, 05:37 AM
motobecane69
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
be wary of what you add to your camelback, you may not get that flavor out of it. Even with regular plastic water bottles its an issue
Old 04-13-11, 05:56 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,609 Times in 2,357 Posts
nicely done
Old 04-13-11, 06:10 AM
Marauder9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well done Kervillian

But the bottles are not that easy for me to access while riding. I can do it, provided I don't have to peddle too much while doing so.
I have heard that if you place your hands as near to the middle of the handlebars as possible and then go for a drink from a bottle, it reduces the possibility of becoming unstable. I think it is because you hand will need to do more work to change the direction of the handlebars as opposed to at the end.

I can't vouch for this myself as I never had a problem drinking while on my bike but thought I would share this to see if it helps you along.
Old 04-13-11, 06:27 AM
txvintage
Tilting with windmills

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The plastic taste goes away after a fewuses and regular rinses. If you add something to your water be sure and rinse the bladder well when you get home. Any kind of residue in the bladder can lead to unhealthy science experiments growing in the bladder!
Old 04-13-11, 11:45 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2643 Post(s)
Liked 1,992 Times in 1,248 Posts
Put some baking soda in there with some hot water, soak for a while, drain and dry. Next time fill the bag with ice, then top with water -- cool seems to keep the plastic taste down.
Old 04-13-11, 12:01 PM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
kerrvillian, Congrats, there will be many more accomplishments to come. I've tried bleach rinses and the baking soda to keep the plastic taste at bay. If you haven't learned it already, after you take a drink blow the water in the tube back into bag to keep from getting a sip of hot water.

Brad
Old 04-13-11, 12:37 PM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I always ride with a Camelback - both road and trail. If you use filtered water in the bladder, it should taste OK. I don't have any problems with weird taste etc. I suppose if really new, the bladder might have a plastic taste for awhile but that goes away.

I learned a long time ago using a water system on your back allows you to drink mmore often and more frequently. More water, more endurance. Something to note - NEVER EVER put anything other than water in the bladder other you risk getting funk. If you need to carry energy drinks put those in a water bottle.

I'm probably really bad with my bladders.... I alway use tap water (the taste doesnt bother me) and I never empty out the tap water (until the next ride). There is so much chloride and other chemicals in the water here, it keeps bacteria from growing. I do always clean out the hose before filling the bladder up with new water.

Someday you will look back on the miles you do today and giggle... I remember when 10 miles was like a century to me. I was so excited and elated when I completed the 10 mile course I set up. Now after many centuries, those 10 miles seem like nothing. The key is to keep at it. Don't stop. I have, several times, and its painful to start again.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 04-13-11, 02:31 PM
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Some day that hill at the end will not make your heart race just looking at it and you will actually look forward to it. Keep up the good work!
Old 04-13-11, 03:16 PM
Seve

Bikes: 2009 Rocky Mountain RC30 D

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Congrats on the ride. :

You can flush your camelbak bladder out, which does improve things. Here is a link to some of the common methods.
https://walking.about.com/od/hydratio...lbackclean.htm

Good luck and keep up the great effort.
Old 04-14-11, 08:26 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Congratulations!

Old 04-17-11, 04:06 PM
Kerrvillian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New milestone.

17.4 miles
101 minutes
Avg speed only 10.3 but I had gusts of 24 mph hitting me square on over half my "loop".

I just downshifted and tried to maintain cadence and stopped worrying over the speed.
Old 04-17-11, 05:37 PM
Crazydad

Bikes: Yeti SB5, Canondale R500

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Nice ride! Good job getting out there in the wind. I do the same thing with my cadence just try and be as smooth as possible.
Old 04-17-11, 05:54 PM
Mr Danw

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
First I'd like to congratulate you on your progress.
Next to address the plastic taste you're getting from the Camelback. When you are done with a ride, rinse the bladder out with fresh water and empty it. Then add an ounce of Vodka, shake it and then store the bladder in the freezer. Take it out before the next use and rinse it out with water, then fill it up.
Old 04-17-11, 09:23 PM
Mr Sinister
Am I evil? I am Man!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Marauder9
Well done Kervillian

I have heard that if you place your hands as near to the middle of the handlebars as possible and then go for a drink from a bottle, it reduces the possibility of becoming unstable. I think it is because you hand will need to do more work to change the direction of the handlebars as opposed to at the end.

I can't vouch for this myself as I never had a problem drinking while on my bike but thought I would share this to see if it helps you along.
I use this technique to change my bottles while riding. I will take the empty one up, and hold it in the middle of my bars, while switching them around to make it easier to grab my full one. It works real well as the bike doesn't shift too much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.