Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

T9 and chain being sticky

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-10, 09:51 PM
mthayer

Bikes: 2009 Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I noticed that my chain was real sticky after putting about 70 miles on it. I have only used the T9 oil on it. I also noticed that there was some sand on the chain. Its said on the bottle that it wont pick up dirt so am I doing something wrong? I lubed the chain, waited a couple hours wiped it down like it said to do.
Old 03-11-10, 10:06 PM
kayakdiver
ah.... sure.

Bikes: Specialized.... schwinn..... enough to fill my needs..

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How many miles on the chain now mthayer? Maybe you just over did it. It takes very little lube. Enough to keep it running smooth and stop.
Old 03-11-10, 10:11 PM
mthayer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
70 miles on the chain. I wiped off the excess like it said to do.
Old 03-11-10, 10:13 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1183 Post(s)
Liked 834 Times in 436 Posts
Does your chain have a total of 70 miles on it? Is it a new cain? There are differing opinions on what I'm about to say--IMO: New chains come with a heavy protective layer of grease or some ohther gooey material. I generally clean new chains before I install them, and then lube them with a light oil like White Lightning Epic. Some lubes are just grit magnets. There have been some pretty good discussions on cleaning and lubing chains on this forum.
Old 03-11-10, 10:54 PM
mthayer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is a new chain with only 70 miles on it. I know sand is terrible on metal, thats what is concerning me.
Old 03-11-10, 11:32 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1183 Post(s)
Liked 834 Times in 436 Posts
I believe that if you remove the "factory coating" and lube with a light oil, you may find it stays cleaner longer. If you ride in a fairly dry place, you might try the original White Lightnig wax base lube. It does not work very well in the rain, but is good in dry conditions. I ride almost everyday , and in Oregon we get a lot of rain in the winter. The cold weather also means a lot of sand and cinders on the road. I lube at least once a week, and a thorough cleaning about once a month. I use White Lightning Epic, but there are several good light oils on the market.
Old 03-12-10, 06:33 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 562 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
I believe that if you remove the "factory coating" and lube with a light oil, you may find it stays cleaner longer. If you ride in a fairly dry place, you might try the original White Lightnig wax base lube. It does not work very well in the rain, but is good in dry conditions. I ride almost everyday , and in Oregon we get a lot of rain in the winter. The cold weather also means a lot of sand and cinders on the road. I lube at least once a week, and a thorough cleaning about once a month. I use White Lightning Epic, but there are several good light oils on the market.
I agree that the problem is probably whatever lube was on the chain not getting along with the T9. I'd say thoroughly clean it, reapply the T9 and wipe off. My chain stays the cleanest and shiniest with T9 compared to the many other lubes I have tried over the years.

On the White Lightning... We used it for a short while on the TA and hated it. It didn't seem to lube well or last long and the build up was the worst of anything I have used. We paid a shop to clean the White Lightning completely off in their degreaser and we switched to T9. We rode the remaining 3000 miles without another cleaning, just applying and wiping dry every few days. The chains on all three bikes stayed clean and shiny, shifted well, and didn't squeak or creak for the rest of the trip.