Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cartridge Bearing Hub Adjustment

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-20, 05:38 PM
jethin

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 160 Posts

This new Origin8 cartridge bearing front hub feels very tight, and there is zero play in the axle. Is it meant to be adjusted? Note that the only place to use a wrench are the outer locknuts (no cone wrench flats). I don't want to damage the axle threads by attempting to loosen one locknut against the other.

I'm assuming the proper adjustment would leave a touch of play in the axle (like a cup and cone hub) and that a little play might also free up the bearings. Is that correct? Thanks.

Last edited by jethin; 11-29-20 at 06:48 PM.
Old 11-29-20, 07:02 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
I would not be afraid to put a wench on each side and carefully loosen the end nuts.

A brand new sealed bearing hub may be a little tight. Chris King hubs come with a note to this effect.

Maybe ride 'em a couple days and re-inspect ?

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA
Old 11-29-20, 10:18 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,308 Posts
I suspect that the O8 hubs use a radial contact bearing and not the angular contact design few (like Chris King) uses. The short story is that a radial contact design generally wants some slight end play although new condition and seal drag can make this subtle slop hard to feel for. But many hubs that use radial contact bearings also are not made with provisions for real end loading adjustments. Many also don't control dimensions to a fine enough degree to not end up with a too tight end play when new, and after a few miles... The shorter story is to ride the hubs and see what happens. Andy
Old 11-30-20, 02:24 AM
Eric S.

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
I don't have access to my bike with Origin8 hubs but I think I have those, and they were a bit tight when new. I backed 'em off a bit.
Old 11-30-20, 09:01 AM
jethin

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 160 Posts
Thanks for the 411 and ideas everybody. My plan as it stands is to ride this wheel for a few days and then check to see if the bearings have freed up a bit. If they're still quite tight I'll consider trying to adjust the locknuts.
Old 11-30-20, 02:14 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
A little play is a good idea because when you close the QR the axle is compressed reducing play.