Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

NBD Wabi Classic

Old 06-30-20, 10:47 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
Do I love it yes! Was it worth it? probably not! I'd have been better of putting that money into a Wabi wheelset.

I have a 16t Dicta that is very smooth, but it happened over time, after every ride I would lay the bike on its side and let triflow seep into the freewheel. The Problem being, It then became an absolute must that it was lubed for every ride. It's a love hate thing, Thin lube is fast, but thin lube is crap for lasting very long. and it gets dirty. So the Dicta was replaced with a shimano 17t sf-mx30, which led me to buying the White industry freewheel. It's a Drag thing. The same drag that I can feel when a chain jockeys through the arm of a rear derailleur which makes singlepseeding so much fun. no I won't Fixie, lol

Crappy picture, but the lastest version, good enough for B group rides with a few hills thrown in. In groups I can do pulls, Or I can be the last in line, but It doesn't reallyt work anywhere else in the line up. Plus people jet jittery when you pedal stop pedal stop, just to maintain their pace. and my legs are like whaaaaa ya doing !>?!>!>********** It's my solo riding bike, but I am moving so letting it all go.

maybe some day I can get a SSCX bike. something with an eccentric BB to allow me more wheelset choices.

nice ride bro. I’ll post pictures when I get my Wabi. I couldn’t justify paying $100 for the white industries. I’m confident the upgraded deluxe freewheel from wabi is a high quality product.
Old 06-30-20, 11:04 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by jay4usc
nice ride bro. I’ll post pictures when I get my Wabi. I couldn’t justify paying $100 for the white industries. I’m confident the upgraded deluxe freewheel from wabi is a high quality product.
yeah I am sure the deluxe will be fine
Old 07-17-20, 10:31 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Originally Posted by sdimattia
jay4usc I'm curious, what kind of handlebars did you set your build up with?

I'm currently running compact drops which I love but I rarely use the drops. Thinking about trying out some bullhorns with brakes on the ends . . .

When I originally tried out a 42cm frame a few months before buying, the flat bars paired with the 90mm stem was alarmingly squirelly and I felt like I was riding a child's tricycle. It was actually why I was hesitant to buy the bike right then and there. So, I definitely need the reach of either dropbars or bullhorns but I figured if I'm not using the drops very much then bullhorns wouldn't be too bad either.
got the bike yesterday. Still making some adjustments and enjoying the ride. The geometry is exactly what I was looking for. here’s a few pics

Likes For jay4usc:
Old 07-18-20, 05:12 AM
sdimattia

Bikes: Wabi Classic, Bombtrack Hook, Bombtrack Tension, Vitus Substance

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
got the bike yesterday. Still making some adjustments and enjoying the ride. The geometry is exactly what I was looking for. here’s a few pics

Ooh nice! Well, welcome to the Wabi experience

Hopefully, you'll come to love yours as much as I do mine. They really do ride nice. Congrats!
Old 07-26-20, 09:27 AM
Biketiger

Bikes: 1st Track bike: 1978 Speedwell titanium 1st Road bike: 2001 Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 65 Posts
I'm glad to hear Wabi is still going strong!

Last edited by Biketiger; 07-26-20 at 09:30 AM.
Old 07-26-20, 09:29 AM
Biketiger

Bikes: 1st Track bike: 1978 Speedwell titanium 1st Road bike: 2001 Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 65 Posts
I’m from So Cali and everything is flat here so i went with the 46/16t and upgraded to the Deluxe freewheel. I’m not sure of the difference but am hoping it’s worth the upgrade. I was thinking of buying the white industries but it so damn noisy.
I've owned two White Industry eno freewheels and they BUZZ LOUD due to all the extra palls they use.
Old 08-21-20, 12:00 PM
Zeuloa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Congratulations on those beautiful Wabi!!! If you don’t mind me asking OP, how tall are you and what is your inseam?

thanks!
Old 08-23-20, 06:38 PM
sdimattia

Originally Posted by Zeuloa
Congratulations on those beautiful Wabi!!! If you don’t mind me asking OP, how tall are you and what is your inseam?

thanks!
I'm 5'1", inseam is 29"

Excuse the late reply, been busy riding and working. If you're on the fence between the 42cm and 49cm, I'd definitely try the sizes out first. I've got a 75mm saddle to handlebar drop. For me, that puts me at thr extreme end of my comfort limits. If you're taller than me and your inseam can fit the standover of a 49cm (30" I think vs 28" on the 42cm), I'd recommend maybe sizing up so the drop won't be so extreme. Of course, it's completely up to you!
Old 08-25-20, 04:02 PM
walnutz

Bikes: CO-OP ADV 3.1 aka Beeftank (stolen, RIP), State All-Road

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
Been wanting a Wabi for a long time. They just sent an update (because I had asked to be notified when they restock) that they have some limited incoming Classic frames. One is is a nice dark green and one is a blue that reminds me of 70s bikes.
I would assume these will go fast: https://wabicycles.com/products/wabi...eid=20987ea31f

I ordered one and will update later.
Old 08-25-20, 08:40 PM
garygorgor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Slick
Old 08-25-20, 08:51 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
I have a Wabi Special and a Classic. Both are the smoothest riding bikes I have ever owned and I've owned some very smooth riding bikes over the decades. As far as bang for the buck, it's hard to beat a Wabi.

My Classic...

Likes For drlogik:
Old 08-28-20, 03:29 PM
sdimattia

Originally Posted by walnutz
Been wanting a Wabi for a long time. They just sent an update (because I had asked to be notified when they restock) that they have some limited incoming Classic frames. One is is a nice dark green and one is a blue that reminds me of 70s bikes.
I would assume these will go fast: https://wabicycles.com/products/wabi...eid=20987ea31f

I ordered one and will update later.
I saw those new colors, very pretty! Which color did you end up ordering? Or, I guess I could be patient and wait to see . . .
Likes For sdimattia:
Old 08-28-20, 05:10 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

I saw those new colors, very pretty! Which color did you end up ordering? Or, I guess I could be patient and wait to see . . .

hey Sd how you doing? Did you ever get the bullhorns? How do they look?
Old 08-28-20, 05:28 PM
sdimattia

hey Sd how you doing? Did you ever get the bullhorns? How do they look?
I did get the bulls. The reach on the horns was a tad long for me, which is important since I'd be running bar end brake levers. Currently have the compact drops back on but I'm hanging on to the bullhorns for the future. (Or if anybody has a recommendation for bullhorns with short horns and a 75-80mm reach, let me know. I've already looked at Nitto and Easton).

How're you liking your Wabi?
Old 08-28-20, 05:45 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

I did get the bulls. The reach on the horns was a tad long for me, which is important since I'd be running bar end brake levers. Currently have the compact drops back on but I'm hanging on to the bullhorns for the future. (Or if anybody has a recommendation for bullhorns with short horns and a 75-80mm reach, let me know. I've already looked at Nitto and Easton).

How're you liking your Wabi?
thats another reason why I went with the top mount brake levers. Maybe you should change brake levers before buying another set of bars? The only time I use end of my bars is when I’m hitting headwind and I need to get low and stretch out. I also reverse my stem up which helped my reach and took a lot of pressure off my upper body. Took sometime adjusting my bars up and down to find the sweet spot.

I’m loving the ride and been riding 30miles x4 days a week. I did run into some minor cosmetic issues and a defective deluxe freewheel but wabi is replacing the bike with a new one. They let me keep this until I receive the replacement bike. I ended up grabbing a 16t white industries freewheel and fabric elite scoop shallow saddle.
Old 08-28-20, 06:22 PM
sdimattia

thats another reason why I went with the top mount brake levers. Maybe you should change brake levers before buying another set of bars? The only time I use end of my bars is when I’m hitting headwind and I need to get low and stretch out. I also reverse my stem up which helped my reach and took a lot of pressure off my upper body. Took sometime adjusting my bars up and down to find the sweet spot.

I’m loving the ride and been riding 30miles x4 days a week. I did run into some minor cosmetic issues and a defective deluxe freewheel but wabi is replacing the bike with a new one. They let me keep this until I receive the replacement bike. I ended up grabbing a 16t white industries freewheel and fabric elite scoop shallow saddle.
Dang, too bad it wasn't alright the first time around. But I'm glad they're fixing it! Are they giving you one of the new models or whatever stock they had left from the 2019/20 run?

I usually ride the hoods on my dropbars and occasionally on the tops. I rarely use the drops which is why I was looking at bullhorns. Especially in NYC, I appreciate the greater control I have on the hoods versus the tops and I don't mind being a little stretched most of the time which is why I'd prefer bar-ends. But I have nothing against top mount levers! Just not ideal for me.

And I could pop the stem upwards but at the same time, I do love that parallel look . . . Honestly, there was nothing wrong with the drops that are currently on the bike. I just figured if I wasn't using the drops, bull horns are essentially drop bars without the drops.
Old 08-28-20, 06:29 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Dang, too bad it wasn't alright the first time around. But I'm glad they're fixing it! Are they giving you one of the new models or whatever stock they had left from the 2019/20 run?

I usually ride the hoods on my dropbars and occasionally on the tops. I rarely use the drops which is why I was looking at bullhorns. Especially in NYC, I appreciate the greater control I have on the hoods versus the tops and I don't mind being a little stretched most of the time which is why I'd prefer bar-ends. But I have nothing against top mount levers! Just not ideal for me.

And I could pop the stem upwards but at the same time, I do love that parallel look . . . Honestly, there was nothing wrong with the drops that are currently on the bike. I just figured if I wasn't using the drops, bull horns are essentially drop bars without the drops.
yea I know, I really liked pearl white color. They are sending me the new color rhodium blue. I’ll post a pic when I get it, hopefully in a few weeks. Which drops do you have? I will soon buy one just to have a second bar to switch things up.
Old 08-28-20, 06:37 PM
sdimattia

yea I know, I really liked pearl white color. They are sending me the new color rhodium blue. I’ll post a pic when I get it, hopefully in a few weeks. Which drops do you have? I will soon buy one just to have a second bar to switch things up.
Eh, maybe that color switch is a blessing in disguise Don't know how grimy it gets where you live but after 4 months and a car crash, my bike has a permanent coating of scratches and grease. Even that Mineral Gray color starts to look a little dingy if I don't wash it down every week or so. I'm using Wabi's Compact Drops, they work perfect for me (at 5'1"). I find the distance to the drops on standard drop bars to deep.

I'm curious to see that blue in person, it's certainly pretty looking in their Photoshop pictures. I'm thinking about taking my bike over to the powdercoating place before the 2021 spring season starts and painting my bike a nice hotrod red. The white/gray is sleek but it's just gets soooo damn dirty!
Old 08-28-20, 06:44 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Eh, maybe that color switch is a blessing in disguise Don't know how grimy it gets where you live but after 4 months and a car crash, my bike has a permanent coating of scratches and grease. Even that Mineral Gray color starts to look a little dingy if I don't wash it down every week or so. I'm using Wabi's Compact Drops, they work perfect for me (at 5'1"). I find the distance to the drops on standard drop bars to deep.

I'm curious to see that blue in person, it's certainly pretty looking in their Photoshop pictures. I'm thinking about taking my bike over to the powdercoating place before the 2021 spring season starts and painting my bike a nice hotrod red. The white/gray is sleek but it's just gets soooo damn dirty!
i feel you on the dirt. I wipe the bike down after every ride but still have some grease marks behind the chainring.

The rhodium blue is a little darker compared to their photoshop pics. They just posted the pictures of the frame which looks closer to its actual color.

hotred will look sick!

Likes For jay4usc:
Old 08-28-20, 09:42 PM
walnutz

I went with green because it’s such an unusual color for bikes and I’ve just also like dark green in general. It should arrive Sunday and I’ll have some time midweek to build it up.
Old 08-29-20, 07:11 PM
sdimattia

I went with green because it’s such an unusual color for bikes and I’ve just also like dark green in general. It should arrive Sunday and I’ll have some time midweek to build it up.
Ooh nice, I'm excited to see how both your bikes turn out! Wabi party . . .
Old 09-01-20, 02:13 PM
walnutz

As promised, here she is. Frame arrived after a few days in FedEx purgatory. Box looked beat up, so I was a bit worried, but the frame was packed very well and there were no issues. When I ordered I didn't think about how all the parts I had are black, so I wish I had ordered the black headset lol oh well. Stem and bars will be switched out, and the seatpost might have to go too because I can't tilt my Brooks back anymore.

I was able to ride around a parking lot for a bit and it's definitely a springy frame. Feels good; nothing mind-blowing. Everything has a quality feel and look. Paint is good, but I maaaaybe wish I had gone with blue. The green in person is nothing eye-catching, but it's nice and like I said earlier, it's very unique. Anyway, I plan on riding more tomorrow and can report back. For now, here are pics:

Likes For walnutz:
Old 09-01-20, 02:46 PM
coopman

Bikes: Specialized Roll Sport Low Entry and Bianchi Super Pista

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 44 Posts
Is that a decent weld where the bottom tube meets the head tube? It looks a bit ragged in the photo.
Old 09-01-20, 03:44 PM
walnutz

Originally Posted by coopman
Is that a decent weld where the bottom tube meets the head tube? It looks a bit ragged in the photo.
They look fine to me in person. I think the light and reflections in the photo make the welds look a little weird.
Old 09-01-20, 03:50 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

They look fine to me in person. I think the light and reflections in the photo make the welds look a little weird.

could be the clear coat? Here’s a picture of my pearl white classic, the clear is not as shiny as yours but just for comparison on the welds.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.