Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

City Issued Bicycle License

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-20, 10:34 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,602 Times in 2,907 Posts

Way back when, cities used to issue/sell bicycle licenses. Typically it was a foil sticker with a serial number placed on the downtube. Supposedly if a bike was stolen and the thief was a complete moron and didn’t remove the sticker, the owner could be tracked down. Do believe the serial number under the crank was also recorded. Do cities even do this anymore? (Yes this is my troll thread for the haters).

Old 11-14-20, 10:44 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
My state mandates license. Enforced at retail sale and managed by the counties (we don't have cities as such). If you bring a bike in it's up to you to get the registration, but your bike can be confiscated if it doesn't have the license sticker. You also get a registration form that you use when selling the bike, sort of like an auto title. If you buy a bike from a private party and don't get the transfer, it's on you if it's stolen.

scott s.
Old 11-15-20, 09:49 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
At the police department I worked at, it was not a city ordinance but our department would engrave numbers on a bike for people, and I think they would also keep a record of the serial number. I don't think that having a law mandating a bike license is the way to go. Rather it's best for bike owners to keep a record of their serial number which can be given to police in case the bike is stolen, which will be entered into NCIC. It also wouldn't hurt to use an online bike registration site such as bikeindex.org where you can store the serial number, description and photos.
Old 11-15-20, 10:27 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,640 Times in 943 Posts
I always kind of liked them.

college registration

Last edited by Deal4Fuji; 11-15-20 at 10:31 AM.
Likes For Deal4Fuji:
Old 11-15-20, 10:32 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
https://city.milwaukee.gov/cityclerk...icycle-License
Old 11-15-20, 11:25 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by scott967
My state mandates license. Enforced at retail sale and managed by the counties (we don't have cities as such). If you bring a bike in it's up to you to get the registration, but your bike can be confiscated if it doesn't have the license sticker. You also get a registration form that you use when selling the bike, sort of like an auto title. If you buy a bike from a private party and don't get the transfer, it's on you if it's stolen.

scott s.
which authoritarian hellhole is this?
Likes For Litespud:
Old 11-15-20, 12:36 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
When we were kids, our town issued stickers with serial numbers to put on each bike. I assume it was just a taxing thing, sort of like the windshield stickers many suburbs issue. But I'm not sure it was ever enforced; it just seemed like kind of an "honor system" thing. Our family never got the stickers. My parents were devout followers of rules, but even more than that, they were cheap. Five or ten or fifteen (or whatever) dollars a year for each bike? No way they'd pay it.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 11-15-20, 12:38 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Hawaii. It's only a one-time $15 so not a biggie (LBS/big box store bundles it into the purchase price) but not paying is like tax evasion. I won't make other political comments regarding how the state is managed.

scott s.
Old 11-15-20, 12:48 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Doesn't the swiss have number plates for their bicycles? Or is it "only" an insurance sticker?
Old 11-15-20, 12:56 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
you are supposed to have a tag here, but bike shops can't issue them. It's a really bad system, fortunately no enforcement.
You can change someone's registration without proof of purchase. Basically they have them for no reason whatsoever.
Old 11-15-20, 01:08 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
BITD, they did actual license plates. Not sure how effective they'd be in identifying stolen bikes as they'd be trivial to remove.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
SAM_0228.JPG (105.6 KB, 288 views)
Old 11-15-20, 03:07 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
No bike licensing or registration by state of Indiana or Indianapolis.
Old 11-15-20, 03:26 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Madison WI had a requirement you register your bike. It wasn't expensive and was a one-time payment of a dollar or two when you bought a new bike. The form did include the serial number but I am doubtful it really made a difference in getting back your stolen bike. A customer brought a bike he had purchased from the annual police auction in to the local bike co-op. It sat in the front window waiting for repairs when the original owner happened to go by the shop and see his bike in the window. He had the original bill of sale with the serial number matching the bike so managed to get it returned. It looked as though the police did not match serial numbers on the bikes they auctioned off with their database since the bike had been registered by the original owner.
Likes For VegasTriker:
Old 11-15-20, 03:37 PM
R200

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
BITD, they did actual license plates. Not sure how effective they'd be in identifying stolen bikes as they'd be trivial to remove.
That license plate isn't very "aero", it's like a little drag chute!
Old 11-15-20, 03:40 PM
Helldorado

Bikes: Cervelo Aspero Apex1x 2020; Giant Escape Disc modified commuter 2021

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 44 Posts

scott s.
Yeah, but its not enforced. HPD got more important things to worry about that bikes with no stickers. I wouldn't bother.
Old 11-15-20, 04:04 PM
Pratt

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
How do they handle tourists/transients and people who move from out of state?
Hawaii, I can understand few bicycle tourists.
Old 11-15-20, 04:21 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
Sorry but I do not want the state getting involved in my riding a bike.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 11-15-20, 07:28 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by bruce19
Sorry but I do not want the state getting involved in my riding a bike.
As a fact, I know that was not the question. Isn’t there a forum for opinions?

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-15-20, 08:22 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 2,304 Times in 1,114 Posts
In the little town I grew up in back in the mid 70s, the norm was for people to take their new bikes to city hall to register the serial number. But when a bike came up missing, everyone went to the usual suspects. If they were lucky they got there before the drop bars were turned upwards and the thing received a fresh coat of paint from a rattle can.

I do see a lot of old 70s bikes on craigslist with city license stickers and I like them as much as shop stickers.
Likes For Chuck M:
Old 11-15-20, 08:56 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I just claim mine is an automatic weapon, so I don't have to register it or get a license.

But, seriously, the truth is even more odd.

I am "required" to have a license/registration within city limits. I don't live within city limits, so I am only on the wrong side of The Law when I bike into town. Registration is free, but it requires a serial number. I have a custom bike that does not have a serial number, so I cannot register it. Therefore, presumably, I cannot ride it into town.

This also raises an interesting question: If I live in a different town that requires registration and I have the bike registered there, am I allowed to ride it into my local town without re-registering it locally? If I live somewhere that does not require registration (as I do), why should that be any different?

The local town does not charge for this, so it is not a question of revenue (which would at least explain the idiocy).

I am looking forward to bringing it to the Supreme Court, as this clearly demands judicial review.

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 11-15-20 at 09:01 PM.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 11-16-20, 12:50 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by wgscott
I just claim mine is an automatic weapon, so I don't have to register it or get a license.

But, seriously, the truth is even more odd.

I am "required" to have a license/registration within city limits. I don't live within city limits, so I am only on the wrong side of The Law when I bike into town. Registration is free, but it requires a serial number. I have a custom bike that does not have a serial number, so I cannot register it. Therefore, presumably, I cannot ride it into town.

This also raises an interesting question: If I live in a different town that requires registration and I have the bike registered there, am I allowed to ride it into my local town without re-registering it locally? If I live somewhere that does not require registration (as I do), why should that be any different?

The local town does not charge for this, so it is not a question of revenue (which would at least explain the idiocy).

I am looking forward to bringing it to the Supreme Court, as this clearly demands judicial review.
Maybe you should switch to rollerblades and save the attorney fees.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-16-20, 05:11 AM
Eric S.

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
When I started college in 1985 Missoula, Montana apparently had a license requirement. You know how a person was notified? Someone would go around campus and put a sticker on your bike notifying you that you needed to pay to register your bike. The sticker was a pain to remove, too. But I never registered my bike(s) in the time I lived in Missoula.
Old 11-16-20, 06:59 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts

scott s.
This ^ is a tax. What police state do you live in?
Old 11-16-20, 07:00 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I just claim mine is an automatic weapon, so I don't have to register it or get a license..
"Automatic" means that it's covered by the NFA, in which case you definitely DO need a tax stamp and must register it.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 11-16-20, 07:04 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
I have a custom bike that does not have a serial number, so I cannot register it. Therefore, presumably, I cannot ride it into town.
Go to a bike shop and have them stamp some number/letters on it under the bottom bracket or elsewhere. If for nothing else than for insurance and, if lucky, recovery if found. Register that number with your insurance.
I don't have anything to say about the registration of bikes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.