Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Quick Release problem

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Quick Release problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-13, 06:54 PM
Brand00d

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quick Release problem

Anyone ever have a problem with the quick release not being strong enough to hold on a back wheel. I have a Schwinn Le Tour 89' and i have had the back wheel come loose and get cocked sideways on rides. I have since then learned i need to put it much tighter than the front but i put it so tight the other day that my skewer sploded on me. I bought a new skewer and put it decently tight and still today my tire managed to wiggle its way out a bit and get cocked on me. When i originally purchased the bike (used) it had a axel in the back and quick release in the front . Naturally i wanted to be able to change flats in the back without carrying a wrench but maybe there was a reason he didnt have quick release on in the back. Thoughts?
Old 07-21-13, 07:05 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 618 Posts
What type of QR lever are you using ? The newer style exposed cam has less clamping force. Also, with horizontal dropouts, a serrated outer axle nut will grip the frame better than a smooth nut, to help prevent slippage.

Get a good quality enclosed cam.

https://sheldonbrown.com/skewers.html

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 07-21-13, 07:11 PM
Brand00d

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah, Thanks for the tips and the link. The one i busted was a exposed cam. My new one is a enclosed cam.
Old 07-21-13, 07:19 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 339 Posts
While modern open-cam skewers generate enough clamping force and friction to hold a wheel in a vertical dropout, they are not up to the task of resisting the pull of a chain on a wheel in a horizontal dropout.

Shimano's Dura-Ace skewer is still the last word in holding power, smooth action, and reasonably light weight. Shimano also has a less expensive closed cam skewer that works just fine, or you can have your local shop order good strong skewers from the J&B catalog.
Old 07-21-13, 07:46 PM
tacoshredder

Bikes: Salsa Casseroll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any of the Shimano skewers should work, the recent ones Tiagra/105/Ultegra are all about the same. The important parts: enclosed cam and steel teeth to grip the dropout. The Dura Ace has a nicer finish and the nut is aluminum instead of plastic covered.
Old 07-21-13, 08:03 PM
Brand00d

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dura ace 7900 or 9000?
Old 07-21-13, 08:55 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 618 Posts
No problems with Campy skewers either. Used them for years in the old days of horizontal dropouts.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 07-21-13, 09:56 PM
tacoshredder

Bikes: Salsa Casseroll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dura Ace 9000 has the shark fin aero lever. Mechanically I think all the recent DA are very similar. 7700/7800/7900 only look slightly different in the font and tint on the finish.
Old 07-21-13, 10:00 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Yep, horizontal dropouts are the problem, exacerbated by open cam quick release levers. You have to change one of the two.
Old 07-21-13, 10:06 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Just one last little thing. Check to see what grooving has been left by the nuts and/or QR used previously on this bike. Sometimes, and I have had this happen, on older bikes, the grooving can be deep enough for the serrations on the acorn nut to not have enough metal to grab on to. Use a flat file to level out the grooving and you may have better results.

Here is a discussion on Sheldon Brown's website about acorn nuts and QRs in general:

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/skewers.html
Old 07-21-13, 10:10 PM
Rowan

Oh and another thought... does the hollow axle protrude at all beyond the outsides of the dropouts? If it does, it doesn't matter whether you use an internal or external cam QR, it won't do up.

I ask this because you say this QR axle is replacing a nutted one on the bike previously. On older bikes the dropout width is narrower than for new bikes and their hubs. I am not saying this is exactly the case here, but it is worth checking and eliminating as a problem.

The ends of the axle have to sit inside the dropout; if they don't, a flat file can get them down to the right dimensions fairly quickly.
Old 07-21-13, 10:52 PM
Brand00d

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, i check all this stuff out. My the hollow axel does not extend out past the dropouts rather just sits on them nicely. I actually have horizontal drop out too so that makes this even more confusing. I check to see if there are any bite marks from the previous Q.R skewer and there is no evidence that this acorn nut or the previous one is strong enough to bite into whatever (silver plate) material it needs to grab in order to keep it from slipping. This skewer is a cheap 10.00$ one i got from LBS b4 i had any knowledge of skewers haha. Im debating getting a stronger skewer but im also debating what material is there in the drop outs and if its even made to be used with Q.R at all. Should there be grooves or slight grooves from riding atleast 700 miles on my last Q.R skewer or does groove wear only take place over years of riding?
Old 07-22-13, 12:21 AM
Rowan

Originally Posted by Brand00d
Ok, i check all this stuff out. My the hollow axel does not extend out past the dropouts rather just sits on them nicely. I actually have horizontal drop out too so that makes this even more confusing. I check to see if there are any bite marks from the previous Q.R skewer and there is no evidence that this acorn nut or the previous one is strong enough to bite into whatever (silver plate) material it needs to grab in order to keep it from slipping. This skewer is a cheap 10.00$ one i got from LBS b4 i had any knowledge of skewers haha. Im debating getting a stronger skewer but im also debating what material is there in the drop outs and if its even made to be used with Q.R at all. Should there be grooves or slight grooves from riding atleast 700 miles on my last Q.R skewer or does groove wear only take place over years of riding?
OK, the wear would be over years of riding and changing the wheel in and out numerous times.

The dropouts are likely forged steel, so there should be no problems there.

So it's really down to getting a good quality-internal cam QR with steel acorn insert or acorn itself.
Old 07-22-13, 05:44 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
RWS Ratchet Skewers,https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ1Mw2IG_BQ work pretty well