Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Do you use MUPs/off road trails to commute? Or strictly road?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.
View Poll Results: How's your route constructed?
Strictly vehicular roads
55.29%
I use a MUP/Bike Path type route
64.71%
I use an offroad trail
7.06%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Do you use MUPs/off road trails to commute? Or strictly road?

Old 01-13-15, 10:21 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I take the MUP right outside my apartment for about 6 miles non-stop, then about a mile and a half to the office. I come across more deer than people
Old 01-13-15, 11:24 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I'd use a path if there were one. In 2016 we're moving and I was scoping out Google Maps yesterday, there is a 2 mile hunk of greenway, though on a 25 mile one way commute that's a minor amount and honestly it may not be worth it on the way to work since I have to cross a major road to get to the left side to enter it. I may just opt to ride on the road alongside it for those 2 miles anyway.
Old 01-13-15, 11:29 AM
KenshiBiker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Of my (just under) 14.5 mile commute, a little over 10 miles of it is on a MUP. I'd have to map out the city streets to see if it would be any shorter, but I'd stick with the MUP to stay off the major roads anyway. Besides, the scenery is nicer on the MUP (well, except for this time of year when the scenery is just - dark).
Old 01-13-15, 11:51 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Both road and path for me, plus some parking lots, sidewalk and some grass on my old route.
Old 01-13-15, 12:10 PM
hyhuu

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mostly MUP with some road near the house and the office. It's the only direct and the quickest way to go. With a long commute, any other routes wouldn't be feasible.
Old 01-13-15, 12:59 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7338 Post(s)
Liked 2,438 Times in 1,423 Posts
I use the most heavily used bike path in the US, the Hudson River Greenway. I love it. The views are spectacular. This is my GPS's tracking data from today's ride.

Home to Manhattan College -- Volpe by noglider at Garmin Connect - Details

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-13-15, 01:58 PM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
All roads. I wouldn't mind having part of my ride on a MUP - and in a few years the part closest to my office might very well be. There are plans in the works for the ever expanding behemoth that is the University of South Carolina to expand towards the river (and the area of the city my office is in) and it sounds like they are going to develop a park with a mixed use road letting me off 2 blocks from my office. I look forward to it, as it can be a dangerous part of the commute when riding around the school and have seen one college kid taken out on part of my route.
Old 01-13-15, 02:00 PM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I use the most heavily used bike path in the US, the Hudson River Greenway. I love it. The views are spectacular. This is my GPS's tracking data from today's ride.

Home to Manhattan College -- Volpe by noglider at Garmin Connect - Details
Nice! I don't know if you are familiar with the BikeSnobNYC blog, but the author did a ride down the greenway a few days ago and had some nice pictures. Pretty area.
Old 01-13-15, 02:03 PM
Jiggle

Bikes: BH, Cervelo, Cube, Canyon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I start on a street, then go to a sidewalk, then a MUP, then a singletrack trail, then a fire road, then some singletrack, then a sidewalk, a field, a parking lot, a road, a tunnel, a handicap ramp up the side of a hill, and end in a building. Yay, diversity.
Old 01-13-15, 02:33 PM
CenturionIM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MUP. No cars, no lights. Barely any pedestrian during commute hours.
Old 01-13-15, 02:44 PM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
Most of my commute is on a MUP but a portion of the ride is on the street.
Old 01-13-15, 02:49 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Originally Posted by bmthom.gis
Nice! I don't know if you are familiar with the BikeSnobNYC blog, but the author did a ride down the greenway a few days ago and had some nice pictures. Pretty area.
I know and love the blog, though I don't read it every week. I even met the writer at a talk at Bike Expo in 2013. I'll take a look.

I just took four pictures this morning and posted them here.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 01-13-15, 02:55 PM
bmthom.gis

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I know and love the blog, though I don't read it every week. I even met the writer at a talk at Bike Expo in 2013. I'll take a look.

I just took four pictures this morning and posted them here.
That ice in the river....brrrr
Old 01-13-15, 02:57 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by bmthom.gis
That ice in the river....brrrr
It's a cold day and getting colder by the hour, but what you can't see is the wind. I had headwinds today like nothing I've had in a long time. It made the trip very hard. I really really hope the wind direction remains the same so it will be a strong tailwind on my way home tonight.

Bike paths are being built everywhere. I didn't see the point of them, since I'm confident in lots of difficult conditions. But now that I get to use them a lot, I love them. They're not perfect, but I usually prefer them.

Old 01-13-15, 03:04 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,012 Times in 518 Posts
I will ride almost any of the above choices. I have a variety of routes that depend on the conditions, my condition, the bike and how much time I have. The quickest route is 8.5, all roads, some roads require biking in the traffic lanes. Last Thursday, with 2 to 3 inches fresh snow, I took the 13.5 mile route that has about 1 mile of roads; all the roads are slow residential streets.

The one thing I always avoid is the sidewalk - I'll ride some sidepaths, but really don't like to. I've too many near-misses using the sidepaths.
Old 01-13-15, 03:16 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2590 Post(s)
Liked 1,921 Times in 1,205 Posts
No more than 3/4 mile (out of 9 miles) of MUP. It's poorly maintained, between tree limbs and roots, so I've come to prefer an 11 mile alternative that eliminates the MUP.
Old 01-13-15, 04:06 PM
LokiWolflord

Bikes: 2015 Motobecane Fantom Cross, 2012 Giant Escape 2, 1982 Trek 710

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the morning I've got about 7.5 miles of road and 7.5 miles of what is technically considered MUP. The MUP is a rail trail that is paved all the way, parallels some major thoroughfares most of the distance, and has basically zero greenways. On the way home, I avoid the rail trail until the last 3 miles. There is just too much pedestrian traffic to dodge. Instead, I'm on the road for most of my ride home. I'd like to find some dirt paths that would get me off of the 45 - 55 mph roads. I can't complain about the cage speeds too much, though. The drivers around here are pretty bike conscious. The bike lanes are mostly well-designed are are virtually contiguous. On my way home I'm without a good bike lane for maybe 2 miles. I could take a different route that has a bike lane without any problem, but I can't find a good reason to.

This area is friendly for bicycle commuters. I need to do some more exploring to find some green and dirt between work and home.
Old 01-13-15, 06:34 PM
downwinded

Bikes: 2014 Trek Crossrip LTD, 2013 Raleigh Misceo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For most of the year I use a combination of streets and MUP. The streets are the most direct route, but I like the scenery and wildlife on the MUP.
Old 01-13-15, 06:38 PM
SlowJoeCrow

Bikes: Redline Conquest Pro, Kona Cinder Cone, Trek Fuel EX8(RIP) Pivot Mach 5 frankenbike

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
My route is mixed in both surface and mode. I ride from my house to the train station on mostly paved MUP in a park, then take the train and ride surface streets to work.
Old 01-13-15, 11:31 PM
Lug

Bikes: 2015 Salsa Fargo 3, 2000 Specialized Rockhopper

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Probably 3/4 of my route is usually Campbell Creek Trail (MUP) unless the snow is slushy and then it is the bike route/sidewalk along Dowling and Elmore roads here in Anchorage. The rest is on residential and secondary streets.
Justin
Old 01-13-15, 11:43 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
It depends on the commute. Some of my routes have just been gritty city streets with heavy traffic, but one had a 5 mile portion of 7 mile trip that went through the center of a nature preserve. Not even a MUP, just a path in the dirt. Woohah!

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 01-14-15, 01:43 AM
TxSpeedster
^^^ Drafts unicyclists

Bikes: Black Commutocrosser

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My 10 mile commute into work at 4:00am covers a patchwork of MUPs, residential streets and downtown Dallas thoroughfares. All things considered, it can be a rather pleasant ride at that hour. Without the constraint of a time-clock, the afternoon return ride can feature a leisurely rounding of White Rock Lake, almost entirely on MUPs. The distance varies, but according to which trails are taken as many as 15 miles can be added to the 'commute'

There is a more direct route that shaves 1.5 miles, consisting of almost 100% riding the freeway service roads. However that involves unpredictable crisscrossing traffic trying to enter and exit the expressway and various shopping malls, business centers, restaurants, etc, along with navigating through copious amounts of ever present road debris. No thanks.

Last edited by TxSpeedster; 01-14-15 at 01:49 AM. Reason: Speeling
Old 01-14-15, 04:32 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
I use both MUPs and streets depending on the situation. In the early morning, I ride right down one of the busiest 7 lane thoroughfares through the mall development, because the traffic is going the other way and I have the street and all the business parking lots to myself. In the afternoon, the traffic is impossible so I go a few blocks out of my way and take the MUP.

Marc
Old 01-14-15, 05:30 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by irwin7638
I use both MUPs and streets depending on the situation. In the early morning, I ride right down one of the busiest 7 lane thoroughfares through the mall development, because the traffic is going the other way and I have the street and all the business parking lots to myself. In the afternoon, the traffic is impossible so I go a few blocks out of my way and take the MUP.
So true about being a reverse, early morning commuter. If I leave before about 6:00 AM, I can comfortably ride the outbound side one of Boston’s scariest, but well-tended surface roads (The Jamaicaway) with a curb and no shoulder, right next to a MUP. Meanwhile, the inbound side is already jamming up.

I previously posted to the Living Car Free Forum thread ”Places densely packed with bike trails and most transportation done on bicycles”

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Boston has a pretty good system of MUPS, that are practicably useful for commuting, but I recently posted to a local thread:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
The only trails I ride are those that I know well, but (fortunately) for me I ride my commute early in the AM, and my long rides early on Saturdays, and IMO, almost any road is a good ride at that time of day, better than a MUP or MUT.

For me though, early morning ends at about 6AM on weekdays, 8AM on Saturdays, and 9AM on Sundays. Later in the day is a different matter.

Originally Posted by Ekdog
...I like staying as far away from cars as possible too. That's why I'm partial to bike lanes with physical separation from car lanes and bike trails like the ones you mention. There are, however, many who post here--the so-called vehicular cyclists--who love riding in traffic.
I don't think that vehicular cyclists necessarily "love" riding traffic, but MUPS and MUTS have their own hazards, and more likely auto roads go where we want to be.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 01-14-15 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-14-15, 07:30 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Your poll suffers from the same problem that afflicts most polls on these forums. That is, you assume that the options are mutually exclusive. I would imagine that quite a few commuters use a mix of your options, rather than exclusively road or MUTs. I checked roads on your poll, but my commute route actually includes a 1.5 mile stretch (out of 15 miles total) with a bike lane.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.