Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Nineties GT timberline

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Nineties GT timberline

Old 10-29-19, 10:01 PM
SkierSue

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nineties GT timberline

Does anyone know how old this pictured bike is? It is likely 1994 or so. No suspension, Timberline (but not the "All Terra" version). Can it handle the modern mt bike trails and bike parks? Will it break if I go off a two foot drop?
Old 10-30-19, 07:00 AM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
solid bike and better that it has a rigid fork
Are you really planning to launch 2 footers or slow rollers?
Old 10-30-19, 07:29 AM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 928 Times in 594 Posts
Boy, the GT's sure are coming out of the woodworks all of a sudden. lol
Nice one. Not sure if it will survive trails of today but it depends on what that definition is. So many variants of trails. Now if most of the trails you'll be riding has a lot of two foot jumps then I'd look for at least a hardtail.
Old 10-30-19, 07:36 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 430 Posts
Don't know how old yours is, but I'm still riding my '96 (frame) Timberline on the trails. All parts on it have been replaced or upgraded over the years, including a Manitou Axel suspension fork (which seems to work much better than the reviews it used to get-I did tear the fork down and go over it before I ever put it on the bike). The frame on yours looks very similar to mine (except mine is all blue) and I've been riding it since '96, so you should be good to go.
Old 10-30-19, 07:54 AM
grubetown

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
I would not recommend riding on modern trails and bike parks with this bike. More old school, rails to trails, things like that will be fine, but everything from brakes to suspension to geometry has changed since that bike was made. I would ride it and start saving for something new if you really want to ride modern trails and bike parks.
Old 10-30-19, 04:10 PM
qclabrat

Originally Posted by grubetown
I would not recommend riding on modern trails and bike parks with this bike. More old school, rails to trails, things like that will be fine, but everything from brakes to suspension to geometry has changed since that bike was made. I would ride it and start saving for something new if you really want to ride modern trails and bike parks.
I agree not bike parks like DH, but why not singletrack XC trails? As long as the bike is safe and rider doesn't go nuts, I don't see why its not trail ready. I have two similar bikes which are fine at my local STs.
Likes For qclabrat:
Old 10-31-19, 09:04 PM
SkierSue

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I agree. It won't handle two foot drops with that fork, but simple singletrack riding should be safe. I want a shorter stem for it : what are the size requirements of the headtube? I have a full suspension bike at home, and this one is just for my trip to Texas for two weeks.
Old 10-31-19, 09:07 PM
SkierSue

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Freeranger: what size fork can it accommodate? Also I want to put on a shorter stem - can you tell me how to pick one that will fit in the head tube?

Last edited by SkierSue; 10-31-19 at 09:07 PM. Reason: to notify Freeranger
Old 11-01-19, 06:08 AM
qclabrat

Originally Posted by SkierSue
Freeranger: what size fork can it accommodate? Also I want to put on a shorter stem - can you tell me how to pick one that will fit in the head tube?
Looks like an older quill stem, but not sure with one photo. Based off on the year it's likely a 1.125" steerer. Can you try to remove the stem to check the type and size?
Old 11-01-19, 09:30 AM
SkierSue

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks, the bike is in Texas and I won't be there until Sunday. I will take it off and go to the LBS for another stem. It is probably 1 1/8 as you said.
Old 11-02-19, 02:32 PM
freeranger

It's only been 12 to 13 years since I put the fork on. But I think it was a 1-1/8 steerer. Looked up the headset bearings, which is this: https://www.ebay.com/p/2254335852?iid=202779162516&chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=202779162516&targetid=595069375843&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9014163&poi=&campa ignid=2086170139&mkgroupid=80119577747&rlsatarget=pla-595069375843&abcId=1141016&merchantid=8161674&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvK3X863M5QIVy56zCh2HGwB3EAQYASABEgIY LfD_BwE so it is a 1-1/8 steerer. You'll either want to have a shop press them in, or you can with a threaded rod with bolts and large washers. The fork on mine is a Manitou Axel Comp-80mm travel. Longer and you may adversely affect geometry. Of course, the steerer is straight, not tapered as are modern steerers. You'll probably want to upgrade brakes also, maybe to linear pull v's, or maybe even discs (depending on what you can use with the fork). When I was upgrading my bike, I got all the parts very reasonable and I enjoy fixing things up, so if you're doing it yourself, have a blast. BTW--I went threadless, should have mentioned that, as it can make a lot of difference when sourcing parts! The only part left of my '96 GT that was on the bike is frame only-everything else was put on as needed (worn out or broken).

Last edited by freeranger; 11-02-19 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-02-19, 06:02 PM
SkierSue

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
stem id

Hey, thanks! Don't know if I will put much $$ into this bike, as it is only for when I visit where it is stored: Texas. I like doing stuff myself, and with your info and YouTube, I might try it! The bike is old enough to come from the era when I did all my own work. My newest bike is full suspension with disc brakes and I am learning all about it now.
Old 11-02-19, 07:33 PM
freeranger

Know what you mean about the $$. Mine started out as a 94, on which a weld didn't hold on the frame, and GT replaced the frame under warranty. Then parts got replaced gradually until it became the bike I have now. So, in actuality, there is nothing really left of the original bike. It wasn't done all at once, except the fork, headset bearings, handlebars and stem did get done all at one time. If I'd done everything at one time, I would have probably noticed what I was spending--so probably better that it took place a bit at a time, instead of all at once!!
Likes For freeranger:
Old 11-04-19, 11:13 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by SkierSue
Hey, thanks! Don't know if I will put much $$ into this bike, as it is only for when I visit where it is stored: Texas. I like doing stuff myself, and with your info and YouTube, I might try it! The bike is old enough to come from the era when I did all my own work. My newest bike is full suspension with disc brakes and I am learning all about it now.
Putting a modern fork, shorter stem and risers would bring that bike a bit more up to date, but by the time you have done that, you will have thrown a load of money at it, and still have a pretty low end bike from 1994 (nothing wrong with lower-end bike, but that's what it is).

The killer is the threaded headset, which would require a lot of parts to be changed no matter what you do, as unless you can source a correct size stem in the correct length, going threadless is the only real option, and that cost, if you were looking to change the fork, again you would need to go threadless.

If you had all the parts that's different, but if looking to buy, either new or 2nd hand, availability and cost will be an issue.

For the All Terra you mention, GT used this as branding, it didn't mean anything extra, pretty sure that 1993 was the last year (in the '90s) that this was used (I had a '93 Tequesta which had it) there were also Triple Triangle marking which look to have been dropped for the 1994 model year.
Old 11-04-19, 10:29 PM
SkierSue

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jimc101
Putting a modern fork, shorter stem and risers would bring that bike a bit more up to date, but by the time you have done that, you will have thrown a load of money at it, and still have a pretty low end bike from 1994 (nothing wrong with lower-end bike, but that's what it is).

The killer is the threaded headset, which would require a lot of parts to be changed no matter what you do, as unless you can source a correct size stem in the correct length, going threadless is the only real option, and that cost, if you were looking to change the fork, again you would need to go threadless.

If you had all the parts that's different, but if looking to buy, either new or 2nd hand, availability and cost will be an issue.

For the All Terra you mention, GT used this as branding, it didn't mean anything extra, pretty sure that 1993 was the last year (in the '90s) that this was used (I had a '93 Tequesta which had it) there were also Triple Triangle marking which look to have been dropped for the 1994 model year.
Actually I found out today that you can by a quill to modern stem adapter for about $25. It still has an expander bolt type fixation method, but the top of it has a 1 1/8" top that you can put a modern stem on. So for about 50 bucks (if you buy a used stem) you can modernize it. I probably won't do it, but other than that, the only thing I would do is get better brakes.
Old 11-05-19, 02:10 PM
qclabrat

I was going to suggest the stem adapter also, I've used it on my Klein Rascal with good results.
Old 11-14-19, 02:15 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
have fun! I'm on my 3rd! you might enjoy this thread