Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Who's using Platform/Flat pedals?

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Who's using Platform/Flat pedals?

Old 11-18-19, 09:01 AM
Jeff of Vt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I'm officially a very recent flat pedal convert. I've been using clipless for years and before than only used old school touring and ubiquitous cheap slick all-plastic pedals before then.

Trying these new screw-cleat platforms feels like discovering a secret that has long been kept from me. They're every bit as secure as clipless and using these pedals is breaking me of a lot of bad habits instilled in me by clipless. It's really nice being able to wear any footwear I desire and be able to throw my foot out without having to fight to get back in while climbing rough terrain.

Contrary to my preconceived notions, I will not need any clips or straps with these pedals. The grip is that good. I do not see myself going back to clipless even when the weather warms up.
Old 11-20-19, 07:49 PM
Chester

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
fwiw - I like modified toe cages w/o straps. I just snap off the top & file them smooth. feels like just the right amount of foot retention, for me. easy on & easy off (the road bike as cleated pedals/shoes)
Just in case you're not aware of their existence and you'd prefer them, or won't have an old pair of clips lying around to modify in the future: there are "half clips" that are designed to just provide the coverage like your modified full clips, also without straps, but generally built up a bit beefier to be more resistant to bending.

I use a pair of MKS steel half clips on a commuter bike that I like because it allows me to wear much larger shoes (i.e. boots) without having to adjust straps but still have quite a bit of clip retention.
Old 11-21-19, 05:22 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
Originally Posted by Chester
Just in case you're not aware of their existence and you'd prefer them, or won't have an old pair of clips lying around to modify in the future: there are "half clips" that are designed to just provide the coverage like your modified full clips, also without straps, but generally built up a bit beefier to be more resistant to bending.I use a pair of MKS steel half clips on a commuter bike that I like because it allows me to wear much larger shoes (i.e. boots) without having to adjust straps but still have quite a bit of clip retention.
thank you! I've tried the plastic 1/2 clips but they were too small & tight. after I made mine I found out about the ones you use. they are nice indeed! I'd still add my DIY extensions & pedal extenders (cuz I like big winter boots), which I've shown in other threads. if I remember, I'll come back & show what I mean. you might like to do the same for the winter

oh here we go, see post #3
https://www.bikeforums.net/winter-cy...l#post21217321
Old 11-21-19, 07:42 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
What a fad. Platforms with those long set-screw allen bolts to grip into your 5Ten faddish shoes. You will end up with holes in the front of your lower legs from those long spikes.
Try best of both worlds. Short spikes, relatively large platform, SPD on the other side for when you get the long stretch of road.
https://www.rei.com/product/116154/s...SABEgJ2CPD_BwE
Old 11-21-19, 08:18 AM
stormpeakco

Bikes: Fatback Corvus 1X12 (27.5X 2.8" & winter 26X 4.6"), Merlin Agilis 1X11

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
DMRs w/ 5-10s...resulting more rock strikes than w/ the old Crank Bros Candy, but these pedals can take a beating as do the shins (rare occasions, think meat tenderizing) but more confidence = more aggressive riding (knowing a sudden, "hopefully" painless escape plan may be quickly assembled).
Also hike-a-bike sections are much less worrisome (think the sand stone rocks @ Horsethief/Loma-Fruita).
Likes For stormpeakco:
Old 11-21-19, 08:46 AM
mtbronbo

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
for 15 years used clipless until broke ankle and leg when toe caught a rock at high speed leaning into corner; switched to flats, went back to clipless and 3 months later went off 10' drop unable to clip out in time. Back to flats since. Shoes made for flats are almost as secure as clipless. Good shoes and pedals.
Likes For mtbronbo:
Old 11-21-19, 11:42 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
What a fad. Platforms with those long set-screw allen bolts to grip into your 5Ten faddish shoes. You will end up with holes in the front of your lower legs from those long spikes.
Try best of both worlds. Short spikes, relatively large platform, SPD on the other side for when you get the long stretch of road.
https://www.rei.com/product/116154/s...SABEgJ2CPD_BwE
Yes, a fad. A fad going on since the 19th century
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 11-21-19, 07:20 PM
Chester

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
thank you! I've tried the plastic 1/2 clips but they were too small & tight. after I made mine I found out about the ones you use. they are nice indeed! I'd still add my DIY extensions & pedal extenders (cuz I like big winter boots), which I've shown in other threads. if I remember, I'll come back & show what I mean. you might like to do the same for the winter

oh here we go, see post #3
https://www.bikeforums.net/winter-cy...l#post21217321
Ah, wow, you had to really consider this. My feet are way smaller and so I can even wear really bulky hiking boots with off-the-shelf half-clips.

I'm only getting back into MTB now and plan on running flat pedals and sticky shoes while I get a sense of how I can handle various terrain.
Old 11-21-19, 07:51 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Yes, a fad. A fad going on since the 19th century
Smartazz
Old 11-22-19, 07:34 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
Originally Posted by Chester
plan on running flat pedals and sticky shoes while I get a sense of how I can handle various terrain.
took a hybrid out of hibernation this summer to ride with Wifey & the family on vacation. it had regular pedals & I was fine. almost made me reconsider everything I've done. "almost"
Likes For rumrunn6: