Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Reading glasses - for on trail fixes

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-19, 09:42 AM
marcw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I do not need a pair of glasses when i ride, but if i have an issue if I might need a pair of my reading glasses to fix the problem on the trail. I use a tool saddle bag and carry no tools in a pocket or any other place than in the saddle bag. Does any one have a suggestion to keep a pair of reading glasses on my bike and have the glasses not get all scratch up as i ride. If I put a pair of glasses in my saddle bag, they will scratch and break.

thanks
Old 11-30-19, 09:46 AM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
Hang them on my collar, in a pocket or in my bag. Its large enough to hold a bunch of stuff. I use the cheap Pharmacy type glasses so if they were to get broken I wouldn't be too upset.
Old 11-30-19, 10:10 AM
DW_Thomas

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 5

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There are slim "Ben Franklin" style readers that come in a rigid plastic case with a pocket clip that is pretty small. There are also readers that fold in half and come in a case that's fairly compact (Foster Grant is one brand). Whether either is compact enough, only you can decide. The pharmacy chains like CVS and Walgreens have them, although they are a tiny percentage of their selection. I've no direct experience to cite as I have enough astigmatism that I wear my progressives all the time.
Old 11-30-19, 10:21 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Ya, I need reading classes to work on the bikes.
I went to Costco and bought something like this 3 pack with cheap cases to keep from scratching.
Had to get the 2.0 magnification
May not be as good as prescription reading classes but gets the job done.
https://www.costco.com/design-optics...100329379.html

Just pack the glasses case in with your tools, extra tube and patch kit.

Last edited by trailangel; 11-30-19 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-06-20, 09:06 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
might try a small mountain feed bag on the bars, a small bike bento bag, or some other small frame bag, like those little triangle bags, or different outer wear. for example my MTB shorts have lots of well designed pockets, maybe there are equally well designed long pants with strategic cargo pockets for the sport?

these (long shorts?) appear to have a strategic pocket on the left thigh Urban Cycling Apparel The Gravel II 1/2 Pants - Long Mountain Bike MTB Baggy Shorts, Magnet Pockets

Last edited by rumrunn6; 01-06-20 at 09:11 AM.
Old 01-06-20, 05:16 PM
Marylander

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 70 Posts
I've bought the foster grant gideon folding glasses for cheap on ebay. Of course, it's not always possible to get them so cheap but you can generally do about half of what the drug stores charge even on a bad day. I'm just getting back into cycling and carry the tools but hadn't thought that I need glasses too or the tools are useless...

Old 01-06-20, 06:58 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,910 Times in 1,140 Posts
I buy the cheap readers from my local store for about $2. I have a prescription for reading glasses after having cataract surgery. I requested distance vision lenses, which work fine for 300 yds., but not for up close. So the decision to buy cheap readers, or spring for the prescription ones. I think I have ten pairs around the shop and on my head, and even with a few scratches on the lenses, I can still see well enuf for a quick repair. Find a soft cloth bag for them and they will be fine in your kit. Smiles, MH
Old 01-06-20, 07:46 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
As others have said, buy a pair of cheap readers and wrap them in two or three sheets of blue shop towel, fastened with an elastic band. Put them in the tool bag. Now you have readers and shop towels!
Old 02-15-20, 03:50 PM
RandyBaton

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I find a pair of reading glasses on every few rides I didn't feel like I needed them for a while but have kept a few and now use them for fine works. electronics etc.

Have you considered a monocle?
Old 02-15-20, 07:29 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Keep mine in a wentz box with my cash and i d cards....
Old 02-15-20, 08:48 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
Do you wear sunglasses or clear eye protection glasses? It's easy to find inexpensive wraparound safety glasses that look like biking sport glasses with built-in reader patches.

Stick-on readers!
I've been using stick-on readers on my cycling glasses for years. (I have a prescription insert, just for my distance vision, with a +2 stick-on for reading the Garmin or my phone. I have progressive bifocal glasses off the bike.)

Hydrotac is one brand. I cut one lens in half with a razor knife, then moved it around a little, then trimmed it some more until it was right. It sticks on with a drop of water, and won't come off, even rinsing under the faucet. I could peel it off with a fingernail. I've had these same stick-ons for at least 6 years now, and even transferred them to my new distance insert.

So just the handbar area is in close focus, perfect!

Riding glasses, with prescription insert, with reader stick-on: