Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Ibera Handlebar bags (or other rackless handlebar bags)

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-15, 09:28 PM
Shinkers

Bikes: '88 Trek 1200, '91 Trek 1400

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Okay, so I'm looking for a decent way to carry a lunch on longer rides this summer. My lunches tend to reflect my riding style which is leisurely .

Looking at handlebar bags, they seem to be my favorite option. Plenty of room and easy access while riding. On my mountain bike I ride with an Ibera frame pack that I really like. It's a cheap bag that works extremely well for what I wanted. So I got on and looked at the Ibera handlebar bags. Products | IBERA

I've read some about handlebar bags that need to be supported by a front rack. On my bike that is not going to be an option and I'm wondering if the handlebar clamp (with stem brace) would be sturdy enough.

If there are any similar alternatives that'd be better without being grossly more expensive, I'd like to hear them as well.
Old 03-27-15, 09:54 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I have Klick Fix bar bag mounts , from the German Rixen and Kaul company Rixen & Kaul, KLICKfix Adaptersysteme Fahrradzubehör, Solingen, Taschen, Körbe, Werkzeug

They sell their Bag mounting Parts to other Bag makers too , and happen to have made their handlebar bag mount compatible
with the other High Quality German well known Bag Manufacturer Ortlieb

WB Bicycle Gallery: Robert Clark's Koga Miyata WTR this is the Klick Fix Ortlieb bag combo.. from several years ago

the Ortlieb company makes several Handlebar bags , I also use a camera Bag with a R&K wire bag support
and a Basket with a rear of the seat post kit from that company
Old 03-27-15, 03:08 PM
Buffalo Buff

Bikes: 2015 synapse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a handlebar bag from Ibera, their mini commuter bag & rack, and their mini panniers for my frame. I'm happy with all three of them and I think the handlebar bag would suit your intended usage. The commuter bag would as well, but it's noticeably heavier than the handlebar bag.

The mini panniers are a new favorite of mine. Much more convenient having my wallet, keys, phone etc. right in front of my legs than in a seatpost bag.
Old 03-27-15, 05:21 PM
Shinkers

Bikes: '88 Trek 1200, '91 Trek 1400

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Another thing I didn't even think of but will they work with STI?

Saw their frame panniers and figured that at a minimum I'd get those.
Old 03-27-15, 10:26 PM
Buffalo Buff

Bikes: 2015 synapse

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shinkers
Another thing I didn't even think of but will they work with STI?

Saw their frame panniers and figured that at a minimum I'd get those.
Mine does. I know they sell two models of the handlebar bag though, so I can't vouch for the other. also my bike is sized for a 6'4 rider so that might change things too.

Mine is the slightly larger model with the included rain cover - https://www.amazon.com/Ibera-Quick-Re...keywords=ibera
Old 03-28-15, 07:08 PM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
The Rixen&Kaul/Ortleib handlebar clamp is more common than IBERA clamp. Exended length clamps are available for extra finger room. Many bags + accessories can fit a R&K std clamp
With STI, the bag width and side access is limitted so I would avoid external pockets

IBERA clamp, like R&K uses a stem brace to resist rotation, which is the best system.