Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Texas
Reload this Page >

Can I get some Austin ride recommendations please?

Search
Notices

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-10, 06:38 PM
abqtj

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'll be in town to visit my mom later this month (and for a conference) and I'd like to get in a ride if I could.

Does anyone have any recommendations for the Austin area? I'd prefer to start around the 290 and William Cannon area if possible. Hoping for around a 25-40 mile loop or out and back. I'll likely be riding during the mid morning during the week, so if traffic is a problem please let me know.

And yeah, I'm missing the Livestrong ride by a week

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-02-10, 06:53 PM
CardiacKid
SNARKY MEMBER

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
From 290 and Wm Cannon, you are rear several great roads for riding. You can go south on Escarpment until you connect with Loop 45. From there you can either take the route known as the Turnpike or you can go to the veloway for some traffic free miles. You can go the other direction and ride on Southwest Parkway. From there you can connect with Bee Cave Rd and Capital of Texas Hwy.
Old 10-02-10, 06:58 PM
abqtj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That sounds perfect, my mom lives off of Escarpment and Davis Lane, so I kind of know that area. Looks like I can start from her house without any problem, then.
Old 10-04-10, 06:37 AM
alpha_bravo
Mr. Sparkle

Bikes: 08 Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I would say Dam Loop is a must ride IMHO. It's about 40 miles with about 2500 feet of climbing. There are add ons for extra distance and hills if you want. Basically start on 360, head west on 2722, take 620 south and Bee Caves road back east to 360. Be sure to take Bee Caves Pkwy to bypass hwy 71.

I also enjoy riding west of Zilker park. There are quite a few steep hills in that area. It's easy to map out a small 20 mile loop with over 2000 feet of climbing by taking Stratford to Red Bud Trail, Toro Canyon, etc.

I'll try to post some routes later when I get back to a real computer.
Old 10-04-10, 05:00 PM
abqtj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alpha_bravo
I would say Dam Loop is a must ride IMHO. It's about 40 miles with about 2500 feet of climbing. There are add ons for extra distance and hills if you want. Basically start on 360, head west on 2722, take 620 south and Bee Caves road back east to 360. Be sure to take Bee Caves Pkwy to bypass hwy 71.

I also enjoy riding west of Zilker park. There are quite a few steep hills in that area. It's easy to map out a small 20 mile loop with over 2000 feet of climbing by taking Stratford to Red Bud Trail, Toro Canyon, etc.

I'll try to post some routes later when I get back to a real computer.
Thanks!!
Old 10-05-10, 06:17 PM
L1NUX

Bikes: Blue RD1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's one of the versions of the Dam(n) Loop. https://connect.garmin.com/activity/47317123

It's really an Austin essential. Very pretty scenery, nice hills but nothing too steep, and good shoulders almost the entire way.
Old 10-10-10, 10:57 AM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Here are three routes from your location:
22 miles with some good climbing. Cut through on Lost Creek Drive (right off of Barton Creek) to get over to 360 if you want even more brutal climbing.
55 mile dam loop from your location. If you're so inclined, you can bomb 2222 between 620 and 360 instead of winding through River Place, but it's heavily traveled by cars at high speeds and has sections without shoulders...but plenty of cyclists do it.
37 miles to the south, without much climbing. A popular route amongst triathletes because of long stretches of relatively flat terrain. Two lane country roads without shoulders make some people nervous but I've ridden it many times and always found cars give me plenty of room.

Feel free to ask any questions you might have.

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Old 10-15-10, 04:06 PM
abqtj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the recommendations everybody!

I cobbled together my own ride using pieces of some that were mentioned, and also some I found on mapmyride.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/53074258

Ended up with a 27 miler today, out SW Parkway to 71, the Bee Cave back to Barton Creek and home.

I'll say 71 isn't very bike-friendly right now, as it's under a lot of construction. Lots of one lane with minimal to no shoulder in spots. I don't get nervous, really, but it's certainly not ideal. If I were to ride again, I'd skip 71 until it's finished (at least in that area).

dstrong, your route in that area looks pretty good. I do have a question about the part along Mopac, though. Do you actually get ON Mopac, or is there a feeder road below it in that spot?

Thanks again!

Last edited by abqtj; 10-15-10 at 04:11 PM.
Old 10-15-10, 08:02 PM
dougmc

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro, Strada

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by abqtj
dstrong, your route in that area looks pretty good. I do have a question about the part along Mopac, though. Do you actually get ON Mopac, or is there a feeder road below it in that spot?
Going southwest over the greenbelt on Mopac there is no frontage road or feeder, but there is an adequate shoulder. It's the other side that has no shoulder and is therefore very "extreme".

(It's a good thing too -- going southwest, you're going uphill -- 2 or 3% grade -- so you won't be going too fast.)
Old 10-15-10, 10:38 PM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by dougmc
Going southwest over the greenbelt on Mopac there is no frontage road or feeder, but there is an adequate shoulder. It's the other side that has no shoulder and is therefore very "extreme".

(It's a good thing too -- going southwest, you're going uphill -- 2 or 3% grade -- so you won't be going too fast.)
Yeah...what dougmc said. Don't ride the route counterclockwise! As you approach mopac on 360, you'll get onto feed to mopac and have to cross over a couple lanes to actually get onto mopac (pretty easy). Once you're there it's easy on and easy off with plenty of shoulder.

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Old 10-16-10, 07:09 PM
abqtj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah that makes sense. I saw it a few days before heading north and I was thinking there's NO way I wanted to be on there with no shoulder.
Old 02-11-11, 11:08 AM
c3hamby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In September, I am riding from Round Rock to Little Rock AR.

I will be riding East on 79 to Texarkana.

At the end of the summer as a training ride, I parked at the Wal Mart off of 79 in Round Rock. I left about 7AM and rode to about 20 miles west of Hearne.

Once you get out into the country it is a very nice beautiful ride. There are some spots that don't have shoulders, but cars and especially trucks were very accomodating, and only got a couple of horn blows, which is no more than usual. Light rolling countryside. Take plenty of water-I had a camelback and 1 water bottle. Could have used another. There is one stretch going out where it seems there is no convenience store for re watering, but it was on the other side of the highway overpass that I couldn't see. There was some construction last summer on a 10 mile area, turning a 2 lane into a 4 lane. There was enough room on the shoulder going out, but coming back, there was nothing, so I got on the paved part under construction. I'm sure that's all done by now.

If you are going to do a same day out same day back, make sure and time your return so that you don't conflict with any events going on at the Dell Diamond.

Another nice ride is 360-park at the Barnes and Noble parking lot, or by the fountain more near 360, and ride all the way to where the exit for 71 East is and come back. I do see people taking 71 but I don't know where they go from there. On the return trip to the Arboretum, there is a looooonngggg descent that bottoms out at the 360 bridge. I hit 42 mph, the fastest I have ever gone on a bike. I could have gone faster, but that was enough for me that day. Maybe some other time. Lots of cyclists.

If you are looking for a nice neighborhood ride, Shoal Creek is very popular, especially in the evening or morning. There are big parking lots at 183 and Shoal Creek, You can go all the way down to 38th St. Watch out for runners.
Old 02-15-11, 10:50 AM
walnutz

Bikes: CO-OP ADV 3.1 aka Beeftank (stolen, RIP), State All-Road

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by c3hamby
I will be riding East on 79 to Texarkana.
I drive on 79 occasionally for work and I'm always tempted to bike it someday. Good to know it can be done.