Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Park tool PS-1 / good for pressing pistons?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-24, 05:05 PM
Plainsman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 30 Posts

Folks in the know - I see Park Tool makes a few tools for disc brakes. I actually have the PS-1. First time changing out brake pads. Is this tool also good for pressing the pistons back in, or do I also need to pick up that other one (I think it's the PP 1.2). Thanks in advance! Oh, working on Shimano 105 Hydraulic calipers.
Old 04-08-24, 05:28 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1751 Post(s)
Liked 1,377 Times in 722 Posts
I have always used the park tool disc tool that is shaped like a wedge. Leave old pads in and use the wedge like tool to spread the pads which is the same as pushing the pucks back into caliper body.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 04-08-24, 06:13 PM
Plainsman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 30 Posts
Well, there's a bit of genius that I totally missed. Here I am thinking through the process - remove pads, then reset pistons. But you're totally right, why not use the pads to push the pistons back, and THEN remove the old pads and replace. Thanks!!!
Old 04-08-24, 08:33 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 737 Posts
I just make sure to give the flat screw driver a quick wipe off before wedging it in between the pads and giving a slow twist till the pads are fully seated and them remove them. These tools are just fancy wedges and a flat screw driver will get the job done.
Likes For Russ Roth: