Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-11, 08:54 AM
Braxt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tires?

So I am a brand new rider. Just started this summer, and now that it is cold, I am forced not to ride which is saving me some $$$. Looking back at my riding experiences I NEED NEW TIRES. 2 to 3 Tubes a week is ridiculous. I ride in areas that have no bike trails and bad roads. I need something puncture resistant for sure, but also made with price in mind. I do understand you get what you pay for but what is the best bang for my buck? So far I have been recommended Continental Gatorskin, but I heard the have sidewall blowout problems. so im asking for any other suggestions
Old 01-04-11, 08:57 AM
veloboy971
Must Go Faster

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.9, BMC Road Racer SL01, Orbea Aletta TT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GP4000's are expensive but are very puncture resistant in my experience...
Old 01-04-11, 09:09 AM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Duranos work for me and they're pretty cheap considering how long they last: https://www.biketiresdirect.com/produ...tm_medium=base

I've had better luck with them than with Gatorskins, but YMMV.
Old 01-04-11, 09:11 AM
frpax
Steel is real, baby!

Bikes: 1984 Pinarello, 1986 Bianchi Portofino, 1988 Bianchi Trofeo, 1989 Specialized Allez, 1989 Specialized Hard Rock, 2001 Litespeed Tuscany

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
The Conti GP4000 is probably the most popular tire in this forum. I've been riding on them for quite some time, and love them. Best combination (for me) of puncture resistance/road feel/grip of anything else I've tried.

But for pure puncture resistance, I'd go with the Gatorskin.
Old 01-04-11, 09:12 AM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
First of all, learn to patch your tires....much cheaper and works just as well as a new tube.

Gatorskins are very durable. In my experience, the sidewall tends to develop bulges after many thousand miles. This happens because the tire actually lasts long enough for the sidewall to fatigue, whereas many other tires wear out before this happens. I've never had a catastrophic sidewall blowout with a gatorskin, nor have I ever had a puncture flat with one either.

Gatorskins are a great beginner tire...they are cheap, last a long time, offer good puncture protection, and aren't going to slow you down. Later, if you feel like you want a more expensive racier tire move up to a GP4000 or something similar but don't expect it to make you faster or offer dramatic improvement in the way your ride feels.

GP4000's and other more costly performance oriented road tires are going to be imperceptibly lighter, roll imperceptibly better, and grip imperceptibly better, but aren't going to last as long or offer additional puncture protection. Don't be fooled by the near unanimous recommendation by BF users for only using the most expensive racing tires money can buy. There's a whole lot of placebo effect going on around here.

Last edited by mihlbach; 01-04-11 at 09:23 AM.
Old 01-04-11, 09:16 AM
Quel

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Schwalbe Ultremos.

I mean GP4000s.
Old 01-04-11, 09:55 AM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Braxt
2 to 3 Tubes a week is ridiculous.
I'd agree. I suspect there may be other factors involved and that new tires may not be the answer.

A few questions:

What is your weight?

What tire pressure do you run?

How often and how do you pump your tires?

What size are the tires you have now?

This might help get you pointed in the right direction before you shell out cash on high end race tires.

Old 01-04-11, 09:57 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
vittoria rubino pro 3

get them. you won't regret it. no puncture all year for me.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 01-04-11, 09:59 AM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina
I'd agree. I suspect there may be other factors involved and that new tires may not be the answer.
I dunno... tire pressure and proper installation are certainly important, but there are some pretty ****ty tires out there. 2-3 flats per week sounds about right for Conti Ultrasports or any Performance Forte tire.
Old 01-04-11, 10:01 AM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I know this is kind of basic, but did you check your rim tape to be sure that you don't have a sharp edge contributing the flat problem? Just asking.
Old 01-04-11, 10:17 AM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Braxt, Any tire marketed to the touring crowd will generally be more puncture resistant than a performance clincher. The benefit of a performance tire really only shines when railing a turn. Michelin, Vittoria and Schwalbe have tires that've worked well for me, as well as Continental.

Brad
Old 01-04-11, 05:34 PM
Braxt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes tires have been installed properly and all sharp objects removed. the pressure is never under 120psi and the tire says 130max. i am not overweight at all only 170lbs, and the tire size is 700x23c. I know the basic mechanics of bikes as how to change a tire repair flats and so forth. like I said before I believe new tires are the way to go. Riding in the city with not many bike routes and poor roads hasnt fared well
Old 01-04-11, 06:26 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Originally Posted by Braxt
yes tires have been installed properly and all sharp objects removed. the pressure is never under 120psi and the tire says 130max. i am not overweight at all only 170lbs, and the tire size is 700x23c. I know the basic mechanics of bikes as how to change a tire repair flats and so forth. like I said before I believe new tires are the way to go. Riding in the city with not many bike routes and poor roads hasnt fared well
It sounds like you have the basics covered.

I have put tens of thousands of kms on broken up, gravel filled, pothole riddled, hard mud and asphalt roads over the years and this has rarely been the cause of flats.

Where are the flats occurring? By this I mean where are the holes in the tubes? Are they always in the same place? Are they on the inside (valve side) of the tube or on the side where the tread would be? Is it always a front or rear tire or is it a grab bag of flats?

Seriously, this many flats is not normal even when riding crappy tires. I really suspect that there is something else at work here.

Other posters have given you good suggestions about tires to upgrade to (I'd add Conti GatorSkins) but it would certainly be worth your while to eliminate all other possibilities before spending a dime.

Last edited by Bob Dopolina; 01-04-11 at 08:53 PM.
Old 01-04-11, 08:43 PM
Trek760

Bikes: Kona Rove DL, Donnelly G//C

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the Kenda C2C Tinker Juarez tires. Bombproof for me on the bad roads where I live.
Old 01-04-11, 08:57 PM
Al1943

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Yes you need to know exactly what is causing the flats and don't do that.
Puncture resistant tires carry a bi weight and performance penalty.
Old 01-04-11, 08:57 PM
miyata man

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had the same problem for a while as I refused to give up on a pair of Michelin Carbon Krylons I got for free. There was literally no way to escape riding through one of two ghettos to cross a major river to get where I wanted to go on a daily basis. Glass, broken lighters, a never ending stream of trash reduced to small sharp bits by car tires. I finally gave up and put my good nonfoldable Winter tires on early and had zero flats. If some additional weight, and you will notice additional rolling weight, is not to big a deal you can get some tire liners. More of a mountain biking in goathead country solution but those tubes add up.
Old 01-04-11, 09:17 PM
dspilot
Still building base miles

Bikes: 2011 Trek 1.5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Noob here too. I have been riding since the summer as well, and I had to get new tires on my new bike after about 400 miles. After reading on here for a while, I went with the Gatorskins. 850 miles in and no trouble so far, and the roads around here are terrible. I am 5'10", weigh 180, and I run them at 115PSI front and rear. I am noob enough though that I can't really give you a comparison.....only to say that I am quite happy with the Gatorskins.
Old 01-04-11, 09:23 PM
MegaTom

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL3, Lynskey Cooper CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Off topic, but related question:

Why do Conti 4000's and other slick road tires have a 'Direction' ?
Old 01-04-11, 09:26 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,189 Times in 1,475 Posts
Where are the flats occurring? By this I mean where are the holes in the tubes? Are they always in the same place? Are they on the inside (valve side) of the tube or on the side where the tread would be? Is it always a front or rear tire or is it a grab bag of flats?

Seriously, this many flats is not normal even when riding crappy tires. I really suspect that there is something else at work here.
Yes. This is important. When you flat, take the tube out and check where the hole is. Then match the hole with the tire. A sliver of metal or a piece of glass embedded in the tire can cause multiple flats. Also plastic rim tape (non-cloth type) with splits can also cause flats.
Old 01-04-11, 09:36 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Originally Posted by MegaTom

Marketing. It's the same reason they have a tread pattern to begin with.

It's to make you feel 'safe'.

Seriously.

Old 01-04-11, 09:41 PM
MegaTom

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL3, Lynskey Cooper CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Marketing. It's the same reason they have a tread pattern to begin with.

It's to make you feel 'safe'.

Seriously.
Cool. That's about what I surmised. And honestly, I have noticed and followed the direction on other tires; but in two years of using Conti 4000S tires, I hadn't noticed the marking until tonight while inspecting one that I had recently booted. Of course it was pointing the wrong way, and I had no intention of dismounting and flipping it.
Old 01-05-11, 07:38 AM
Braxt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It sounds like you have the basics covered.

I have put tens of thousands of kms on broken up, gravel filled, pothole riddled, hard mud and asphalt roads over the years and this has rarely been the cause of flats.

Other posters have given you good suggestions about tires to upgrade to (I'd add Conti GatorSkins) but it would certainly be worth your while to eliminate all other possibilities before spending a dime.
I agree. I have taken them to my LBS and had everything checked out. Worn out tires+a lot of miles=flats. I think I will go with the gatorskins, and have my LBS install everything.

appreciate all the help everyone
Old 01-05-11, 07:54 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
did i mention vittoria rubino pros yet?

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 01-05-11, 08:20 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Like in the current locked Schwalbe thread, you may just have a tube issue. I have always thought it was silly to pay so much for a tire to try and solve the flat issue. $10 will get you (yes, with a little weight) tire liners that will protect your tube (for the most part) from the elements. Of course if you are obsessed with weight (this is the Road Forum, right?), this may not be for you, but I'll take some weight over the uncertainty of a flat any day.

Practical experience speaking.
Old 01-06-11, 06:26 PM
dman-ebike
Bicyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MegaTom

I'd say its for water deflection. Even though the middle is a slick, The sides have some indentations that probably would throw the water in the right direction. Remember the Goodyear aquatread? Those only work one way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.