Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Tire Liner CobbJob...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Tire Liner CobbJob...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-20, 09:08 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
Tire Liner CobbJob...

Boy, am I getting a taste of the real vintage bicycle world. It is hard, right now, to find the most basic of things, such as tires, or tire liners.

Well, the tires are OK on my recently acquired vintage road bike but one tire liner was shot. What would you use as a temporary liner? I went with all that was available, PVC tape, triple thick.

Now, I am pretty sure that the fix is not going to last long (I just want to get the Torpado out for a test ride, cold weather or not). If anyone has a suggestion for a good way to fab up a decent and dependable liner, I would love to hear about it...
Old 04-19-20, 09:13 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
The tape should get you by for a while. I used that trick on dirt bikes back in the day, its lighter than the duct tape some used for rim strip replacement back then. Unless you are in some truly sloppy, wet conditions often, I would tend to think you will be good for a while Randy. Best of luck with the bike regardless.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 04-19-20, 10:20 AM
kunsunoke 
spondylitis.org

Bikes: '84 Colnago Super; '90 Bridgestone MB-1; '81 Trek 930; '01 Cinelli Supercorsa; '62 Ideor Asso; '87 Tommasini Super Prestige; '13 Lynskey R2300; '84 Serotta Nova Special; '94 Litespeed Catalyst; etc.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 63 Posts
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/g...6053p.html#srp

Gorilla Tape is what is used for ghetto tubeless modifications in the mountain biking world. Three wraps of Gorilla tape should be enough to get you by until you can get Velox tape or Continental or Origin8 strips.

The tape is reinforced, so it should be able to handle some air pressure. I wouldn't pump those tires past about 80-90 psig, though.
Old 04-19-20, 12:34 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Rim tape/strip used on single-walled rim wheels doesn't have to support air pressure across open spoke holes, just has to resist poke-through by protruding spoke ends or common sharp burrs on the spoke nipples (why tires on single-walled rims should be mostly de-pressurized before turning any spoke nipples).

Note that some kinds of non-bike tape adhesive can contact the tube at the edges of the tape and cause the tube to split after not so long of a time, due to permeation of the adhesive's plasticizer solvents/oils.

I am in the habit of gluing down the ends of a ruptured rubber rim strip on singlewalled rims, as often the balance of the strip's length is free of dry "rot" or cracks. I use tubular glue or contact cement over a span of several spoke holes, most often to each side of the valve stem hole in the tape.

One more thing, the rim tape or rim strip is not a "tire liner", those are what goes between the tube and the treaded area of the tire.

Last edited by dddd; 04-19-20 at 12:38 PM.
Old 04-19-20, 12:43 PM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 193 Posts
Two layers of hockey tape works great as time tape. Done it too much to not recommend it.

I've seen someone take a smaller flat tube, trim a hole for a stem and use it to line a rim as well. I can't remember if they trimmed the tube down too, where you're only using the inner side of a tube.