Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Bike Friday Headset Replacement

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-21, 11:59 PM
SquireBlack 

Bikes: '66 Lygie, '02 Rivendell Atlantis, '03 Air Friday, '21 Black Shadow Campeur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 37 Posts

Unpacking my wife's Pocket Rocket after a short trip, I had it in the work stand while attaching the various bits. I found that the headset is distinctly "notched" — there is a very obvious "detent" in the straight-ahead position.

I'm fairly confident that this is going to need a new headset, although I have not yet taken it apart to inspect. The bike uses a 1¼" threaded headset, It used to be that the only available options were a Chris King Gripnut headset — spendy but high quality — and Bike Friday's own inexpensive (and not very durable) made-in-house headset — which is what has just failed.

Does anyone know of a source for 1¼" threaded headsets? I can't seem to find the Chris King 1¼" headset anywhere. There are a couple of NOS headsets on eBay. Otherwise, I'm drawing a blank.
Old 12-10-21, 07:31 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
You might contact Bike Friday and see what they suggest to use. Email ot 800 number. Roger
Old 12-12-21, 07:22 PM
SquireBlack 

Bikes: '66 Lygie, '02 Rivendell Atlantis, '03 Air Friday, '21 Black Shadow Campeur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 37 Posts
I did send Bike Friday an email before I posted here. As yet I've received no response. I'll 'phone them on Monday if I haven't heard back.
Edit: I heard back: they have a stock of basic steel headsets, and can supply one for $35,+ shipping.
I also checked with Chris King, just in case they had one on a shelf somewhere. They got back to me within 20 minutes, but don't have one.

Last edited by SquireBlack; 12-15-21 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Added Bike Friday Info