Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Any recent experience with Bike Friday Tikit stem fix?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-22, 06:51 PM
lwylie

Bikes: 2007 Bike Friday NWT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I recently bought a used BF Tikit, fully aware of the recall that was issued for the handlebar stem. Seller said he didn't know if it had been fixed, as he had bought it used himself. Since I live fairly close to BF HQ I figured I could take it in to be fixed if necessary. After a call to BF, seems like it might be (they won't know for sure until I take it in, as I couldn't find the serial #). I was prepared for that, so OK.

What I did NOT know was that BF no longer has the machinery to repair the existing stem; rather, they need to replace it with something different. They said the stem wouldn't fold the same way. I got the impression that the new stem would be similar to the Pakit -- removable but not foldable. Bummer, since it would change the Tikit's "gestalt".

Wondering if anyone here has this newer version of the replacement stem and can comment on it (or share a pic). Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Last edited by lwylie; 03-23-22 at 10:46 AM. Reason: grammar subtlety
Old 03-23-22, 06:36 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
Call BF on their 800 number and they will help will help. BF keeps all the info on all the bikes they have built. PS because you live in Portland just go see them. Roger

Last edited by rhenning; 03-23-22 at 06:40 AM.
Old 03-23-22, 10:12 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
Originally Posted by lwylie
After a call to BF...
Originally Posted by rhenning
Call BF on their 800 number and they will help will help.
As if we needed another example, no, most posters don't listen, and read what's been posted up thread only to the point it agrees with their thoughts.

I couldn't find the serial #
My tikit doesn't have a serial number. When I inquired, BikeFriday informed me they built some unknown number of tikits during some undocumented production period without serial numbers. I was shocked - even the BSOs at Walmart have serial numbers.

Originally Posted by rhenning
BF keeps all the info on all the bikes they have built.
Even though I bought the tikit direct from BikeFriday, they claimed to have no record of ever having done business with me or have any record of the unserialized bike I had purchased from them.

After nine months I did eventually get a replacement stem from BikeFriday on the recall. I swapped it out myself and kept the old one so I'd be able to prove the bike had been repaired if I ever sold it - pretty much the only way, since without records and without a serial number there was no traceability.

I got the impression that the new stem would be similar to the Pakit -- removable but not foldable. Bummer, since it would change the Tikit's "gestalt".

Well, that would suck. Here's hoping your new-to-you tikit did make it through the recall.

My replacement tikit stem has a red dot on it (and no headbadge).

The original stem did not have that red dot (but did have a headbadge):

HTH

Last edited by tcs; 03-23-22 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-23-22, 11:36 AM
zebede
Hello

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
I purchased a used Tikit from the second owner (making me the third).

I live cross continent from Bike Friday, a replacement stem was shipped at no cost.

I installed it myself with help from their you tube videos.

Its been a few years now, but I do recall not any difference in the stem fold.
Old 03-23-22, 04:55 PM
lwylie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Interesting, zebede. Maybe there's hope the stem can stay the same style. How long ago did you replace yours? Things may have changed since, who knows.
Old 03-23-22, 05:11 PM
lwylie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
[QUOTE
My tikit doesn't have a serial number. When I inquired, BikeFriday informed me they built some unknown number of tikits during some undocumented production period without serial numbers. I was shocked
Even though I bought the tikit direct from BikeFriday, they claimed to have no record of ever having done business with me or have any record of the unserialized bike I had purchased from them.
My replacement tikit stem has a red dot on it (and no headbadge).
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this, TCS. Very helpful, if a bit discouraging. My stem doesn't have a red dot :-( My Tikit has the SRAM dual drive so was not part of the first couple of production years (per the Tikit Wiki at https://cs.gmu.edu/~sean/stuff/tikit/wiki/models/). And it sounds maybe (?) the issue had been addressed in later production runs, based on a discussion here (https://www.bikeforums.net/folding-b...tem-issue.html). It would be nice if the stem were deemed OK and did not have to be replaced, though the BF recall communication seemed quite all-encompassing, no doubt for CYA reasons that are understandable.
Old 03-23-22, 05:32 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
BF's page says the repaired/replaced stems ALL have the red dot. If yours does not, chances are not good that the work was done. It's been so many years that BF may no longer have sources/setup to make the appropriate matching stem; they've moved on with many different models none of which have folding stems. The pakiT stem is detachable, not folding. Hopefully if you go to their shop they can figure out some acceptable way for you to continue using the bike. Good luck!
Likes For linberl:
Old 03-24-22, 05:32 AM
zebede
Hello

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Interesting, zebede. Maybe there's hope the stem can stay the same style. How long ago did you replace yours? Things may have changed since, who knows.
A couple of years before the societal reset.
Old 03-24-22, 11:15 PM
lwylie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by linberl
BF's page says the repaired/replaced stems ALL have the red dot. If yours does not, chances are not good that the work was done. It's been so many years that BF may no longer have sources/setup to make the appropriate matching stem; they've moved on with many different models none of which have folding stems. The pakiT stem is detachable, not folding. Hopefully if you go to their shop they can figure out some acceptable way for you to continue using the bike. Good luck!
Thanks linberl. What you said is pretty much what the BF guy told me. I'd considered buying a Pakit (as you may recall), but in my heart wanted a Tikit. So I was happy when this 'pre-loved' one came along. Having a Pakit-type stem on the Tikit may alter the folded size of the bike, which would be a bummer since being able to cover it up with the 'shower cap' is one of the features I wanted it in the first place. Oh well, we'll see.
Old 03-25-22, 05:47 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
Bike Friday is a small company that made many different models of bikes and for each model several versions.

Its almost impossible for them to stock spare parts for all those models/versions of bikes.

It would have been better to have a small amount of models regularly improved instead of each time develop a new bike completely different from its predecessors and completely stop to sell the previous models.

We often complain against Brompton to be too conservative, but for Bike Friday, its the opposite !
Old 03-25-22, 09:00 AM
tcs
Palmer

What I did NOT know was that BF no longer has the machinery to repair the existing stem; rather, they need to replace it with something different. They said the stem wouldn't fold the same way. I got the impression that the new stem would be similar to the Pakit -- removable but not foldable.
I'd say this news pretty much decimates the used value of any unrepaired Hyperfold tikits. Caveat emptor.

So how would a seller prove a tikit had the repair stem? Anybody can paint a red dot.

Last edited by tcs; 03-25-22 at 09:15 AM.
Old 03-25-22, 10:25 AM
linberl

Originally Posted by tcs
I'd say this news pretty much decimates the used value of any unrepaired Hyperfold tikits. Caveat emptor.

https://youtu.be/fQscBxx7wLE

So how would a seller prove a tikit had the repair stem? Anybody can paint a red dot.
Well, if you have the serial # odds are good that BF will have the record. Not 100% but pretty good. When I bought my first BF used, I sent them the serial and they were able to provide me with all the records including original sales sheet.
Old 03-25-22, 10:49 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
Well, if you have the serial # odds are good that BF will have the record. Not 100% but pretty good. When I bought my first BF used, I sent them the serial and they were able to provide me with all the records including original sales sheet.
Originally Posted by tcs
As if we needed another example, no, most posters don't listen, and read what's been posted up thread only to the point it agrees with their thoughts.

My tikit doesn't have a serial number. When I inquired, BikeFriday informed me they built some unknown number of tikits during some undocumented production period without serial numbers. I was shocked - even the BSOs at Walmart have serial numbers.

After nine months I did eventually get a replacement stem from BikeFriday on the recall. I swapped it out myself and kept the old one so I'd be able to prove the bike had been repaired if I ever sold it - pretty much the only way, since without records and without a serial number there was no traceability.
Who's right ?
Old 03-25-22, 11:02 AM
tcs
Palmer

Your experience, linberl, and that's great, very happy for you; my experience (as I related in post 3) is BF sold me an unserialized bike. When the stem recall came around and I inquired why they hadn't contacted me, they said they had no record of ever having sold me a bike.

tikit owners - to protect your resale value, contact BF ASAP and attempt to get a letter from them that your bike was repaired under (up to three) recall campaigns.
Old 03-25-22, 11:28 AM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by Jipe
Who's right ?
Hey, I'll make the offer: Jipe, linberl, anyone else, you're welcome to come over to the house and spend as long as you like looking for a serial number, bar code, QR code, RFID chip or anything else that would provide traceability on my BikeFriday tikit.
Old 03-25-22, 12:23 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by tcs
Your experience, linberl, and that's great, very happy for you; my experience (as I related in post 3) is BF sold me an unserialized bike. When the stem recall came around and I inquired why they hadn't contacted me, they said they had no record of ever having sold me a bike.

tikit owners - to protect your resale value, contact BF ASAP and attempt to get a letter from them that your bike was repaired under (up to three) recall campaigns.
Which is why I said IF YOU HAVE THE SERIAL #, roflmao. If you don't then you're screwed. Yes I did read your post, that is why I said "IF". Jeez.
Old 03-25-22, 07:56 PM
tcs
Palmer

Which is why I said IF YOU HAVE THE SERIAL #
Not trying to play semantic games and generous allowance is made because not every poster on Bike Forums has English as a first language, but I don't have the serial number of the bike because it doesn't have a serial number.

Example: a person is interested in buying a tikit. The bike has a serial number, but it is unknown to the prospective purchaser. That person can't inquire about records because they don't have the serial number. Now imagine that person is considering buying my tikit or one other of some unknown number that also were not serialized by BikeFriday. The prospective purchaser can't inquire about records because the tikit doesn't have a serial number.

HTH

If you don't then you're screwed.
Certainly, no argument with you there - BikeFriday screwed some of their customers.
Old 03-25-22, 10:28 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by tcs
Not trying to play semantic games and generous allowance is made because not every poster on Bike Forums has English as a first language, but I don't have the serial number of the bike because it doesn't have a serial number.

Example: a person is interested in buying a tikit. The bike has a serial number, but it is unknown to the prospective purchaser. That person can't inquire about records because they don't have the serial number. Now imagine that person is considering buying my tikit or one other of some unknown number that also were not serialized by BikeFriday. The prospective purchaser can't inquire about records because the tikit doesn't have a serial number.

HTH

Certainly, no argument with you there - BikeFriday screwed some of their customers.
Perhaps I'm confused.by the thread format, but the OP didn't state that there was no serial number on the tikit they purchased. My comment was not about your personal experience, it was in regard to the OP and general BF purchases. You asked how. one might prove the work was done and IF you have a serial number, BF can provide info. It sucks yours doesn't have a serial number but the large majority of BF bikes do. My point was if you have one that does, BF often can find lots of info.. Lol, whatever...