Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Tell me About Cycling in Your City

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Tell me About Cycling in Your City

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-16, 05:36 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Old coach
Sounds like a hidden gem in southern Illinois. I'll have to put it on my weekend "to do" list.
Let you know if you plan to visit. I'll show you around. It was 77f this past weekend. No need to wait until summer to enjoy cycling.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 03-02-16, 11:10 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
The area around Narragansett Bay also provides fine cycling, in my experience so far, for up to 70 miles away so generally, a 140 mile diameter circle. I find it surprising that the crowded East coast has farm land and sparsely traveled roads. As one who is/was a yacht builder with a strong attraction to the littoral, I love being near water and the views of islands, light houses and the wildlife that is inevitably attracted to water, just as I am.
Old 03-03-16, 05:33 PM
Cassave

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Spamming a thread to another sub-forum is not spamming. IMHO

And to contribute to the City thing; I have lived in several cities on Left Coast USA. From San Diego to Seattle and several in betwixt = all terrible cycling spots. Do not plan on moving here to retire. Don't sign up early for our Gran Fondos, state tours, and major events so we miss out. It's grey skies in the PNW, fog on the coasts, and that sun in LA/SD - well, it just gets in your eyes. So please, the best spots are east of the Sierras & Cascades. Thank you.
Wildwood;

You're absolutely right.
The left coast is a cycling backwater. Particularly LA. The Santa Monica mountains floating in that awful blue coastal haze above Malibu, with all the twisty canyon roads is a dismal place to ride a bike.
A lot of pros train there but if they weren't getting paid? No way.
And the mountains above Pasadena, every bit as bad. And the LA sun, nothing fades a nice paint job quicker.
Old 03-03-16, 06:11 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,228 Posts
Originally Posted by Cassave
Wildwood;

You're absolutely right.
The left coast is a cycling backwater. Particularly LA. The Santa Monica mountains floating in that awful blue coastal haze above Malibu, with all the twisty canyon roads is a dismal place to ride a bike.
And the mountains above Pasadena, every bit as bad. And the LA sun, nothing fades a nice paint job quicker.
Even worse is that Monterey Bay - up to Santa Cruz - you have to go inland to catch the sun before finishing at the beach as the fog lifts. And the Santa Cruz Mt redwood roads must be avoided. Hwy 1 north toward Davenport or Half Moon Bay = Treacherous with a 15mph tailwind all the way home, in the afternoon sun. and the fresh fruit stands just jump out at you. and kayaking @ the Elkhorn Slough. And hiking Pinnacles before snake season....... and the fresh food stands jump out at you. Artichoke Capital of the World, coming 'n goin. No fun or cycling there.

Edit: my limited experience says these places should be avoided ---- Paso Robles to Cambria + coastal area, and North of San Francisco. And never ride @ Tahoe.

Last edited by Wildwood; 03-03-16 at 06:23 PM.
Old 03-03-16, 09:09 PM
Cassave

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Even worse is that Monterey Bay - up to Santa Cruz - you have to go inland to catch the sun before finishing at the beach as the fog lifts. And the Santa Cruz Mt redwood roads must be avoided. Hwy 1 north toward Davenport or Half Moon Bay = Treacherous with a 15mph tailwind all the way home, in the afternoon sun. and the fresh fruit stands just jump out at you. and kayaking @ the Elkhorn Slough. And hiking Pinnacles before snake season....... and the fresh food stands jump out at you. Artichoke Capital of the World, coming 'n goin. No fun or cycling there.

Edit: my limited experience says these places should be avoided ---- Paso Robles to Cambria + coastal area, and North of San Francisco. And never ride @ Tahoe.
D'accord.
Unfortunately I've got to put up with some of those Paso Robles junk miles in a few weeks. On a cranky old vintage bike no less.
Old 03-04-16, 08:27 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Lincoln Ne has 130 miles of hard surface trails all over the city. We have a great bike club that holds two main rides in the spring and fall. There are weekly rides of all types from slow family rides to century rides most every week. Lately there are gravel grinder rides too. In addition the Great Plains Trails Network holds a yearly ride.

If that isnt enough, there is also a great recumbent club that holds monthly rides in Omaha. There are more clubs to ride with in Omaha of course.
Old 03-04-16, 06:52 PM
asmac

Bikes: Salsa Vaya

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
And hiking Pinnacles before snake season....... and the fresh food stands jump out at you. Artichoke Capital of the World, coming 'n goin. No fun or cycling there.
OK... I live in a mostly snakeless area and this freaks me out. What are the snakes and when is snake season? My brother-in-law lives in Paseo Robles and I want to choose visit dates carefully!
Old 03-04-16, 09:08 PM
alathIN

Bikes: Volagi Viaje (rando/gravel/tour), Cannondale Slice 4 (tri/TT), Motobecane Fantom PLUS X9 (plus tires MTB)

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Carmel Indiana: Northside Indy suburb, with a local ordnance that every new construction has to include a multiuse path. Can get just about anywhere safely on a bike. One major rails-trails MUP goes straight to downtown Indy.

Indianapolis: Very mixed. Downtown has a lot of bike paths. The Monon trail is a major north-south rails-trails MUP that takes a lot of traffic and has some nice green space and scenery. There are also a couple of other greenways, like Fall Creek and the Canal Towpath. Much of your east-west travel will be on roads with 18" of "bike lane" marked off to the side; in a couple of very inconvenient places, these abruptly end and leave you riding in the midst of 45 mph traffic that can't see you due to bends and trees. There are large parts of town with no safe places to cycle at all. So, overall, you can definitely find a lot of good places to ride especially if you do not have a particular destination in mind. If you do have a destination, it may be super bike-friendly, or totally bike-hostile, or somewhere in between. It's pretty easy to get from Indy out into farm country, especially to the Northwest. Lots of places to get out on low traffic rural roads and enjoy a ride.
Old 03-05-16, 08:06 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
On a general note, I think it would be a great service by various BF subscribers to provide write-ups for visiting cyclists about their cities

So I’m starting a thread on the Touring Forum, ”Tell Me About Cycling in …,” to catalog cycling possibilities in various cities. If there is enough interest, I’ll list the cities reviewed, in this opening post. See if we can keep this thread bumped by adding cities…

When I visit a new city to bike I have always studied a map prior especially of my immediate environment there. So when I arrive, either with my bike or having located a bike rental, my immediate question is "Where do I go?," and the intent of my [Touring Forum] thread is to give a general answer to that question. I’d rather hear from a local cyclist, who knows what it’s like to really ride a bike (for distance, with confidence riding in traffic, hills, etc.) than a hotel concierge.

...Since the Fifty-Plus Forum is so geographically widespread, I’m posting here to ask for subscribers to reply to that touring thread
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Thanks everybody [posts #2 to 11, and following] for your replies; I posted them all as your quotes onto that thread on the Touring Forum, ”Tell Me About Cycling in …”. For any further descriptions, please feel free to post directly on that thread.

This is a recent post on my touring thread:

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Whatever the merits of the thread, posting it in multiple forums is considered spamming and is prohibited. Basic Guidelines [Spamming is the multiple posting of an identical or similar post on one or more of our Forums.]
My thread is still not deleted as of today (2/24/16), but for all subsequent descriptions, please post directly to that thread...

I had planned to extend this invitation on the Commuter Forum, and Living Car Free, but I guess that would be considered spamming.
Well, all subsequent descriptions of cities, posts #24 to 33, have still been posted to this thread, and I have been linking them to my master touring thread. That's fine with me, but by posting directly on the Touring Forum, the thread there will continue to be bumped and may attract more listings, FWIW. (But maybe just this is the crowd you want to write to .)

I've also been adding links from other Forums, as I encounter them. Since only I can edit the master Touring thread, if you have any links to good descriptions of cycling in other cities to add, let me know by PM or otherwise on this thread.

Thanks for your participation.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-05-16 at 12:37 PM.
Old 03-05-16, 11:43 AM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
We live in several cities throughout a typical year. Such is the life of a semi retired journalist.

Shoreview, MN: Shoreview have side paths or MUPs along almost every non-residential road. This was the key thing that attracted us to build here. Our retirement health plan is to stay active and avoid meds and hospitals. The best way to stay active is riding our bikes for all of our local transportation and Shoreview allows this all year. My wife has never been comfortable riding on the road with fast traffic so this has been a great place for us. Even in the middle of winter we can't ride the 2 miles to lunch without seeing numerous others walking or riding themselves. It's a truly great place and getting better each year.

Marco Island, FL: We spend a portion of winter here. Similar to Shoreview, we chose Marco because we can safely and comfortably ride bicycles for nearly all of our on-island transportation. It's not unusual for us to not use a car for a week or more. There are only a very few places that my wife won't ride and then a couple of more where she'll ride but isn't very comfortable. Even so we are considering moving to either Sanibel or Naples. Marco seemed to be going in the right direction to be more bike and pedestrian friendly but recently seem to be moving back towards preferring cars and traffic. Sanibel is much more bike and pedestrian friendly and has much less traffic than Marco but lacks good places to eat. Naples have a lot of great places to eat but biking there is not as safe and comfortable as Marco or Sanibel.

New York City, NY: We have a flat in NY (actually in DUMBO) for visiting our offspring who all seem to like it there. My son and I will ride Citibikes all over Brooklyn, Manhattan, and Queens but the rest of the crew will mostly only ride in Brooklyn Bridge Park, West side Manhattan Greenway, and a very few other places for short distances. Things were really improving for a while, stagnated for a bit, but now seem to be moving forward again so hopefully everyone will be able to ride more and more.

Netherlands: We started in Utrecht, then Amsterdam, now Groningen. Needless to say we all bike everywhere here. Everyone regardless of gender, age or ability is comfortable riding everywhere. It's fun to have friends from the U.S. or UK visit, enjoy riding bicycles instead of driving, and then go home to push for similar infrastructure where they live.

Last edited by CrankyOne; 03-05-16 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-05-16, 12:17 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Des Moines Iowa has a really fine system of bike paths.

ArcGIS Web Application

There is a pretty strong constituency supporting the trail system and it is expanding. My basic training ride is a 20-30 mile out and back with rolling hills, water views, plenty of tree cover, a fair amount of wild life, and, usually, few humans.

It is an older city so there are plenty of smaller roads to ride on as well. I commute all winter on smaller urban roads that have light traffic. I enjoy the winter riding; it's a great time to explore the MUPs as well.

I've lived all over the US and a number of different cities in Europe. I've done my share of traffic jamming in big cities. I'm glad I no longer need to do that. The city also has a vibrant downtown with access to the arts, music, pubs, and a really great farmer's market in the summer.
Old 03-05-16, 04:18 PM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 56 Posts
Rossland, British Columbia; a proud 'city' of nearly 3,000 people. We are the (one of the many) mountain biking capital of the world! But seriously, we have over 200 kms. of great, authorized and maintained single track mountain biking trails, including the 36 km. (one way) Seven Summit Trail.

Not many area roads cater to road bikers. Steep mountain climbs in all directions and little or nothing in the way of bike lanes. Considering how remote we are many of our roads are surprisingly busy. However with a little local knowledge there are a few great quiet road rides not too far away. And riding the mountains will either kill you or get you fit quickly.
Old 03-13-16, 05:48 AM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
Lancaster England. A city in miieature, university, and all the drivel that entails. Good shops, and. . . The Hill. Goes to Fell top, takes an hour thirty all the way. Heres a vid part way, when Im pushed for time. Just love being in the middle of traffic. . hope this works!

https://youtu.be/hB4VD86mx5U
Old 03-14-16, 07:55 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
Originally Posted by Cassave
Wildwood;

You're absolutely right.
lol.

For recreational cycling, SoCal rocks. Oodles of great terrain, great weather, and good roads.

For commuter cycling, it could be so much better. LA is more or less flat, has suitable weather 95% of the time, and has horrendous traffic issues. Bicycles could and should be a big part of the solution. The city is trying, and is making some headway. But progress is slow. The car culture and all that goes with it is very much alive here.

Personally, I love cars, but they are waaay overused hereabouts. They don't even see the irony in sitting in bumper to bumper traffic in their newly purchased $45,000 500 HP sports car. Ad agencies are very good at selling the dream and hiding the reality.

I was up in those crappy Santa Monicas yesterday. Oy, did it suck.

Old 03-14-16, 07:47 PM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 2,633 Times in 944 Posts
I live in Phoenix. The last few years have seen improvement in bike lanes. Central Phoenix is fairly easy to get around in. At least for me.

There is a pretty extensive multi user trail system along our irrigation canals. My experience is mostly with the Grand Canal and the Arizona Canal. As to the Grand Canal it is difficult to get across town during heavy traffic. But it is doable. The reason is the canal hits major traffic arteries away from the intersections. You either have to wait for a break in traffic or work your way to an intersection 1/4 mi away sometimes. The Arizona Canal has underpasses at the majors. Well, on the west side.

As to weather, it's a "dry heat". Seriously though you get used to it. Just make sure you drink plenty of water. And there are plenty of convenience and grocery stores where you can get another cold one. Water or ...

When this thread started I got to thinking. So I started a blog describing some of my weekend rides. The pix are kinda blah. The blog is here

https://www.bikeforums.net/blogger-s-...etro-area.html
Old 03-29-16, 08:38 AM
molten

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tinrobot
One more for Los Angeles/Southern California. There is a good bike culture here, plenty of bike shops and you can ride year round.

If you want to climb, you can find world class ascents in the San Gabriels. If you like the ocean, you can easily do a century along the beach to either San Diego or Santa Barbara. There are group rides for every ability and style. The city shuts down 10 mile stretches of city streets every few months for a thing called Ciclavia, where cyclists get the entire road. We're getting more bike lanes, but we still have our share of entitled and uneducated drivers. We're not to the level of Portland yet, but we're moving in the right direction.
"uneducated drivers" --- that be for an additional 2 threads: (1) topic "uneducated drivers" alone, (2) topic related to the area. Drivers in "San Diego" area -- if visited long enuff there: are more "uneducated" than many know about.

Last edited by molten; 03-29-16 at 08:43 AM.