Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Seatpost sliding

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Seatpost sliding

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-20, 01:24 PM
Ferji425

Bikes: Trek Verve 1 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Seatpost sliding

Hello everyone. This weekend I started to feel as though the saddle was lower than when I started riding. I stopped and adjusted the seatpost. When I got home from my ride I confirmed it was sliding. What causes this and how do I fix it? Thank you!
Old 05-11-20, 01:30 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
What material is your seatpost, and what material is your frame?

If it's carbon, there is a anti-slip paste that can help.

Otherwise, simply *carefully* tightening the binder bolt more should do the trick. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN.

Ensure your seatpost is clean and greased, same for the seattube. White lithium is good, but any grease should do the trick.
Likes For ridelikeaturtle:
Old 05-11-20, 03:12 PM
Ferji425

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
What material is your seatpost, and what material is your frame?

If it's carbon, there is a anti-slip paste that can help.

Otherwise, simply *carefully* tightening the binder bolt more should do the trick. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN.

Ensure your seatpost is clean and greased, same for the seattube. White lithium is good, but any grease should do the trick.
I have a Trek Verve 1. The frame is Alpha Gold Aluminum and the seatpost is bontrager alloy. Thanks for your help!
Likes For Ferji425:
Old 05-12-20, 08:10 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by Ferji425
I have a Trek Verve 1. The frame is Alpha Gold Aluminum and the seatpost is bontrager alloy. Thanks for your help!
If you have a quick release seat post clamp, it could be that it's not tight enough. If your seat post is slipping down when riding, it's almost certainly loose enough for you to be able to twist the seat left and right with the bike on the ground. Loosen the quick release clamp and tighten the bolt a bit and then re-do the clamp. It should take significant effort to close.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 05-12-20, 11:26 AM
Ferji425

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
If you have a quick release seat post clamp, it could be that it's not tight enough. If your seat post is slipping down when riding, it's almost certainly loose enough for you to be able to twist the seat left and right with the bike on the ground. Loosen the quick release clamp and tighten the bolt a bit and then re-do the clamp. It should take significant effort to close.
Thank you for your response! I did notice the bolt and tightened it but then I couldn’t close the clamp. Lol. I’ll try again...maybe using rag or towel will help me be able to use more force than I could with my bare hand.
Likes For Ferji425:
Old 05-12-20, 02:16 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by Ferji425
Thank you for your response! I did notice the bolt and tightened it but then I couldn’t close the clamp. Lol. I’ll try again...maybe using rag or towel will help me be able to use more force than I could with my bare hand.
You should be able to push the QR clamp over by hand. It should be firm for sure, but you should be able to do it by hand. If it's too tight, thread the bolt back out slightly and try again. It doesn't take much difference in effective bolt length to dramatically change the clamping force of the QR clamp.