Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Am I the dinosaur?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Am I the dinosaur?

Old 05-15-20, 09:26 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by sced
Any non-motorsport sport where athletes can simply buy an advantage isn't worth following
That means no running because lighter shoes are less pendulum weight, and no running rules most non motor sports out. Obviously not cycling because EPO isn't free. No Nordic skiing either. Or paddle sports. What's left?
Old 05-16-20, 06:32 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 05-16-20, 09:56 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by sced
Any non-motorsport sport where athletes can simply buy an advantage isn't worth following
Like cycling?

I mean really, name that sport where money doesn't provide an advantage.
Old 05-18-20, 11:28 AM
bbrave

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Disc in Rear/Caliper in Front Makes Sense For Touring

Originally Posted by Germanrazor
Okay.....call me old and out of touch. I would probably agree to a point. But when I look at new bikes online the push seems to be either pure road bikes migrating to disc brakes (hydraulic or mechanical) as the almost only option. I still love my caliper brakes due to simple simplicity.

So the dinosaur I seem to be, do you feel the eventual path is to certainly extinct the caliper concept?
For those of us who need to pack our bikes on airplanes or into the holds of buses and trains, it makes the most sense to fit a disc in the rear and a caliper in front. This will help forestall a bent or damaged rotor incurred during transit that would, should it occur, torpedo any way of continuing with one's tour. It's also helpful for long-haul bikers to fit one's bike with the most comfortable fork available; the necessarily stiff fork required to support a front disc brake can wreak havoc on one's forearms and shoulders after many hours in the saddle.
Old 05-18-20, 11:33 AM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR

BTW.. .do you have really short arms?
Or a REEEEALY long neck?
Old 05-18-20, 11:41 AM
Steeler_fanatic

Bikes: 2022 Trek Émonda SLR 6 eTap, 2018 Trek Domane ALR 5, 1974 Batavis Tour de l’Europe

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Germanrazor
Okay.....call me old and out of touch. I would probably agree to a point. But when I look at new bikes online the push seems to be either pure road bikes migrating to disc brakes (hydraulic or mechanical) as the almost only option. I still love my caliper brakes due to simple simplicity.

So the dinosaur I seem to be, do you feel the eventual path is to certainly extinct the caliper concept?
I have disc on one bike and rim on the other. To me, disc brakes are far superior. Changing out the pads is simple. Hydraulics are a bit more complex but if you have basic skill no big deal and rarely needed. Plus I have room to put on wider tires for gravel if so inclined. So rim brakes are destined to become rarer in new bikes IMO.
Likes For Steeler_fanatic:
Old 05-18-20, 12:14 PM
Stan Heinricher

Bikes: 1978 Serotta road bike, 2011 Dahon 7-speed

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tobey
I will take safety over the simplicity of caliper brakes anytime. I switched to disc brakes a couple of years ago and the improvement in braking especially in wet hilly conditions has just reinforced that decision. To me besides cost its a no brainer.
I live 400 yards from the Atlantic Ocean in the salt air, which rusts steel parts unless they're Marine Grade. I've found that the tiddly bits surrounding disc brakes rust easily and require constant looking after. Since we have no hills on the east cost of Florida, I prefer rim brakes.
Old 05-18-20, 12:48 PM
tang1223

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Elite, Felt Cafe, Specailized Enduro Comp

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Am I the dinosaur

Newby here.

I read the threads on disc vs. rim brakes, Do, I am not going to repeat the common pros and cons already discussed extensively. However, have not come across any mention of this distinct advantage of disc brakes on bicycles:

The disc wheels can tolerate quite a bit of out of round and side-to-side warping of the rim!

I discovered this on the Pacific Coast tour from Canada to Mexico, when the chain jumped the large cog (missing limit screw) into the wheel and broke 3 spikes on the drive side. The rim was weaving almost +/- 1/4” side to side. But, I managed to limp carefully for 25 miles to a bike shop to have the wheel fixed.

So, I am sold for disc brakes. BTW, Regardless of how stupid it looked, I put back the protective plastic disc next to the cassette after this incident.
Likes For tang1223:
Old 05-18-20, 02:45 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Yeah, the subject has been discussed to death here,

Discs are here to stay,and rim brakes will become hard to find on high end bikes in the near future.
Originally Posted by eduskator
Guess it's time to stack-up rim brake parts just like hoomans did with toilet papers 2 months ago.
I believe that major manufacturers high end (and lower end due to bulk component and group purchasing) will go almost all disk. Makers of custom frames and bikes will offer the options. Boutigue builders are already offering bike that are ourside the mainstream fashion.

And yes, I do stock up on components I like or have if it appears they are falling out of popularity. I did it with French freewheels, cloth bar tape, Velox handlkebar plugs, and leather straps, and I am doing it with cantilever parts, especially spare Shimano straddle wire sets. I am not a buy a new bike to get a new brake set type of rider or consumer, if the one I have meets my needs.
Old 05-18-20, 02:55 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Not totally but many bikes are only available in disc. Even cheap bikes have disc, mechanical cable.

Remember when front disc brakes were an option on cars? Then only sports cars had 4 wheel disc.Now every car has front disc and most have real also.

BTW.. nothing wrong with rim brakes, but they are not best suited for every situation. My "winter - foul weather" bike has hydro disc for better braking in the wet.
I would not buy a car or trick WITHOUT four wheel discs. I am not opposed to disc technology on bicycles, I just have not found a disc brake bike (or really many brand new bikes) other than a frameset build, that I have really liked.
Old 05-19-20, 08:35 AM
clongwill
ChristopherL

Bikes: '62 Peugeot PA 10, '73 Peugeot UO8, '74 Peugeot UE8 (converted to UO8 look alike), '75 Peugeot UO8, Peugeot Ventoux PH501, '7? Sekine SHS 271, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '86 Centurion Elite RS, '87 Centurion Ironman Master

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
short arms? hmmmm.....took me awhile.
Old 05-19-20, 09:02 AM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

Bikes: A few modern, Several vintage, All ridden when weather allows.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 158 Times in 110 Posts
Progress marches on. Depending on the era your bike should have the best available at the time with effective modern pads. I don’t ride hard anymore, but my townie/cargo bike has discs. My vintage stuff all has calipers/rim brakes.

Cheers
Old 05-19-20, 09:04 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by tang1223
Newby here.

I read the threads on disc vs. rim brakes, Do, I am not going to repeat the common pros and cons already discussed extensively. However, have not come across any mention of this distinct advantage of disc brakes on bicycles:

The disc wheels can tolerate quite a bit of out of round and side-to-side warping of the rim!

I discovered this on the Pacific Coast tour from Canada to Mexico, when the chain jumped the large cog (missing limit screw) into the wheel and broke 3 spikes on the drive side. The rim was weaving almost +/- 1/4” side to side. But, I managed to limp carefully for 25 miles to a bike shop to have the wheel fixed.

So, I am sold for disc brakes. BTW, Regardless of how stupid it looked, I put back the protective plastic disc next to the cassette after this incident.
I'd replace the derailleur if I couldn't find a limit screw that fit(shops often keep broken components for spare parts).
Old 05-19-20, 09:51 AM
WinterCommuter

Bikes: 2014 Trek Farley, 1993 Gary Fisher Paragon

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Under most circumstances discs work better. That said, i spend a lot of time commuting in snow, slush, and slop. So, in the winter, i actually prefer rim brakes (v brakes) because if they’re simple and reliable. In the slop, discs constantly squeal and need daily attention. Rim brakes just work. A quick swipe of the rims after each ride keeps them happy. For anything else, i discs are far superior—except for changing wheels quickly.
Old 05-20-20, 03:07 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by Schlafen
My rant is not about the 'want' aspect of it, it's about the 'need' aspect of it. A manufactured need, is not a real need.
Carbon clinchers becoming cheaper and more common makes disc brakes a must-have safety issue. I have a set of carbon clinchers with rim brakes and it absolutely sucks compared to alloy. I don’t think this is a controversial take. Most people will agree that carbon rim brakes are terrible and not a good solution. If you’re talking braking in the rain, carbon rim brakes are not even in the same ballpark as discs. Especially when it comes to ease of modulation. I don’t want to lock up my front wheel because I grabbed a fistful of brake, only for it to suddenly bite after 1 whole second of clearing water.
Old 05-20-20, 03:18 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by WinterCommuter
Under most circumstances discs work better. That said, i spend a lot of time commuting in snow, slush, and slop. So, in the winter, i actually prefer rim brakes (v brakes) because if they’re simple and reliable. In the slop, discs constantly squeal and need daily attention. Rim brakes just work. A quick swipe of the rims after each ride keeps them happy. For anything else, i discs are far superior—except for changing wheels quickly.
Interesting.. sounds counterintuitive but makes some sense.
Old 05-28-20, 01:53 PM
snookanglr
padawan

Bikes: Felt Breed 30, Bianchi Intenso, Trek Madone, Cannondale Synapse, Giant Anthem

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I'm with you buddy. I have three road bikes with rim brakes and have no plans to change. They're simple and easy to adjust and satisfy my braking needs. I also live in SW Florida where it's totally flat.
Old 05-28-20, 08:33 PM
Point

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by snookanglr
I'm with you buddy. I have three road bikes with rim brakes and have no plans to change. They're simple and easy to adjust and satisfy my braking needs. I also live in SW Florida where it's totally flat.
I’ll stick with the simplicity of rim brakes too, and I live in the mountains with long descents. Never needed more braking and never heated a rim too much. As for the wide tire argument, there are good options for long reach wide clearance calipers.
Old 05-29-20, 11:24 AM
Schlafen

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
Carbon clinchers becoming cheaper and more common makes disc brakes a must-have safety issue. I have a set of carbon clinchers with rim brakes and it absolutely sucks compared to alloy. I don’t think this is a controversial take. Most people will agree that carbon rim brakes are terrible and not a good solution. If you’re talking braking in the rain, carbon rim brakes are not even in the same ballpark as discs. Especially when it comes to ease of modulation. I don’t want to lock up my front wheel because I grabbed a fistful of brake, only for it to suddenly bite after 1 whole second of clearing water.
But I don't want to run carbon wheels.
Old 05-29-20, 12:02 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
I have three different pairs of carbon wheels and two pairs of AL wheels. I'll have rim brakes for as long as I can imagine. They all work well.
Old 05-30-20, 11:11 AM
AlgarveCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
My Wilier has rim brakes, they have served me well and all I've known on road bikes since the 1980's and I prefer them aesthetically. However, racing MTB I realised I much prefer disc on that bike since the stopping power is tangibly better off-road.

Now, I live in a warm place, a tourist mecca for beaches and Sun. I seldom ride in the wet since I can simply go to Zwift for the few days a year I would experience rain. However, going downhill at 70-100km/h in races, club rides or just training alone, there is a place for a braking system that is better. But...a well-matched rim brake to a good aluminium hoop will do just as well as a disc braked bike in the dry. GCN online demonstrated this only recently in one of their videos. A carbon wheel however, is a slightly different story. My Sram Red brakes and Zipp 303's do stop me but not quite as well as my previous aluminium Mavic wheels did.

My soon-to-arrive aero bike has discs. I've opted for them because I will then have both systems and therefore a choice. Also, from a purely aesthetic stance again, I find them less of an issue for me on aero bikes than that of a climbing bike.