Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Does anyone have problems re-greasing Speedplay Zeros?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-20, 08:03 PM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts

I enjoy riding my bikes and I enjoy working on them. I was doing some regular maintenance on one this weekend and had to do a job I dreaded doing -- repacking my Speedplay Zeros with grease. That is the most frustrating, messy hack of a job I can think of. It sounds pretty easy: remove the screw holding the dust cap on, put a grease gun up to the port and shoot grease in there until the old grease is flushed out the back. No matter how hard I push on the dust cap, fresh grease shoots out the dust cover. I get some of the old grease to flush out as Speedplay says it should (out the back), but it seems about 10 times more comes out of the dust cover. Am I doing something wrong? I use this Astro grease gun which seems to be the same design as the Park Tool and other folks on BF claim it works just fine for them. Does anyone else have this issue?
Old 04-27-20, 12:40 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
I find it helps to squeeze the grease gun or syringe gently. Also try rotating the pedals as you do so. I do sometimes still get some grease blowback, so it cant be avoided entirely.
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 04-27-20, 07:13 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
That sometimes happens. As long as it's packed with grease and not spinning freely, you're generally good.
Old 04-27-20, 08:03 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I'll get a little bit of blow-back, but not too much (and I'm just using a dosing syringe from the drug store). One thing that I used to do, that might help you, is to take the pedal off of the cranks and stand the pedal on end (on the ground or work bench) when re-greasing. That gave me the ability to lean in to it a little more.
Old 04-27-20, 08:04 AM
silverado8405

Bikes: 2007 Trek 820, 2014 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
So much that I made a clamp to screw the needle into the dust cap to keep pressure on it so I can rotate the peddle and operate my grease gun without having grease squirt out the dust cap at the speed of light and make a mess everywhere. Turned a 3 minute job into a 10 minute one because I don’t have to clean grease up as much. For reference I don’t have one of the little handheld grease guns but a full size one so it’s impossible to maintain pressure on the dust cap.

Likes For silverado8405:
Old 04-27-20, 08:06 AM
MidTNBrad

Originally Posted by silverado8405
So much that I made a clamp to screw the needle into the dust cap to keep pressure on it so I can rotate the peddle and operate my grease gun without having grease squirt out the dust cap at the speed of light and make a mess everywhere. Turned a 3 minute job into a 10 minute one because I don’t have to clean grease up as much. For reference I don’t have one of the little handheld grease guns but a full size one so it’s impossible to maintain pressure on the dust cap.

That's the coolest and most terrifying thing I've seen on BF. Looks like it would work though!
Likes For MidTNBrad:
Old 04-28-20, 11:00 AM
biker222

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
I also have experience blow back out of cap.
I apply a fair amount of force from gun to port and rotate pedal between applications.
When done greasing I rotate pedal 10-20x and wipe excess grease on axle side as it discharges.
Be careful on cap side when forcing grease as it can shoot out in a stream into your eyes or other places.
I now cap my hand with paper towel around port to prevent this.
Old 04-28-20, 02:10 PM
randallr

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
Original Poster; I wonder what viscosity grease you're pumping, and how fast it's pumping? I use Phil Wood green grease at room temp in a Pedro's grease gun (which pumps a pretty small volume at a time). I get no blowback.
Old 04-28-20, 03:06 PM
MidTNBrad

Originally Posted by randallr
Original Poster; I wonder what viscosity grease you're pumping, and how fast it's pumping? I use Phil Wood green grease at room temp in a Pedro's grease gun (which pumps a pretty small volume at a time). I get no blowback.
I can't remember what type of grease it is. It's off-white in color and thick but no thicker than what I would think any other grease would be. It may be Finish Line.
Old 04-28-20, 04:36 PM
tak2

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
greasing speedplay pedals

I have also had an issue with a fine thread leaking around the dust cover. I replaced the dust covers with new which were inexpensive and pumped the grease in a bit slower turning the pedal and it worked without issue.
Old 04-28-20, 06:07 PM
Noctilux.95

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4 Celeste, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Giant TCR SL, Giant Revolt Advanced Revolt 0 Gravel Bike, Trek Madone SLR, Cervelo R5 Disk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by MidTNBrad
I enjoy riding my bikes and I enjoy working on them. I was doing some regular maintenance on one this weekend and had to do a job I dreaded doing -- repacking my Speedplay Zeros with grease. That is the most frustrating, messy hack of a job I can think of. It sounds pretty easy: remove the screw holding the dust cap on, put a grease gun up to the port and shoot grease in there until the old grease is flushed out the back. No matter how hard I push on the dust cap, fresh grease shoots out the dust cover. I get some of the old grease to flush out as Speedplay says it should (out the back), but it seems about 10 times more comes out of the dust cover. Am I doing something wrong? I use this Astro grease gun which seems to be the same design as the Park Tool and other folks on BF claim it works just fine for them. Does anyone else have this issue?
Did you remove the cap from the tip of the grease gun?
Old 04-28-20, 07:31 PM
justonwo

Bikes: 2020 Pinarello Dogma F12 Disc (Enve SES 3.4), 2021 S-Works Aethos (Roval Alpinist CLX II), 2024 Topstone Lab71 (Terra CLX II), 2006 Cervelo Soloist (10 speed Ultegra), 2021 S-Works Epic

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 34 Posts
I guess this reminds me I should probably grease my Speedplay pedals on my Cervelo for the first time in 10 years. Ouch!
Old 04-28-20, 10:00 PM
MidTNBrad

Originally Posted by Noctilux.95
Did you remove the cap from the tip of the grease gun?
Yes, it has a small tip and no cap. Grease come out in a very thin ribbon if I just pump it.
Old 04-29-20, 04:59 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
FWIW, the speedplay grease gun kit I got a while ago, came with Sta Lube marine grease. Random thought/question though; would there theoretically be something better I should use if I installed a Ti spindle into the pedal body? Can't say I've had any issues though.
Old 04-29-20, 12:43 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,275 Times in 705 Posts
Originally Posted by MidTNBrad
Am I doing something wrong? ...[snip]... Does anyone else have this issue?
No, and Yes.