Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Help with new bike purchase/ Specialized Diverge A1

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-20, 02:24 PM
soccerpk6

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Allez Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Hello!

I'm new here so apologies in advance if this is in the wrong area. I haven't purchased/ridden a bike in about 14 years, so sorry if I sound like an amateur (because I am). I'm looking at getting some help/info for this potential bike purchase. I'm looking at a 2017 Specialized Diverge A1. I haven't had the chance to go look and test yet, but based on the picture the bike looks to be in ok shape.. but I noticed the sprocket and chain may have a little rust. Should this be a big concern? What other things should I look for? Owner wants $650.. not sure if that's a good price or not?

It won't let me upload the picture, sorry!

Appreciate any input here and sorry again if this is the wrong place. Looking forward to being a part of the community!
Old 04-28-20, 03:27 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Bicycle Blue Book says it was a $900 bike so at that price the bike should be in very good condition. Where as the rust may be superficial it tells me that someone wasn't taking care of their bike. Without seeing photos of it or in real life, the price is on the high side if you follow the BBB value system. BBB is a controversial subject around here but it does give you a ballpark value. $250 off for a bike that is three years old might not be the best deal. A new bike comes with a warranty, and you pay slightly more.

The most important thing is fit. Make sure any bike you plan to purchase is the correct size.
Likes For blakcloud:
Old 04-28-20, 04:01 PM
soccerpk6

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I didn't even know there was a blue book system for bikes! Thank you for the input on this! Yeah, I looked at new bikes but from my understanding disc > caliper? And for a decent road bike, it's hard to find something that's not near $1,000 with disc... I don't mind spending money for things that are worth it, but hard to justify spending that for basically a first time bike that I'm not sure how much use I'll get out of it (if that makes sense?). From the size chart it looks like I need a 56cm frame since I'm about 5'10" - 5'11".
Old 04-28-20, 05:04 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
If you are not going to race, not going to descend mountains for hours at a time or are not riding cyclocross, rim brakes are just fine .... and equally fine if you are doing those things, because every road cyclist in the world used rim brakes, amateur and pro alike, until a few years ago, and they obviously all stopped in time.

A bike you could keep for a decade or more? Yeah, it will be hard to get away for less than $600 and probably $1000. But as i always say, (ready to be bored, regular readers?? ) if you amortize the cost per mile over ten years of riding, the extra ten cents per ride will be Well worth it. Make sure you buy the bike you want and in the right size and you could conceivably ride it for the rest of your life.

Also, if a 2017 bike has rust on the drive train .... that would take some doing. Maybe if it was left outside at an oceanfront cabin or in a pool enclosure .... but I would look very carefully and ask a lot of questions ....

and frankly, if you are looking to buy a bike to ride fairly often for a fairly long time, i'd take my time shopping. The headache you buy can last a long time .... Take the time to find the Right bike. if you buy the wrong bike, you are out the money and still need to pay for the right bike.

Think of it like buying a car. if I told you had a really good car for $500 you probably wouldn't bother looking. if I said i has a solid $1000 car you might check it out, but you wouldn't expect much .... maybe a project car for a teenage niece or nephew, but not reliable transport. if you needed a car which was absolutely going to get you to work every day because you didn't want to lose your job, you would spend what it took. You wouldn't try to get a budget rust-box with one door stove in, three different colored fenders, and no paint on the hood which belched black smoke when it started.

Don't buy that bike. You will be left on the road side calling for help either way.. And you will end up cursing the purchase, either way.

If you can afford $650 ... plus money for a bottle, bottle rack, maybe lights if you will need them, a flat repair kit, a pump, a saddle bag to hold that, maybe a multi-tool .... plus a few spare tubes and a flat kit ... you can probably save up $1200 and get a $1000 bike ....

Also ... if you know enough about bikes to Confidently determine if a bike is a winner or loser ... then shop Craigslist or whatever Every day until you find the dentist's garage queen---the bike some wealthy guy bought three years ago for $2200 when all his friends were riding, and then found that why temporarily "cool" in his circle, riding wasn't his thing, so he parked it in the garage for three years, and is now selling it for $700 just o get rid of it. That is the kind of used bike worth buying.

There are also some just normal decent deals ... but a three-year-old bike which cost less than $1000 new? I wouldn't pay more than several hundred unless it was literally mint, brand new, still had the nubs on the tires, sparkling and untouched. The money i could put into a slightly beat used bike could buy me an equally good new bike, almost. (just for reference, check out BikesDirect.com.)

if you buy used, you Need to know your size .... not some number, but how a bike feels when you sit on it .... you have to be able to imagine if you moved the seat and added or subtracted spacers or changed the stem, how the bike would feel. If the bike cannot be fitted to you, you simply will not ride it, no matter how much you pay.

Also, you need to know if a bike has been abused or neglected, or abused and neglected and then cleaned up really nice to look good superficially so that you don't realize it is no good until halfway through your first ride. If you are okay with all that ..... shop away.
Old 04-29-20, 08:48 AM
soccerpk6

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thank you! You definitely made some good points and I have decided to not purchase it at this time (unless the seller drops significantly). I also saw you reference BikesDirect.. I was looking at them, but was unsure of the quality since not a whole lot of reviews on some of the bikes i looked at. Going to try to put some 50+mile rides in this summer (hopefully) and want to make sure it's built for that and comfortable.

Really appreciate all the helpful feedback here!

Originally Posted by Maelochs
If you are not going to race, not going to descend mountains for hours at a time or are not riding cyclocross, rim brakes are just fine .... and equally fine if you are doing those things, because every road cyclist in the world used rim brakes, amateur and pro alike, until a few years ago, and they obviously all stopped in time.

A bike you could keep for a decade or more? Yeah, it will be hard to get away for less than $600 and probably $1000. But as i always say, (ready to be bored, regular readers?? ) if you amortize the cost per mile over ten years of riding, the extra ten cents per ride will be Well worth it. Make sure you buy the bike you want and in the right size and you could conceivably ride it for the rest of your life.

Also, if a 2017 bike has rust on the drive train .... that would take some doing. Maybe if it was left outside at an oceanfront cabin or in a pool enclosure .... but I would look very carefully and ask a lot of questions ....

and frankly, if you are looking to buy a bike to ride fairly often for a fairly long time, i'd take my time shopping. The headache you buy can last a long time .... Take the time to find the Right bike. if you buy the wrong bike, you are out the money and still need to pay for the right bike.

Think of it like buying a car. if I told you had a really good car for $500 you probably wouldn't bother looking. if I said i has a solid $1000 car you might check it out, but you wouldn't expect much .... maybe a project car for a teenage niece or nephew, but not reliable transport. if you needed a car which was absolutely going to get you to work every day because you didn't want to lose your job, you would spend what it took. You wouldn't try to get a budget rust-box with one door stove in, three different colored fenders, and no paint on the hood which belched black smoke when it started.

Don't buy that bike. You will be left on the road side calling for help either way.. And you will end up cursing the purchase, either way.

If you can afford $650 ... plus money for a bottle, bottle rack, maybe lights if you will need them, a flat repair kit, a pump, a saddle bag to hold that, maybe a multi-tool .... plus a few spare tubes and a flat kit ... you can probably save up $1200 and get a $1000 bike ....

Also ... if you know enough about bikes to Confidently determine if a bike is a winner or loser ... then shop Craigslist or whatever Every day until you find the dentist's garage queen---the bike some wealthy guy bought three years ago for $2200 when all his friends were riding, and then found that why temporarily "cool" in his circle, riding wasn't his thing, so he parked it in the garage for three years, and is now selling it for $700 just o get rid of it. That is the kind of used bike worth buying.

There are also some just normal decent deals ... but a three-year-old bike which cost less than $1000 new? I wouldn't pay more than several hundred unless it was literally mint, brand new, still had the nubs on the tires, sparkling and untouched. The money i could put into a slightly beat used bike could buy me an equally good new bike, almost. (just for reference, check out BikesDirect.com.)

if you buy used, you Need to know your size .... not some number, but how a bike feels when you sit on it .... you have to be able to imagine if you moved the seat and added or subtracted spacers or changed the stem, how the bike would feel. If the bike cannot be fitted to you, you simply will not ride it, no matter how much you pay.

Also, you need to know if a bike has been abused or neglected, or abused and neglected and then cleaned up really nice to look good superficially so that you don't realize it is no good until halfway through your first ride. If you are okay with all that ..... shop away.
Old 04-29-20, 02:27 PM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Diverge A1

Originally Posted by soccerpk6
Hello!

I'm new here so apologies in advance if this is in the wrong area. I haven't purchased/ridden a bike in about 14 years, so sorry if I sound like an amateur (because I am). I'm looking at getting some help/info for this potential bike purchase. I'm looking at a 2017 Specialized Diverge A1. I haven't had the chance to go look and test yet, but based on the picture the bike looks to be in ok shape.. but I noticed the sprocket and chain may have a little rust. Should this be a big concern? What other things should I look for? Owner wants $650.. not sure if that's a good price or not?

It won't let me upload the picture, sorry!

Appreciate any input here and sorry again if this is the wrong place. Looking forward to being a part of the community!
It wouldn't be too terribly hard to get the chain and cassette to rust if the previous owner was in the habit of hosing the bike off without wiping it down and re-lubing. In my experience, the bike would be beginner friendly, in that it's a pretty comfortable endurance geometry. The A1 came in two versions....the one equipped with shimano claris components that was frequently seen in the $750-800 range the following season "new" in the stores as a hold over, and the Shimano Sora version that was I think originally listed for 1100, but was often discounted to 900 later in the season, and into the following year. If the bike you're looking at is the Claris version, it should be less than $650, particularly in that condition. You can buy a new Salsa Jouryneyman, similar geometry, with Claris components for not much more. If it's the Sora version, price may not be too far off. I have the same bike, but the only thing original about it now is the frame and fork. From my experience, the sizing in 2017 ran a little on the small side. I typically ride a 52 in a road bike, but in the Diverge, that felt a little "short" on the reach. There was no difference in the top tube length, so I ended up on a 54....I'm 5'7, just average torso length, but long arms I guess. So, you'd want to give it a test ride to make sure it fits for sure. I have quite a few bikes I rotate through, and I've always liked the ride of the Diverge.
Likes For Craptacular8:
Old 04-29-20, 03:01 PM
soccerpk6

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Appreciate this feedback! The bike is same color scheme and does have the Sora components. The positive review on the bike is good to hear though! I love the look on the bike as well. It won't even let me quote the picture of your bike until I have 10 posts ughh

Originally Posted by Craptacular8
It wouldn't be too terribly hard to get the chain and cassette to rust if the previous owner was in the habit of hosing the bike off without wiping it down and re-lubing. In my experience, the bike would be beginner friendly, in that it's a pretty comfortable endurance geometry. The A1 came in two versions....the one equipped with shimano claris components that was frequently seen in the $750-800 range the following season "new" in the stores as a hold over, and the Shimano Sora version that was I think originally listed for 1100, but was often discounted to 900 later in the season, and into the following year. If the bike you're looking at is the Claris version, it should be less than $650, particularly in that condition. You can buy a new Salsa Jouryneyman, similar geometry, with Claris components for not much more. If it's the Sora version, price may not be too far off. I have the same bike, but the only thing original about it now is the frame and fork. From my experience, the sizing in 2017 ran a little on the small side. I typically ride a 52 in a road bike, but in the Diverge, that felt a little "short" on the reach. There was no difference in the top tube length, so I ended up on a 54....I'm 5'7, just average torso length, but long arms I guess. So, you'd want to give it a test ride to make sure it fits for sure. I have quite a few bikes I rotate through, and I've always liked the ride of the Diverge.
Likes For soccerpk6:
Old 04-29-20, 09:42 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
I like that black and yellow Diverge.
Old 05-07-20, 02:32 PM
soccerpk6

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Took you suggestion about the the used $2,200 bike.. looking at basically a mint 2009 specialized roubiax comp.. asking is about $500, so I'm definitely intrigued, reviews are good and has 105 components - which are good from what I've read? Hopefully I'll be able to post pictures soon!
Old 05-24-20, 09:35 PM
soccerpk6

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Ended up with a 2013 Specialized Allez Elite. Looking forward to posting pictures once I get 10 posts here!
Old 05-24-20, 10:20 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Well congratulations on the new to you bike. That bike is certainly a different direction than the Roubaix and Diverge that you were looking at. It is still a fine choice and I am sure you will enjoy the ride.
Likes For blakcloud:
Old 06-09-20, 10:38 AM
soccerpk6

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Finally able to post a picture!
Likes For soccerpk6:
Old 06-10-20, 02:21 PM
altondavis2

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
looks good, how does it go ????
Old 06-10-20, 02:40 PM
soccerpk6

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by altondavis2
looks good, how does it go ????
Thanks, I love the look on it as well! So, that's a complicated question for me haha.. I'm not sure what to expect from a bike in that price range or with those parts. I can definitely feel it in the frame when I hit potholes or large cracks (which I guess is to be expected given the weight and material of the frame, as well as with the size of the tires). I'm not used to the seat on longer rides yet either as I noticed when I get back on, the rear is a little sore haha. - the seat can be an easy fix for sure.

It moves pretty well though, I think. My buddy has an Giant OCR1 that appears to move a little more effortlessly though (also not sure how hard he is peddling though).

All in all, I think it's decent for what I ended up paying vs the cost of a new bike. When I'm in straights it is pretty smooth. Up/down hill don't appear to be that difficult either (assuming I hit the correct gear haha), figuring out the gears is still a process for me. I went downhill at 40mph the other day and I felt pretty comfortable, so I guess that's a good sign.

Outside of the seat, I don't really think I have a lot of complaints honestly. But again, not sure what to expect from a once $1,500ish bike that I got for about 1/3 the price. I think once I get a better seat, I'll be ready to tackle some 50+mi rides.. but I could also just be a sissy, not sure yet!

It's pretty comfortable, in good shape, looks good, rides well, moves through gears pretty well, so yeah.. I think I'm happy with the purchase! But again, I'm a novice at this bike thing, so not sure if I could have found better or not?

Hope that answers the question!