Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Randonneuring Lights

Old 05-12-20, 07:47 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6929 Post(s)
Liked 10,931 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
I mean the light itself. I have had 3 die in the last 8 or 9 years since I got my first one. They have a 5 year warranty so 2 were replaced by the retailer. I could have gotten the third replaced but I was too lazy to send it back to Germany.
Ahh, that is good to know. Hmm.
Old 05-12-20, 08:05 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I don't know if that's normal. Most of my training has been early morning in the dark with those battery powered lights so they get used almost every day rain or shine, and my training bikes don't have fenders. I think it's the water and vibration that eventually kills them. I have the same issue with every headset I've tried except for CK. The Ixon lights aren't all that expensive in the grand scheme of randonneuring expenses, especially compared to dynamo lighting, so I just bought a few spares.

Another tip is to get a bunch of eneloop rechargeables and a smart charger.
Old 05-13-20, 12:50 AM
polyphrast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by SB01
Whilst my dynamo lights aren't super bright (B&M) - surely lights powered of a couple of AA batteries can't be very bright can they? E.g. unlit country lanes?
So, the Ixon IQ is your recommendation for a AA battery-powered light? Is it bright enough for riding in the country at night?
I have the Ixon IQ Premium (the battery powered one), and i used it for a long time (it is now unused in a shelf due to the fact that i have more expensive much better lightning toys now, but i am still happy with my (dyno powered) Cyo Premium for city use, which has the same reflector and LED and identical output)
At this time of writing, the beam shape is still nice, but it is woefully underpowered. Also the 80 lux is only available on a small area, the rest of the beam is notabely darker. It is still sufficient though in case of dry, totally unlit roads, if there is no oncoming traffic. Then your eyes can easily adapt to the low light output and you have a nice beam shape. The definitive advantage of that light is: you can really easy swap the AA cells on the road. Here is a nice video of the IQ Premium: youtu.be/WwM7vDvvGhU
The mentioned SON Edelux II uses the same reflector as the IQ Premium, albeit a better LED binning and has better cooling, so runs on a bit higher power.

A newer dyno light like the B&M IQ-X beats the IQ Premium easily, those 100 lx are spread out much wider than the 80 lux from the IQ Premium. On Lux Values see here

Originally Posted by kingston
I don't know if that's normal. Most of my training has been early morning in the dark with those battery powered lights so they get used almost every day rain or shine, and my training bikes don't have fenders. I think it's the water and vibration that eventually kills them. I have the same issue with every headset I've tried except for CK[...]
Another tip is to get a bunch of eneloop rechargeables and a smart charger.
Probably B&M never intended them to use with the fork mount with out mudgards/fenders. so i'd say kingstons observations are not representative .
I agree to get proper eneloop rechargeables to avoid high self discharge of standard NiMH cells.
Old 05-13-20, 08:27 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by polyphrast
...At this time of writing, the beam shape is still nice, but it is woefully underpowered. Also the 80 lux is only available on a small area, the rest of the beam is notabely darker. It is still sufficient though in case of dry, totally unlit roads, if there is no oncoming traffic. Then your eyes can easily adapt to the low light output and you have a nice beam shape...
I guess lighting is a very personal thing. I have ridden a lot of miles at night in the rain with the 30 lux Pure and find that to be totally adequate. I've also ridden all night in the rain with the Ixon IQ on low (15 lux) and thought that was just fine too.
Old 05-13-20, 08:55 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,685 Times in 2,509 Posts
I think under normal conditions, it doesn't take much light to be just fine. Descents under less than perfect conditions are the exception. That, and urban potholes. Unlit country lanes don't require much light at all in my experience.
Old 05-13-20, 11:33 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 1,449 Times in 1,130 Posts
I used to use Eneloops and there is nothing wrong with them, but I have since bought some white Ikea Ladda NiMH AA and AAA batteries. They work very well for me, a bit more capacity than the Eneloops. Now I only buy them.

The only disadvantage is that there are not that many Ikea stores, so hard to find unless you pay exhorbitant fee for shipping.
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/ladda-r...tery-70303876/
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/ladda-r...tery-90303880/

I specified the white ones because they used to sell some cheaper ones that were not low discharge, but the ones I do not recommend do not show up on a search anymore.

I use a couple different smart chargers.
Old 06-09-20, 02:29 PM
AlfredoBinda

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi,
On one bike. I run a Edelux front, B&M Secula Plus Rear powered by a Shimano dyno hub DH-3n70. On another I run an Edelux front, Rene Herse rear (threaded into the seat tube) with a SON 28 hub.
Both are reliable and consistent, and as a back up taillight I run the PDW FenderBot. Front back up is any USB rechargeable.
I commute and ride in the rain, and find the beam shape and brightness perfect.
With the Edelux, I run the light in "on" mode, for daytime visibility in the city.
Longer range, carry a 10k Mh battery pack to recharge or a wire and plug. same as you'd use for your phone.
Also, the USB e-werk adaptors offer trickle charging off the hub, but check that the power required won't effect the lighting.