Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for narrowing down first bike options?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-20, 01:02 PM
dandyandy_

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi there,

I’d love some help narrowing down options for my first bike. I haven’t really been on one seriously since I was a kid, so I’d mostly be using it to hone my skills, get more comfortable with riding, and eventually start commuting and exploring my new city.

I’m looking for something with enough versatility that it could grow with me, but I can also understand the logic of buying a cheap first bike and saving up for a second one. I don’t think I’d ever get into racing, but it’d be fun to eventually accompany friends on longer weekend rides (probably 50 miles max?) or go on the occasional trail.

I think I’ve narrowed it down to a hybrid bike with a slightly more aggressive geometry, but I’m not sure whether I’ll miss the extra hand positions you get with drop bars. I’ve been a little nervous to try drop bars since they feel more twitchy and I'm newer to it, but I could definitely push myself if this type of bike makes more sense for me in the long term.

I’m pretty fit, but I also live in a really hilly city, so it seems like something light with low gears is ideal (not too concerned with going fast, but would like something that’s not unreasonably heavy or slow). Any suggestions for something that feels stable but will still be fun to ride up hills and for longer distances? Ideally under $1000, but could go up to $1500.

I’ve generally seen recommendations for the Cannondale Quick Disc 2, Trek FX 4, Liv Thrive 1, or Canyon Roadlite 7. I’ve also been considering the Liv Avail or the Cannondale Synapse Disc Sora. Alternatively, could I get drop bar ends for something like the Canyon Roadlite (which seems to have great specs for the price) to make it more comfortable for longer distances?

I know fit is the biggest priority and the best bet is to try these out in person, but it’s becoming really hard to find models in the right size at my LBS since everything has been selling out. Unfortunately looks like I may have to order a few and try them out. Open to any suggestions and eager to learn — thanks so much in advance!
Old 05-05-20, 02:34 PM
pcunite

Bikes: 2016 Salsa Warbird 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I'm looking into Hybrid (aka Fitness) bikes too. I have in the past ridden pure road bikes up to 70 miles, as well as hardtail mountain bikes on real dirt trails.

You mention that you want to go about 50 miles max but also go on the occasional trail. You make other comments that show you'd like to have a do-it-all bike. I think we all want that. But sadly, bikes fit into two main categories. Yes, a Hybrid will allow for both, but will not be "optimized" for both activities. When you're on the road, you'll be carrying weight and features you don't need. Likewise, on the trail, you may wish for more support, bump compliance, and so on. Its all about the trade-offs. Without us riding on your exact trails, and a real understanding of what road feel "means to you", we could never say.

How to arrive at your answer:
Once you say, "I want to go off road", it changes things. If you only want to ride on the road, your choices are very easy. Do you want to sit upright or lean over?

For off road, 32c tires and up provide some shock absorption. Less than 32c (usually spec'd as 28c) and you're in pure road bike territory. I don't care what the salesman says. Want more? Get larger tires. Want more, get a front shock. Want more, get full suspension. The more "shock" absorption the "slower" (or heavier) the bike becomes. Your legs are the engine and you can't overcome that. If you have $2,000 you can get some weight gains back from exotic materials, but its over your budget.

Recommendation:
  1. Step 1: Try the Liv Thrive 1.
  2. Step 2: Try the Escape Disc 1.
  3. Step 3: Try ToughRoad SLR 2.

A note about the Liv Thrive vs Canyon Roadlite:
On the Liv you will sit more upright. The Canyon will have you hunched over quite a bit. Notice the seating position relative to the handle bars. This could be adjusted, but the default is more "aero" on the Canyon.
Old 05-05-20, 03:26 PM
dandyandy_

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you're right in that I'm expecting too much from one bike! Always good to get a reality check.

I'll say that paved roads or paved trails would probably be 90% of the riding, so it sounds like the question is really about body positioning and what's comfortable as opposed to going off-road. I wouldn't mind being more hunched over if it's more comfortable for longer distances, but it's definitely hard to say how it'll feel for more than 15 miles if I haven't been on a more aero bike before.

I'll see if I can test the Thrive and Escape along with a drop-bar road bike and start to narrow it down from there. Looks to me like the Thrive and the Roadlite have really similar geometry -- is there something that makes the Canyon more aero that I'm missing?

Thanks so much for the suggestions!
Old 05-05-20, 09:42 PM
EGBigelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
The Canyon is a great deal. You hardly find a 105 equipped bike for that price. The Canyon is basically a road bike with flat bars, although the geometry is somewhat different. You could always swap out the stem on a bike like that if that one doesn't work for you.

I wouldn't recommend drop bar end. For one you're a good distance from the brakes when in the drops. And it's just not the same as a normal drop bar bike,

Have you given thought to a gravel bike? You get the drop bars and wider tires than you'd find on a traditional road bike. And the geometry puts you in an aero position, but not too aggressive. A gravel bike is more stable than a traditional road bike, and pretty versatile. Trek Checkpoint, Giant Toughroad SLR GX 2, the Topstone from Cannondale are all good choices. Same with the Salsa Journeyman. You won't feel any of the twitchiness in an all-around bike like these.
Likes For EGBigelo:
Old 05-06-20, 07:52 AM
nforkbike

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Absolute 1.1

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I'd recommend any hybrid that has the Shimano 105 gear set. Like my Fuji Absolute 1.1, and / or the Cannondale Quick 1, may seen a bit pricey, but I picked up a left over 2018 model in 2019 for $825, easily worth it in the long run.

Last edited by nforkbike; 05-06-20 at 08:06 AM.
Old 05-09-20, 08:31 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 246 Posts
I agree with EGB....the Canyon is well spec'd (105's)for the price.
If you're now looking at drop bar "Gravel bikes" you need to look at the Renegade line (by Jamis). IMO the Exile at $799 is great value especially if you find it discounted.
BTW....I don't work for Jamis lol
https://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/renegadeexile.html