Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Locking a Utility Bike

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Locking a Utility Bike

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-13, 08:04 PM
Jewel
Live Beautifully

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sirrus, 2013 Yuba Boda Boda Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Locking a Utility Bike

Do you use a different lock for your utility bike than your regular bike? I'm asking because my Boda-Boda is much more of an expensive bike than my other, and I'm wondering if I should get a beefier lock. Am curious, if you all lock your utility bike differently than your regular bike (either by type of lock or how your lock or both).

Am also open to hearing suggested bike locks.
Old 11-11-13, 08:24 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I don't lock my regular bike because I don't leave it unattended while shopping, working, etc.
On the occasions when I've ridden a cargo bike to Walmart or wherever, I just used a good U-lock and locked it to one of the cart corrals.
If I was going to improve on that, it'd just be a matter of using two U-locks instead of one or something like that.
Old 11-11-13, 09:04 PM
NoBrakeNate

Bikes: Disc Trucker, Big Dummy, 74 Le Tour, Stumpy FSR 29, Tall Bike, Foundry Broadaxe, Burley tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For my Dummy I use Kryptonite's New York U-lock through the rear wheel and frame, as well as their best chain around the front wheel and frame. For my normal bike I just use the U-lock, or bring it in with me.
Old 11-11-13, 09:15 PM
Philphine

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
just a cheap chain and lock, but it's a cheap homemade bike i don't ride much (no i still don't want it stolen though), and how i lock it was just an added on idea as part of the project after looking at oregon manifest bikes.
Old 11-12-13, 12:04 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Abus Steel-o-chain reaches to fix the bike up to stuff. also have a Folding Bordo, more convenient.
If the object is closer..

another bike has a ringlock and a lock-up chain. AXA makes that stuff..

I have no clue as to the propensity of your town citizens to steal each others bikes.

A long wheelbase type cargo hauler, making deliveries would be a good place for a ring lock
to keep your bike from rolling.

add maybe a Chain to something , in places that throw whole racks, of bikes
into trucks and drive off with the lot.

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-26-13 at 03:14 PM.
Old 11-12-13, 01:58 PM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Jewel
Do you use a different lock for your utility bike than your regular bike? I'm asking because my Boda-Boda is much more of an expensive bike than my other, and I'm wondering if I should get a beefier lock. Am curious, if you all lock your utility bike differently than your regular bike (either by type of lock or how your lock or both).

Please remember that there is no lock made that will keep a skilled determined thief from stealing your bike.................

That said the best "lock" is good insurance to cover all losses. A stout lightweight lock and a good insurance policy is the best of both worlds. (See your renters , or homeowners, policy for bicycle coverage as a rider to your policy)

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 11-12-13, 02:30 PM
Jewel
Live Beautifully

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree, Nightshade. Emotionally, I get too attached to my bike and so the thought of it being stolen and ridden away, bothers me a lot. It's more than just the sticker price value of the bike, if you know what I mean.

I will, though, double-check our insurance coverage. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 11-14-13, 01:52 PM
Nightshade

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I agree, Nightshade. Emotionally, I get too attached to my bike and so the thought of it being stolen and ridden away, bothers me a lot. It's more than just the sticker price value of the bike, if you know what I mean.

I will, though, double-check our insurance coverage. Thanks for the reminder.
Yes, I too have a firm emotional attachment to my bikes like you do so I understand how you feel.

That said.........

It helps to make your bike really "UGLY" to discourage theft. It's a necessary evil to keep a good bike.

Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 11-15-13, 02:38 PM
GeraldF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the Kryptonite Evo Mini lock to lock my frame. I have locking skewers for the wheels and seat post. The Evo Mini is a sturdy lightweight U-lock. However, I would only recommend it if you live in an area that has ample bike parking. The Evo Mini can fit around bike racks and MOST sign posts (think No Parking signs) or parking meters, but it's generally not wide enough to fit around things like light posts and tree trunks, etc. Even better than the Evo Mini is the Kryptonite New York ForgetAboutIt locks. These NY locks are a bit more expensive, however, and weigh about twice as much as the Evo Mini. If weight is not an issue I'd recommend the NY lock. For wheels and seat use a cable or locking skewers. Two U-locks if you're willing to go the extra mile to protect your wheels, but I think that's overkill.
Old 11-17-13, 02:37 PM
turbo1889
Transportation Cyclist

Bikes: Too many to list, some I built myself including the frame. I "do" ~ Human-Only-Pedal-Powered-Cycles, Human-Electric-Hybrid-Cycles, Human-IC-Hybrid-Cycles, and one Human-IC-Electric-3way-Hybrid-Cycle

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since vandalism is more of an issue for me then theft I just use a regular lock and focus more on hardening my builds against vandalism. I'm unfortunately subjected to a three prong vandalism attack force consisting of not only the usual malicious mischief get your jollies punks but also cagers who hate me for cycling on "their roads" and will try to mess with my bike, and then the violent vicious "pedal only" crowd that will try to cut the wires to my electric assist or beat my battery pack with a rock or other such similar things.

My main theft issue is not theft of the bike and/or trailer but rather theft of cargo when I've got multiple stops and I'm doing a big haul so I've had to work out methods of locking down access to the cargo areas of my big haulers and cargo trailers. Having six bags or more worth of groceries stolen from the bike while I'm stopping off at another grocery store to pick up more stuff that's on sale at the other store is not an experience I wish to repeat and its a real headache to take the groceries you bought at one store into another grocery store with you and easily get back out of the store without having to show receipts to the management to not have the second store try to make you pay for them again and/or suspect you of trying to pull a fast one and shoplift.

Locking covered cargo boxes and/or trailers and then weaving a length of cable across the tops of open cargo baskets with a padlock on the looped ends of the cable have been the best methods of securing the cargo. I also often use a padlock with the right size shank instead of a pin in my hitch attachment for the lighter weight trailers that use a simple pin hitch set-up like a riding lawn-mower trailer hitch and then for my one custom built towing trike that is built to tow a car type trailer with big ball hitch and electric trailer brake controller I use a car type locking hitch assembly with the locking cross pin on the release for the ball socket on the trailer tongue.

For locking up the bike itself - U-lock, cable lock, chain and padlock - whatever is appropriate for the bike and what I would normally use regular bike or cargo bike, no difference. I do tend to lock up to light poles, sign posts, shoping cart racks, etc. . . rather then the bike rack because usually the bike rack isn't as secure of a thing to lock too and is often tucked out of the way and out of public sight around some dark corner that allows deviants to do their malicious work out of direct public view. It also reduces the possibility of the violent malicious vicious "pedal only" crowd from trying to tear up my bike (why they go after my bike when there is a full parking lot of cars to go after which would logically be the priority target I still haven't figured out and the ones I've caught in the act haven't been able to give me a good answer to that question either even under duress).

Last edited by turbo1889; 11-17-13 at 02:41 PM.
Old 11-17-13, 03:29 PM
Jewel
Live Beautifully

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am really sorry, Turbo. Your posting made me very sad. I'm glad to hear that you have locking cargo boxes that you can lock your groceries & other items in, though.

It doesn't make sense to me either, why people feel they have to destroy or steal the property of others

Wishing you peace & safety on your bicycle.
Old 11-18-13, 12:53 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Use two different style of locks, they have to carry more tools to steal it. I typically use a U-lock and a heavy cable. Or in the case a of a couple of my bikes they have the ring lock with the optional plug in chain. Part of which system I use depends on where I park and for how long.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 11-18-13, 01:16 PM
VanTiki

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got a Rholloff on my Big Dummy, so I am VERY concerned about theft! I installed pitlock skewers on the hubs and stem, and For a few years I rolled around carrying the 40lb Kryptonite NYC chain and lock. It was overkill - but I knew my bike was never going anywhere when I loved it up. Last year I invested in a TiGr titanium bow lock for my Touring bike, and ended up dropping the chain lock and using the MUCH lighter TiGr lock for my big Dummy as well. I only use my Dummy for grocery/hardware/town errands, so I feel fairly secure with my current setup. If I was leaving the bike unattended for hours outside I'd worry about just about any lock getting cracked.
Old 11-18-13, 01:35 PM
Jewel
Live Beautifully

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aaron, I was actually considering adding a ring lock to my wheel (I have a U-lock & a cable --though I want to beef up the cable, but not to the extent of a 40 lb one that Van Tiki mentions 'cause that's 1/3 of my body weight

What are your thoughts about the ring lock. Am thinking that with those 3 locks, my bicycle will be relatively safe
Old 11-18-13, 03:02 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Aaron, I was actually considering adding a ring lock to my wheel (I have a U-lock & a cable --though I want to beef up the cable, but not to the extent of a 40 lb one that Van Tiki mentions 'cause that's 1/3 of my body weight

What are your thoughts about the ring lock. Am thinking that with those 3 locks, my bicycle will be relatively safe
I use the Axa Defender RL with the optional plug in chain. I believe I bought one from Clever Cycles in Portland, OR the other came from Dutch Bike Bits (shipping can be a bit steep). I use it about 90% of the time when I am doing my general shopping. If the bike is going to have to be locked up in a high risk area or I am going to be away from it for a longer period of time I will add a ulock and a second cable. Bikes in my size are hard enough to find that I don't want to have to find the ones I currently own stolen.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon
Old 11-19-13, 12:48 PM
Nightshade

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Read this before you install a ring lock.........
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...tremely-broken

Old 11-19-13, 04:25 PM
Jewel
Live Beautifully

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yikes! Oh my, is that common to happen?
Old 11-19-13, 04:35 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts

Chain works best.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Danbury 40 025.jpg (98.0 KB, 52 views)

Old 11-19-13, 05:23 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

No

I have ring locks on 4 bikes, two of which has spent much of their life out in the weather. If you lube it occasionally it is a non issue IMHO. If it does get jammed it would be pretty easy to cut with a mini grinder or dremel tool. FWIW my single favorite feature is the key is trapped in the lock while it is open, meaning you cannot ride off and forget your keys at home, which I have done more than once with my U-lock

Aaron

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon
Old 11-20-13, 02:33 PM
Nightshade

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Yes, I would guess that ring locks "go bad" often depending on the quality of the material used to make them (rust, corrosion,etc.) along with the quality level of their manufacture. These locks are a good idea but it's to expensive to make well enough to make them to last.

Last edited by Nightshade; 11-20-13 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11-20-13, 07:04 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Originally Posted by Nightshade
Yes, I would guess that ring locks "go bad" often depending on the quality of the material used to make them (rust, corrosion,etc.) along with the quality level of their manufacture. These locks are a good idea but it's to expensive to make well enough to make them to last.
I have had one Kyrpto lock "go bad", had a couple more that could be opened with a Bic pen , I have never had a ring lock go bad. I do oil/grease them occasionally as part of my general bike maintenance.

Aaron

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon
Old 11-20-13, 10:21 PM
Jewel
Live Beautifully

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, so a side question... should U-locks/padlocks be oiled? I have one that kind of sticks and never thought about needing to oil a lock. If so, how often and what kind of oil would you recommend? Sorry if this is basic stuff. I am just not mechanically-minded at all.
Old 11-21-13, 04:57 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Okay, so a side question... should U-locks/padlocks be oiled? I have one that kind of sticks and never thought about needing to oil a lock. If so, how often and what kind of oil would you recommend? Sorry if this is basic stuff. I am just not mechanically-minded at all.
DO NOT USE OIL IN A LOCK!!

You want to use a graphite spray I happen to use the CRC brand stuff, should be available at an automotive parts store. Other brands are available at hardware stores, WM, etc. Use it sparingly, a spritz in the key hole, then put the key in and work it back and forth, on a U-lock you may need to put a bit in from the side where the U-part goes in too.

When I talk about using oil/grease on a ring lock it is on the actually sliding mechanism, the lock cylinder (where the key goes in) gets graphite.

Aaron

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon
Old 11-21-13, 12:47 PM
Nightshade

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc
DO NOT USE OIL IN A LOCK!!

You want to use a graphite spray I happen to use the CRC brand stuff, should be available at an automotive parts store. Other brands are available at hardware stores, WM, etc. Use it sparingly, a spritz in the key hole, then put the key in and work it back and forth, on a U-lock you may need to put a bit in from the side where the U-part goes in too.

When I talk about using oil/grease on a ring lock it is on the actually sliding mechanism, the lock cylinder (where the key goes in) gets graphite.

Aaron
Use VERY LIGHT oil (i.e. 3 in 1 household oil) if you don't have any graphite on hand. It's better than no lubrication for the lock that lives outdoors.

Old 11-22-13, 06:07 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Originally Posted by Nightshade
Use VERY LIGHT oil (i.e. 3 in 1 household oil) if you don't have any graphite on hand. It's better than no lubrication for the lock that lives outdoors.
I still stand by my recommendation of no oil in a lock. Once you put oil in it it is in there and very difficult to clean out. Oil has volatiles in it that will eventually evaporate and leave a sticky goo. Once you put oil in a lock adding graphite makes an even bigger mess. Been there done that learned my lesson. In colder climates oil can actually make the problem worse.

Aaron

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.