Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

BEWARE – Merlin Metalworks, DEAN Bikes, Janus Cycle Group

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

BEWARE – Merlin Metalworks, DEAN Bikes, Janus Cycle Group

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-23, 02:08 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 1,567 Times in 1,029 Posts
Originally Posted by MMWDT
There is not company victimizing here, It is simply an explanation of a few of the items in which blame was placed upon Merlin when in certain facts there was no blame to be made, or solutions were reached per the customer's request. Per John being on the website, if someone has a link to the location of his presence please note it, he is 100% not any part of the group anymore. Per responsibility of the company, certain items fall to the responsibility of the manufacturer when the issue is brought up by a customer, this is a given. Certainly a manufacturer would not intent to present improper items or spec dimensions and should this happen it get the chance to make it right. This was done to the customer's request. As the OP noted, he found fault in the frame, he sent it back, Merlin fixed those faults at no charge. He requested seat tube shims, they were sent. Heaps of hours were spent remedying the requests, and yet the customer is clearly still dissatisfied. At what point do a company's responsibility end when they have done the customer specific requests for solutions and yet there is still not only dissatisfaction, but even active boardline defamation. Many of OP's statements in this thread about the workings of Merlin and Janus are complete assumptions.
If the customer requested and received shims because Merlin called that huge seat tube that slips "in spec", that's hardly something to brag about.

Last edited by Kontact; 09-11-23 at 03:09 PM.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 09-11-23, 02:20 PM
olivettip

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
If the customer requested and received shims because Merlin called that huge seat that slips "in spec", that's hardly something to brag about.
nobody is bragging here. It was noted that the Merlin would give customer an RA if requested, customer requested shims for replacement. This is the solution the customer expressed to resolve issue. There are many reasons a seat post might get sloppy, with having a frame in hand how is one supposed to remedy the fixable issue. Clearly you have made up your mind on the matter so its somewhat a non issue. The notes in this thread are just to shed light on generally a previously one sided slant.
Old 09-11-23, 07:50 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by olivettip
nobody is bragging here. It was noted that the Merlin would give customer an RA if requested, customer requested shims for replacement. This is the solution the customer expressed to resolve issue. There are many reasons a seat post might get sloppy, with having a frame in hand how is one supposed to remedy the fixable issue. Clearly you have made up your mind on the matter so its somewhat a non issue. The notes in this thread are just to shed light on generally a previously one sided slant.
That doesn't seem to be accurate. The OP claims:
On November 16th while assembling the bike I installed the seatpost, which until now was still in the box, and that the seatpost was loose in the frame to the point that the supplied clamp would barely tighten it. I contacted Peter who said that this was “within tolerance” but that he would send a better clamp.

I went for a 30 mile ride and when I returned found that the seatpost had sunk into the frame almost 1/4”.

So I put this news into an email to Peter that the bike was basically unrideable in its current condition due to a defective frame. I never got a response and have apparently been “ghosted” as a “problem” customer.
So who is lying here? Did Merlin tell the OP that his seat tube is within spec, sent a stronger clamp, it keeps slipping, and no one responded to emails? Or did Merlin respond to the slipping seatpost emails and offer a new RA?

The OP talks about clamps, you bring up shims. The OP says he was told the bike was in spec, you say he was offered an RA for the seat post.

Seems like it isn't even the same story.

The problem for Merlin/Janus is that they have a bike that won't retain a seat post, and the response from Merlin makes it sound like the customer didn't want it fixed. Does that seem likely? Does it help make Merlin look on top of the situation?

Last edited by Kontact; 09-11-23 at 07:53 PM.
Old 09-11-23, 08:05 PM
Kontact 

As a service manager, I have been on the receiving end of a custom frame builder saying "we consider that in spec". This seems to be the ultimate warranty denial card that some companies play when they realize that something so essential is wrong with the bike that they might as well throw the frame out and start over.

Which is why I give some credence to the OP's story.

But I also know that some people get too involved in the process, trying to get to a workable solution. The right answer is more "this isn't right, and you need to fix it". But that takes a lot more time and is painful when the builder keeps insisting that everything is fine. It is hard to argue with someone that maintains a different reality than everyone else.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 09-11-23, 08:13 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by olivettip
Was an RA and a lightening fast turn around the first thing offered? I've ordered three custom frames and one of them ended up with an build spec issue. I've never said anything negative about the builder and could never do so in mentioning my bikes because the builder immediately requested it back, built a whole new frame to exact spec and tossed in a goodwill upgrade on something small. There was never a question on making it right and the whole conversation involving dealing with it was 15min over the phone, half of which was friendly banter. 3 weeks later I had my bike and the builder was able to sell it as a one off to recoup the loss. I also ended up with a 4th custom frame from yet another builder for the exact same reason, don't know what happened but he'd installed the bottle cage bolts in the wrong spot, and the buyer sent it back. Since you could slightly see where the old bosses were removed though the paint he sent the customer a new bike and my kid ended up with a small builder frameset for a steal. As someone who's done customer service work, I know that customers can downright suck and be difficult, but when you ask what your company asks for their frames, it should be perfect in every way. Doesn't matter if it just changed hands, the situation is made fully right and fast.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 09-11-23, 09:00 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Old 09-11-23, 09:10 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
What does "within spec" mean? As someone who wrote and enforced specs on manufactured goods, without a written, measurable, quantifiable spec it's opinion and means nothing.
Old 09-11-23, 09:36 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by dedhed
What does "within spec" mean? As someone who wrote and enforced specs on manufactured goods, without a written, measurable, quantifiable spec it's opinion and means nothing.
Precisely. It is a platitude, not a number. A technical sounding way of saying "seems okay to me".
Old 09-13-23, 08:22 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1966 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
You were way too patient with these guys. They sold you a defective product. Fix it immediately (within a week), or return for refund. If refused, immediate credit card charge back. Simple as that, end of story. You are doing business with a merchant, not negotiating a divorce from your wife.

Credit card chargeback has a time limit of 90-120 days from date of purchase, depending on the bank. Once you miss that window, your only other recourse is small claims court (as you found out the hard way). Amex has a reputation for good customer service and fast chargeback resolution. I only use Amex for high dollar purchases.

Since you paid a deposit ahead of time, that $1500 would have missed the chargeback deadline. But at least you wouldn't have lost the remainder of the $7000.
Old 09-13-23, 08:57 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Tough thread to follow but not clear about the seatpost sizing. Some titanium manufacturers use aluminum sleeves for a variety of reasons and is that just the case in this instance. Or is the sleeve out of spec? My adventure frame for example has a aluminum sleeve in the seat tube with a id. For a 27.2 seatpost.
Old 09-13-23, 09:46 AM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Tough thread to follow but not clear about the seatpost sizing. Some titanium manufacturers use aluminum sleeves for a variety of reasons and is that just the case in this instance. Or is the sleeve out of spec? My adventure frame for example has a aluminum sleeve in the seat tube with a id. For a 27.2 seatpost.
Ti bike companies have used permanently bonded ti, carbon and aluminum sleeves to make the thin seat tube tubing thick enough for clamping and to get down to the common 27.2 size.

The OP's sleeve was too large inside to effectively clamp his seatpost.

​​​​​All the sleeved ti bikes I've ever serviced or owned were on the other end of the spectrum: perfectly fit or slightly undersized.
Old 09-13-23, 10:17 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Ti bike companies have used permanently bonded ti, carbon and aluminum sleeves to make the thin seat tube tubing thick enough for clamping and to get down to the common 27.2 size.

The OP's sleeve was too large inside to effectively clamp his seatpost.

​​​​​All the sleeved ti bikes I've ever serviced or owned were on the other end of the spectrum: perfectly fit or slightly undersized.
But this image from up in the thread indicates the OP did not use the sleeve. Something does not add up with this story. This is also the OP's second thread regarding this frameset and mucking about with it.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7e88da7b65.jpg
Old 09-13-23, 10:56 AM
Kontact 

But this image from up in the thread indicates the OP did not use the sleeve. Something does not add up with this story. This is also the OP's second thread regarding this frameset and mucking about with it.

How can you tell? The sleeve should not be visible from the outside.

My recollection is that has tried to address the oversized and permanently bonded sleeve with shims, and then tried to remove and replace the undersized sleeve completely.

You don't normally have an option to use it or not with the sleeve. As I mentioned, it is bonded in place. The one on my 96 Merlin in so nicely done you can't see it.
Old 09-13-23, 01:16 PM
Mackers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
How can you tell? The sleeve should not be visible from the outside.

My recollection is that has tried to address the oversized and permanently bonded sleeve with shims, and then tried to remove and replace the undersized sleeve completely.

You don't normally have an option to use it or not with the sleeve. As I mentioned, it is bonded in place. The one on my 96 Merlin in so nicely done you can't see it.

So you're calling OP a liar, since he replied directly to YOU when asked that the sleeve was in place when the picture was taken, or did you just not read his post?
Old 09-13-23, 02:26 PM
Kontact 

If you are basing this on the pinched look of the top of the seat tube, that is with a sleeve and is indicative of how undersized it is.