Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Mechanic vs Di2 Maintenance

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Mechanic vs Di2 Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-24, 05:22 PM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by grumpus
I'm wondering if that raised screw head under the skewer nut is affecting the axle clamping force in some way that is causing problems with the hanger.
Looks to me like those two holes are the same. but the one screw that doesn't counter sink has a larger head. As always, could just be the way the photos make it look. But I see no reason that hole should look as deep as the other, yet the screw doesn't in fact go down into it.

Of course, even of the screw head isn't seating the right way and affecting the skewer, I can't see how this would result in bent hangers. But I could see how if the hanger isn't being properly secured, it would have symptoms of being bent. If nothing else, maybe it's not able to be properly mounted on a consistent way and therefore creating inconsistent operation.
Likes For Mtracer:
Old 02-10-24, 06:14 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,437 Posts
Solving this mystery is simple if you follow a logical process.

1 - determine whether the hanger is bending or moving. One way would be to remove the wheel and apply moderate force on the end while watching or feeling for any movement at the dropout.

2 - if it's secure on the frame, accept that metal, weak or strong, doesn't bend without a reason. Find that reason by checking everything. Is the chain too short? Is there ever chain suck? Does it sometimes jam during a shift? Does the RD have marks indicating it gets banged into? and so on.

Blaming the hanger is a cop out. Especially because it's not just the one.

It's either bending or moving where it's attached. Determine which, then why.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 02-10-24, 06:25 PM
cranky old road 
Let your bike be the tool

Bikes: '66 Raleigh Carlton, '70 Ron Cooper, '95 Bianchi CD'I, Zonal Frame with Xenon gruppo, Carbon Frame with Record Gruppo, Columbia Twosome, Terry Classic, Bianchi SX, Gravity SS/FG

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 194 Posts
Are the heads of the hanger screws actually the same size? Looks to me like the one on the left is larger. If the screws are switched is it still the one on the left that doesn't go into the countersink?
Old 02-10-24, 06:36 PM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Would like to see a macro shot of those holes. Looks to me like the rear one has a shallower “wider diameter step” than the front one, which might be why the screw can’t go in as far. If so, and if both screws are identical, then I suspect a manufacturing error.
Old 02-11-24, 05:38 PM
AMoney

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Solving this mystery is simple if you follow a logical process.

1 - determine whether the hanger is bending or moving. One way would be to remove the wheel and apply moderate force on the end while watching or feeling for any movement at the dropout.

2 - if it's secure on the frame, accept that metal, weak or strong, doesn't bend without a reason. Find that reason by checking everything. Is the chain too short? Is there ever chain suck? Does it sometimes jam during a shift? Does the RD have marks indicating it gets banged into? and so on.

Blaming the hanger is a cop out. Especially because it's not just the one.

It's either bending or moving where it's attached. Determine which, then why.
I took the wheel off. The derailleur hanger is tight; it is not flexing or bending. It is shifting very well right now. The chain is the correct length. I haven't had too many issues with the chain jaming or dropping unless the derailleur hanger (once it was the derailleur) was already bent. Part of the reason I started this thread is because I'm trying to learn some of my own wrenching. I've gotten better over the years but some of this stuff is beyond my scope. However, I've found that if I can accurately describe the problems to expert mechanics they are more likely to solve the problem. I will relay the information in this forum to them.

Originally Posted by choddo
Would like to see a macro shot of those holes. Looks to me like the rear one has a shallower “wider diameter step” than the front one, which might be why the screw can’t go in as far. If so, and if both screws are identical, then I suspect a manufacturing error.
If I take another picture, what would you like to see that is different than the previous picture? I can try to take another picture, but even with my previous photo, it was difficult to get a quality photo while zooming in so much. What exactly does wider diameter step mean? The rear is less countersunk than the front. The screws are identical.
Old 02-11-24, 06:17 PM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by AMoney
If I take another picture, what would you like to see that is different than the previous picture? I can try to take another picture, but even with my previous photo, it was difficult to get a quality photo while zooming in so much. What exactly does wider diameter step mean? The rear is less countersunk than the front. The screws are identical.
Yeah sorry I meant a shot with a real macro lens to be able to see the detail a little more clearly. Just took an example one with my DSLR of my (filthy) gravel bike I’m working on at the moment. Yours was good, just can’t quite be sure of the shape of that hole.

I meant the countersink wider diameter entrance to the hole that accommodates the head of the screw. Seems shallower, that silvery bit, on the rear hole on your bike.

Last edited by choddo; 02-11-24 at 06:22 PM.