Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

What Is It About Riding On A Holiday?

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-13, 08:37 AM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts

I love my family and I really enjoy spending holidays with them. Today, I am headed up to Connecticut for Thanksgiving with my children and grandchildren and I am totally psyched.

However, on the way up there, I am sure to see at least a handful of cyclists riding along the Long Island Expressway Service Road or the roads that run parallel to I-95 and I am sure I will be painfully jealous of them.

For some reason, the thought of getting out on a bike when everybody I know is sitting at a dinner table somewhere -- all dressed up in stiff, starched collars -- has been an ongoing daydream for me for as long as I can remember.

I am not antisocial, so why is this so appealing to me? Anybody else feel the same?
Old 11-28-13, 01:56 PM
groth
astro

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, '72, Bianchi Volpe, '97 (no more, it died), Greenspeed GTVS6, '05, Trek 520, '13

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
I love my family and I really enjoy spending holidays with them. Today, I am headed up to Connecticut for Thanksgiving with my children and grandchildren and I am totally psyched.

However, on the way up there, I am sure to see at least a handful of cyclists riding along the Long Island Expressway Service Road or the roads that run parallel to I-95 and I am sure I will be painfully jealous of them.

For some reason, the thought of getting out on a bike when everybody I know is sitting at a dinner table somewhere -- all dressed up in stiff, starched collars -- has been an ongoing daydream for me for as long as I can remember.

I am not antisocial, so why is this so appealing to me? Anybody else feel the same?
Why can't you do both? Ride and then eat? 13 mile ride today (did not see a single other cyclist!) and turkey coming up with our daughter in Connecticut.

- Ed
Old 11-28-13, 02:03 PM
cannondale125

Bikes: Cannondale six13/ Connondale CAAD 9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ya same I rode 10 miles and family will be over after 4 today. So I seen a perfect chance and took it.
Old 11-28-13, 02:19 PM
Solid_Spoke

Bikes: Bicycle!

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will ride today!
Old 11-28-13, 07:03 PM
Malemute_Kid

Bikes: Gary Fisher Wingra, Redline Monocog 29er, Specialized Sequoia Elite, Pivot 429 Trail, Salsa Mukluk

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
agree with the above. after getting the turkey in the oven, the wife said "you can go for a bike ride if you want." i didnt need to be told twice! got a nice two hour ride in.
Old 11-28-13, 07:16 PM
Ky_Rider

Bikes: Trek Verve Ebike and Surly Wednesday

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
After dinner with the family I rode 27 miles home. Lots of stops and sight seeing. Felt a little less guilty about all of that food I consumed. My wife is pretty used to me taking off on bike rides. Even on holidays.
Old 11-28-13, 07:37 PM
Astrozombie

Bikes: Diamondback Insight, Motobecane Mirage

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
There is nothing wrong with being "Asocial/Loner" TC, don't listen to what the masses say. Anti-social means something completely different, usually these people have plenty of "friends"...........to manipulate.
Old 11-28-13, 07:40 PM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
it's the calories. ride on.
Old 11-28-13, 08:46 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I rode last year up in the berkshires where I am right now. I didn't bring the bike this year because fnthe weather.
Old 11-29-13, 10:55 AM
Consularrider

Bikes: Surly Pugsley, Jamis Renegade, Kona Rove, Salsa Pistola, Raleigh M60, Raleigh Sport Touring Team USA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I slept in and skipped my usual Thanksgiving ride this year. It was too much trouble to balance the cooking with time on the bike and this year my wife is in the middle of her project to regrout the bathroom tile, so not a good time to skip out.
Old 11-29-13, 11:09 AM
Adventure_Man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A keen cyclist is keen to ride and many people get time off work during holiday periods thus they have time to ride or they are able to ride earlier in the day for the first time in a while. A keen cyclist usually feels the need or they get the urge to ride when they see others out riding. I think you're a keen rider.
Old 11-29-13, 12:05 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
... getting out on a bike when everybody I know is sitting at a dinner table somewhere -- all dressed up in stiff, starched collars -- has been an ongoing daydream for me for as long as I can remember.

I just now posted about my Thanksgiving Day Ride yesterday on the Northeast Regional Discussion Forum thread, "Metro Boston: Good ride today?. Afterwards I had a delightful sociable dinner with family and friends, all the more enjoyable because I did ride that morning.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Yesterday for the third consecutive Thanksgiving Day in a row, fellow "Metro Boston" subscriber mtalinm and I did a late morning ride from Norwood into Boston. He and I are year round commuters on similar routes in the opposite directions, he from Westwood to Cambridge, and me from Kenmore Square to Norwood. I usually go into work on T-day for a few hours in the morning, and for the past three years I’ve called mtalinm to meet me in Norwood, and he rides with me up to about Jamaica Plain…

On Wednesday, I had kiddingly asked a professional nutritionist what she was serving for Thanksgiving. Her answer was the standard fare, but she (knowing I’m a cyclist) said be sure to at least take a walk. As mtalinm and I split I said “Same time, next year,” though we do rarely encounter each other en route during the year.

On this Northeast Discussion Forum is a current thread, What Is It About Riding On A Holiday?. Certainly the lack of traffic, and working off (or in anticipation of the feast) are especially compelling reasons, and I’m glad m’ and I are making it a tradition.
Old 11-29-13, 01:59 PM
Jewel
Live Beautifully

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sirrus, 2013 Yuba Boda Boda Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in charge of all the cooking, so I got some of it done on Wednesday. Got up early Thursday morning & started the bread dough rising, made a coffee cake for brunch, and finished most of the side dishes, except the turkey by 11. My husband & I then went out for a wonderful bicycle ride with no crowds, enjoyed the sunshine, the quiet...

We got back rejuvenated. Guests arrived at 2:00. We played some board games with everyone, enjoyed a glass of wine, and I periodically got up to put in a casserole dish, turn the potatoes on to boil, etc. So, it's definitely doable to balance between being the host, yet having time for oneself.

We were still able to meet our needs of going out as a couple, riding, & outdoor time and meet the family/friends' needs. Fun & relaxing. I think it boils down to setting up a schedule and setting boundaries.

Long time ago when we were attendees to another's Thanksgiving, we would talk about what our expectations were for the day prior to going to the dinner and budget our time to do the fun with the necessary before having to leave for the dinner.
Old 11-29-13, 03:56 PM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 1,750 Times in 891 Posts
I find it's a good way to get a little solitude and contemplative time on a day when those are in short supply. The absence of people from the usual streets and paths intensifies this.

Ride report from yesterday's 14 miles at:
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...1#post16286702

rod
Old 11-29-13, 04:28 PM
lastostrogoth

Bikes: Erickson, Orbea Orca Bronze, Specialized Rock Hopper Comp w/Deore XT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Papa Tom, I know exactly what you are saying. When I am not riding and see someone else riding I get a sudden pang of jealousy. I didn't ride yesterday because I rode on Wednesday. My rides are all over 20 miles, so I try to put rest day between them, one of my few concessions to age. However, even on a rest day I get a twinge if I see another rider out and about. I retired last year and set a goal of a minimum of 80 miles per week. I am yet to not meet that goal, and, yet, I always feel that pang when I am not riding and see another riding. I think that the words of H.W. Tilman best explain the need: "For that man who makes his way by his own exertions, no day is dull, and no journey without an abiding interest." In his book Snow on the Equator, Tilman describes his final journey before leaving Africa. He bicycled the "road" which eventually became the Kinshasa Highway across Africa from east to west. That was in the late 1920s.
Old 11-29-13, 06:00 PM
vol

Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
I rode last year Thanksgiving night on the Hudson Greenway. Terrific. If you remember it was a warm day with no wind. I encountered no more than 5 bikes/joggers on the whole way. I kind of owned the Greenway that night
Old 11-29-13, 07:37 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
I rode last year Thanksgiving night on the Hudson Greenway. Terrific. If you remember it was a warm day with no wind. I encountered no more than 5 bikes/joggers on the whole way. I kind of owned the Greenway that night
I suppose if I WERE to get out there on one of those desolate days, I'd just ruin the solitude for all those people I am jealous of. 'Guess I'll continue to be one of the sad sacks whizzing by in my car...
Old 11-30-13, 07:54 AM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 1,750 Times in 891 Posts
I suppose if I WERE to get out there on one of those desolate days, I'd just ruin the solitude for all those people I am jealous of. 'Guess I'll continue to be one of the sad sacks whizzing by in my car...
Not so much... there's fellow feeling among the few who are out...

rod