Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

5 Boro this Sunday?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-19, 10:47 AM
streetstomper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
They explained why this will be the last NYC Century:

Streetsblog
Old 06-02-19, 08:34 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
That's a really good explanation. I needed to be reminded that riding on the streets was almost an act of protest. Now it clearly isn't. I'm glad for the progress. And the most important point is that TA is about enabling every-day riding more than about events.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-05-19, 11:30 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 362 Posts
I wonder if some other group will pick it up, like BikeNewYork or one of the clubs.
Old 06-05-19, 09:17 PM
Solidjake

Bikes: '14 Synapse Carbon 5 105

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Damn. I did the NYCC a few times. Definitely going to ride the last one this year from the Central Park start point. See you guys there.
Old 08-23-19, 10:05 AM
TheHand

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spoke Cutting!

Hey Streetstomper, I'm new to this forum. I have spokes that need to be cut and rolled. In another thread you had found a reasonably priced pro. Please, do you have a link? Number? Appreciate your time and look forward to your response
Old 08-23-19, 09:04 PM
ChiroVette

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Solidjake
Damn. I did the NYCC a few times. Definitely going to ride the last one this year from the Central Park start point. See you guys there.
Another ridiculously expensive ride. I mean, I know its for charity and all, but registration is like $105.00. I mean, a hundred and five bucks for a bike ride? I know I could have saved like ten or fifteen bucks if I registered early. Honestly, I may just crash this ride. I know, I know, if I do I'm a jerk. But no way am I paying that kind of money for a bike ride. And unlike the 5 Boro Bike Tour where they close the streets and technically "own" said closed streets, they can't stop me from riding in this Century if I want to just tag along if I load the course onto my Garmin. Its open streets, traffic, and everything and nobody has a legal right to coerce me to leave the course if they haven't closed or rented the streets.

lol Feel free to flame, but I am not paying them that kind of money for a bike ride.

I know I won't be able to use any of the rest stop services for snacks and drinks, but I don't care.
Old 08-26-19, 04:37 AM
PickleRick

Bikes: Felt Z4, Trek Remedy 9.8, Pivot 429SL Di2, Salsa Warbird Di2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by ChiroVette
Another ridiculously expensive ride. I mean, I know its for charity and all, but registration is like $105.00. I mean, a hundred and five bucks for a bike ride? I know I could have saved like ten or fifteen bucks if I registered early. Honestly, I may just crash this ride. I know, I know, if I do I'm a jerk. But no way am I paying that kind of money for a bike ride. And unlike the 5 Boro Bike Tour where they close the streets and technically "own" said closed streets, they can't stop me from riding in this Century if I want to just tag along if I load the course onto my Garmin. Its open streets, traffic, and everything and nobody has a legal right to coerce me to leave the course if they haven't closed or rented the streets.

lol Feel free to flame, but I am not paying them that kind of money for a bike ride.

I know I won't be able to use any of the rest stop services for snacks and drinks, but I don't care.
Wow, did we get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning? Would you like some cheese with your whine?

For a large metro ride it seems a fair price. I've ridden it three times now, it's a blast. Especially for someone (me) coming from primarily rural riding environs, I consider it a nice change of pace. I'm certain with all the fees that TA needs to pay the City, as well as permits, marketing costs etc. etc, etc it's costing them a small fortune to pull this off each year.

I think the fee is completely reasonable and I've already paid mine, but yeah, it is an open course and you would not be the first to crash the party.
Likes For PickleRick:
Old 08-26-19, 05:42 AM
ChiroVette

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by PickleRick
Wow, did we get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning? Would you like some cheese with your whine?

For a large metro ride it seems a fair price. I've ridden it three times now, it's a blast. Especially for someone (me) coming from primarily rural riding environs, I consider it a nice change of pace. I'm certain with all the fees that TA needs to pay the City, as well as permits, marketing costs etc. etc, etc it's costing them a small fortune to pull this off each year.

I think the fee is completely reasonable and I've already paid mine, but yeah, it is an open course and you would not be the first to crash the party.
Agree to disagree. lol I think $105.00 for a bicycle ride is absurd, and as long as they have no legal right to demand I leave the course, thanks to free streets and all, then they get nothing from me, and I'll bring my own snacks. And the beauty of it is, if the weather isn't to my liking, I can opt not to show up and I don't lose over a hundred bucks in a downpour. So everybody wins!

By the way, it wasn't so much whining as it was a statement of the fact that had they charged a more reasonable, fair price, I would have been glad to pay. But to put things into perspective, should a person have to pay as much for a LMAO bicycle ride as one would pay for a sit down dinner with a GIANT porterhouse in Peter Luger's. Whining would be if I actually paid and complained.

What you should have said was "Would you like some cheese with your gloat," since I was more gloating and mocking. But, that is semantics, after all, and not as pithy as your "cheese with wine" metaphor, so cool. I think I will use that $100.00 for a porterhouse and lobster tail at The Old Homestead the night before the ride.

Last edited by ChiroVette; 08-26-19 at 06:17 AM.
Old 08-26-19, 10:58 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

@ChiroVette, I volunteer as a marshal on rides like this. I did the 5 boro this year. There is not much work involved. When someone needs help, I stop and help. Then I get back in the ride. It's an option. I'll be a repair marshal in the NYC Century on September 8, ready to make repairs if needed.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Likes For noglider:
Old 08-26-19, 11:47 AM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts
....For a large metro ride it seems a fair price......I think the fee is completely reasonable......
I'm with PickleRick. I think $105 is right on the money ().

It's how much they would have to pay me to to ride 40+ miles in NYC!

But, it's all good. Do whatever floats your canoe.
Likes For kaos joe:
Old 08-26-19, 12:39 PM
PickleRick

Originally Posted by kaos joe
But, it's all good. Do whatever floats your canoe.
Thar ya go!.....and don't star grousing about it if it puts your panties in a wad.
Likes For PickleRick:
Old 08-26-19, 02:33 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts
Thar ya go!.....and don't star grousing about it if it puts your panties in a wad.
I stopped wearing panties and find I suffer far fewer wads!

PS. The Finger Lakes are probably my favorite cycling area, having done multiple tours there. My wife & myself were in Hammondsport this July winching ourselves up the hills on our tandem. Hope to get back up there this fall.
Old 08-26-19, 08:56 PM
ChiroVette

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
@ChiroVette, I volunteer as a marshal on rides like this. I did the 5 boro this year. There is not much work involved. When someone needs help, I stop and help. Then I get back in the ride. It's an option. I'll be a repair marshal in the NYC Century on September 8, ready to make repairs if needed.
Thanks for this sage advice! Since I don't want to pay the high dollar entrance fees, this way would give me the chance to contribute to a good cause, while sill getting to ride for future events. Although, I am only decent for flat tires, and very minor stuff, I think that Marshals don't have to be as repair-savvy as someone like yourself. Or does a Marshal have to be a very competent bicycle repair person?

Originally Posted by kaos joe
I stopped wearing panties and find I suffer far fewer wads!

PS. The Finger Lakes are probably my favorite cycling area, having done multiple tours there. My wife & myself were in Hammondsport this July winching ourselves up the hills on our tandem. Hope to get back up there this fall.
I love the Finger Lakes, and have friends up there. I have yet to do much riding there, but I intend to change that next year. My buddy lives up in Geneva, near the Waterloo border, and next time I visit, I am going to stay for a week and bring my bicycle. I am a total baby when it comes to hills, though. (This would be a more appropriate place for @PickleRick to make a "Cheese with my whine" comment, by the way, since with hills I really do whine lol). Still, when the scenery is right, I suck it up and cry like a girl, but ride anyway!
Old 08-26-19, 08:58 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

@ChiroVette, no you don't have to be a repair wizard. Most of the volunteers don't call themselves mechanics at all. I went to the orientation, and the speaker kept it very short. He said, if you see someone who needs help, go help. It's usually not a mechanical problem.

Old 08-26-19, 09:12 PM
ChiroVette

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Great to know, @noglider! I may contact them in the next week or so and ask if they need another Marshal. I am guessing they won't, because its so close to the ride date, but I will offer nonetheless.

If you are a Marshal, do you get to ride the whole century course? Or is it more likely that you will end up not completing it because you will be busy helping? Not a deal breaker, but I figured I would ask.
Old 08-26-19, 09:30 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

@ChiroVette, I don't think it's too late. I think I saw more slots open. You get to decide which course you'll do. I'm crazy and signed up for the 100 miles. I might die doing it. There really isn't much help to do. If someone falls, get a bunch of people to make a V around them so they don't get hurt again.

Old 08-27-19, 07:14 AM
PickleRick

@ChiroVette, I don't think it's too late. I think I saw more slots open. You get to decide which course you'll do. I'm crazy and signed up for the 100 miles. I might die doing it. There really isn't much help to do. If someone falls, get a bunch of people to make a V around them so they don't get hurt again.

Yes!....I can attest that almost the entire group of riders is very helpful if someone is in need of assistance. I always carry two or three extra CO2 cartridges to help folks get a quick start after a flat. -Have only had to assist one rider so far.
I've done the full century twice and will say that, if you follow traffic laws, it takes forever. I think my average speed was in the 11-12mph range (with all the stoplights)....now, if you're willing to jump, or outright run, the red lights (which I am not, but many do) your time should be much better. This year, if the weather cooperates, I'll see what my time is at the 50 mile mark and adjust accordingly (I may just settle for the 75mile option).

And hey, this woman does the entire century dressed like Bettie Page on a beach cruiser: https://brokelyn.com/would-you-ride-...n-these-shoes/
Old 08-27-19, 10:18 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 362 Posts
I do the ride and usually meet up with a woman that rides it on a single speed. I think the only reason I do the full 100 is because of her, if she can do it on a SS I can do it on my CF road bike. And every year she credits me with keeping her going, so we're good for each other.

As for riding this year, I still haven't registered and I'm not in great shape, but sufficient. It was 2 years ago that I did the ride at the start of an office weight loss contest. I wasn't in great shape then either and proceeded to lose 35 pounds in the next 6 months, mostly through riding.

Last edited by zacster; 08-27-19 at 01:35 PM.
Old 08-27-19, 10:25 AM
ChiroVette

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanks, @noglider!

Yes!....I can attest that almost the entire group of riders is very helpful if someone is in need of assistance. I always carry two or three extra CO2 cartridges to help folks get a quick start after a flat. -Have only had to assist one rider so far.
Oddly enough, I do that on all my rides. Not sure if this is a NY City thing or just some "people are generally stupid," thing, but I meet an awful lot of people without ANY tools at all. I come across a lot of riders that need assistance, while out on my bicycle. I always stop and help, and always ask a stopped rider if they are okay, in case they need help and didn't think to flag someone down. I carry patch kits, chain tool, all the multi-tool units, frame pump, 2 tubes, and extra CO2. It actually got to a point a few years back where I would stop and try to help someone only to find that they have a more low end bicycle or older bike and I didn't have the proper wrenches since many of them didn't have the quick release wheels and such. Really sucks to stop and help someone only to realize you don't have the right tools for their old ride. So I decided a while back to spend a couple of dollars on some portable flat crescent wrenches of various sizes that don't fit anything on my bike. So now, I am confident that even though I am far from a bicycle repairman, that I have all the tools I need to help almost anyone stranded.

I even managed to fix a few chains for strangers, boot some tires, patch some tubes, easy brake fixes, etc.. Just triage sometimes to at least get them back on the road so they can get to a bike store or home.

LMAO my point really was that even if I wasn't a marshal, I would still stop and help people on a ride like this anyway. So I might as well be a Marshal and get to ride for free. Now that I think about it, being a Marshal will likely not even change anything about my ride.

I've done the full century twice and will say that, if you follow traffic laws, it takes forever. I think my average speed was in the 11-12mph range (with all the stoplights)....now, if you're willing to jump, or outright run, the red lights (which I am not, but many do) your time should be much better. This year, if the weather cooperates, I'll see what my time is at the 50 mile mark and adjust accordingly (I may just settle for the 75mile option).
I am a flagrant scofflaw when it comes to a ride like this. It sucks to think that I might not finish a Century because I stopped for lights and stop signs that were safe to just roll through. I know, its illegal, and there are plenty of people in this forum who have, and will continue to take me to task for this. But I really want to finish the Century and I am not a fast rider. If I can maintain a speed of 12.5 MPH, then I can do the 100 miles in 8 miles, plus stops, breaks, helping people, etc.

My guess is that I can finish in ten hours and that gives me a really nice cushion of 2 hours to help as a marshal and take a few short breaks here and there. But, you are 100% right. If I have start stopping for every red light it will be really hard.

And hey, this woman does the entire century dressed like Bettie Page on a beach cruiser: https://brokelyn.com/would-you-ride-...n-these-shoes/
LMAO that's insane!
Old 08-27-19, 08:12 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

OK, I hope to see all of you folks there. I'm glad I talked you into it, @ChiroVette. You're right, with the way you help folks, marshaling won't change the ride for you. Good for you.

Don't sweat it with the red lights. There are some lights that are OK to jump. Just don't be stupid.

Old 08-28-19, 06:08 AM
ChiroVette

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
OK, I hope to see all of you folks there. I'm glad I talked you into it, @ChiroVette. You're right, with the way you help folks, marshaling won't change the ride for you. Good for you.

Don't sweat it with the red lights. There are some lights that are OK to jump. Just don't be stupid.
Unfortunately, I just checked and all the spots are filled up. Unless I am misreading it or on the wrong page, it looks like the only spots available are for a bunch of Sweep Team spots for 15 miles and one Stationary Marshal spot, neither of which would allow me to ride. Here is the page, in case I am in the wrong place:

https://signup.com/client/invitation...se#/invitation

I still may crash the ride, and if I do, I will bring all my tools and a bunch of spare inner tubes and patch kits. At least I can unofficially contribute and help out where needed. lol I don't think they can boot me off the streets, which aren't closed off anyway. But I will make sure I bring plenty of cash and snacks, as it wouldn't be right for me to try and get free food and drinks at rest stops that are there for people who paid or have official Marshal status.
Old 08-28-19, 06:15 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 1,170 Posts
I've done NYC 3 times for the century, last time had a collision near the start and broke a rib, rider didn't look and turned left. I mostly stopped doing rides like this with big mass starts as result.

$105 is reasonable and I view it as a donation to TA who is out there on the frontlines tring to improve cycling for us in NYC. That's worth a donation, IMO.

1st time I did this the only start was north end of Central Park. If you were on the Triborough you'd done 75 at that point as had the guy on a mt. bike, pulling his older kid on a trailer bike, behind and attached to that was the baby in a Burley. He had to disassemble all - twice, to get up the steps on the bridge.