Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Options for having an Under Seat bag.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Options for having an Under Seat bag.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-19, 12:14 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Topeak Aero Wedge

Sleek, aero with reflective strip and rear light clip. The one I have has dual zippers for expandability.

Old 11-01-19, 06:15 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Couple options:
Search on eg. Amazon for makeup or cosmetic pouches

or
hunt thru the listings of camera/accessory pouches on bhphoto:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searc...t&N=4075788785
Old 11-01-19, 09:05 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
That Sticky Pod looks good for the money. I might try one. There are occasions when I jam extra stuff in my jersey pocket anyway -- a second tube, etc. And it's usually a compromise, like a ziplock baggie that can slip out if I'm not careful when grabbing something else from the same pocket.

Originally Posted by JasonD67
I use a large Sticky Pod now: https://miles-wide.com/product/stick...ack-camo-copy/

I too tired of the under seat bag...it got in the way of my tail light, I had to take it off to put the bike on a stand, and just looked bad. Tried the bottle cage holder thingy...it was OK but does not hold as much as the Sticky Pod and I almost always take 2 water bottles with me on rides so it didn't work out.

After the first ride I never felt the weight in my jersey pocket.
Old 11-01-19, 09:22 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

BTW, one way to reduce the bulk and weight for pocket carry is lighter tubes like the Continental Race 28 Light. It can roll up to half the diameter of regular tubes.

I've been using them for a couple of months, no problems other than one self-inflicted -- I carelessly nicked the tube installing it, even with a Kool Stop bead jack. The tubes are ultra-thin and I neglected to powder the tube first (or spit on it, which I do for road repairs) so it would slip in easily. I didn't notice that it was jammed between the rim and tire bead and I nicked it. Patched it with a Lezyne self-sticking patch, no problems since.

The Conti Race 28 Light tubes get mixed reviews, but I'd bet most of the reviewers claiming the tubes were "defective" just didn't want to admit they'd done the same thing I did and blamed Conti for user error. It's easy to mistake a nicked tube for a manufacturing defect if they didn't first test inflate the tube before installing.

I typically use heavier duty tubes in my tires, but with the Race 28 Light I can carry two tubes instead of one -- or carry extra stuff in the little Lezyne Road Caddy. The Road Caddy is so small I couldn't fit a regular Conti Race 28 or comparable tube alongside two tire levers, a CO2 cartridge, compact CO2 injector, patch kit and flat multi-tool ("Hero" brand, smallest multi-tool I've found with a functional spoke tool).
Old 11-01-19, 09:33 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
I recently rode with someone who has the below pictured seat bag (the bike with fenders). He wasn't cold and shivering in an all day cold rain, fixed someone's saddle, changed a flat and rode away from most people like they were tied to a post. It had to be heartbreaking to some of those carbon fiber bike guys We were all stunned when he didn't pull out a Di2 charging set up when one of our party needed it I said all that to say this; an under seat bag does change the aesthetics of a bike but they pay big dividends when something goes afoul (at least for me).

Likes For nomadmax:
Old 11-01-19, 10:34 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Good point. For the past few years I've occasionally seen a commuter cyclist with panniers and he usually passed me when I was on my similar size and weight hybrid, sans panniers. Even now when I'm on my road bike he's usually going about the same speed, and makes it look effortless.

Ditto, a friend who mostly rides 30 lbs hybrids with flipped North Roads bars. Took me a couple of years of conditioning to match his speed, and he's not even trying. The guy's engine is phenomenal, especially on hills since he's a little guy. He'd be a natural for racing in his age class, but he has zero interest in competition. I keep trying to get him on a road bike but he's happy with his hybrids.

I had to lose 15 lbs of myself and another 5 off the bike to keep up with either of 'em. But I hobbled my own engine with years of smoking, although I quit 20 years ago. The damage was done.

And except when I'm on my carbon fiber bike, I tend to carry extra stuff in case I run across anyone who needs help. Happens surprisingly often, especially with the minimalists who carry one CO2 cartridge, no mini pump, a spare tube but no patch kit.

Heck, a Lezyne patch kit takes up less space than a credit card and those paper-thin self-sticking patches actually work. If nothing else folks could tape one under the saddle where it wouldn't show. For that matter, the skirts on an old school saddle like a Brooks would hide a patch kit, Conti Race 28 Light tube and lever just duct taped directly under the saddle. Might even hide a tiny mini pump or CO2 kit under there as well.

Originally Posted by nomadmax
I recently rode with someone who has the below pictured seat bag (the bike with fenders). He wasn't cold and shivering in an all day cold rain, fixed someone's saddle, changed a flat and rode away from most people like they were tied to a post. It had to be heartbreaking to some of those carbon fiber bike guys We were all stunned when he didn't pull out a Di2 charging set up when one of our party needed it I said all that to say this; an under seat bag does change the aesthetics of a bike but they pay big dividends when something goes afoul (at least for me).

Likes For canklecat:
Old 11-01-19, 03:09 PM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
If I had one bike, maybe an under-seat bag would be fine.... nah. Still not ideal. I don't like how the bags turn into mini dump trucks when you unzip them. You're looking for a CO2 and end up with everything in your hands and/or on the ground under the saddle. Sure, I'm exaggerating a bit.

I ride a few bikes any given ride. So, the same zipper pouch goes in the middle pocket on the jersey. No need for a bunch of the same crap in a bunch of saddle bags.

I found a few jersey-pocket-size zipper bags at Target - they're supposed to be makeup bags. $1/per and they've lasted years.
Old 11-01-19, 07:19 PM
bikejrff

Bikes: No. 22 Bicycle Great Divide, Lynskey R260, Salsa Colossal Ti, Litespeed T5, Lynskey Peloton, Bianchi Vigorelli, CAAD 10, Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, C-Dale Quick 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts
https://www.performancebike.com/elit...IaAhFeEALw_wcB I carry a tube, hand pump, multi tool, spoke wrench, CO2 cartridge and inflator in mine.
Old 11-02-19, 06:20 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Good point about always having the same spares kit tucked into the jersey instead of duplicates on multiple bikes. I have three bikes and when I had only two multi-tools I'd occasionally forget the check the contents of the saddle bag to be sure I had a multi-tool (which I've used often enough to tote them on every ride now).

Regarding keeping things organized, some bags are better than others. For wedge bags I've settled on the Serfas Speed Bag. Best inside organizing design I've seen. Besides the main compartment there's an elastic strap on the inside left, a long narrow pouch on the right side, a pocket inside the lid and a snap hook for keys. It's easy to find just the thing I'm looking for, if I'm consistent about where I stash the tire levers, multi-tool, etc.

The Lezyne Road Caddy has a pocket inside the top/lid, which I use to stash the patch kit and multi-tool. In the main compartment, a tube (Conti Race 28 Light fits best), CO2 cartridge and inflator, pair of tire levers. Just what I need, nothing extra.

My phone, keys and mini-wallet always stay on my body, usually in jersey pockets, in case I'm separated from the bike. After being hit by a car last year I realized how easily we can become separated from our bikes, even if we're still conscious and not in shock. Luckily the ambulance crew actually put my bike in the vehicle with me, so I still had access to my keys. I think my phone and wallet were already on me. Now I always keep those three essentials on me. Only bike stuff goes in the bike bags.
Old 11-02-19, 02:25 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by Bryan C.
Not sure who posted this idea first but I used it on my gravel bike. Small Lezyne bag and the wolftooth B-rad system puts the bag below your water bottle.

Love the bike, but those cages are fugly ...and girlie.
Likes For one4smoke:
Old 11-02-19, 03:47 PM
MikeWMass

Bikes: Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 32 Posts
I said this in a similar thread a few years ago, not sure if it was in this forum, so forgive me if I'm repeating.
I don't think an underseat bag looks any worse than jersey pockets full of stuff.
I'd rather have people say "look at that stud on the dorky bike" than "look at that dork on the studly bike"
(unfortunately they are probably saying "look at that dork on the dorky bike!")
Old 11-02-19, 04:56 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by bikejrff
https://www.performancebike.com/elit...IaAhFeEALw_wcB I carry a tube, hand pump, multi tool, spoke wrench, CO2 cartridge and inflator in mine.
I have a pair of these. I was intending to use one as a storage and the other as a water bottle, but the latter was shelved since they leak like a sieve.

The seal is not water tight and I had Gatorade in mine and it trickled out and gummed up my bike.. I still use one for storage though. They're great for that.
Old 11-02-19, 08:03 PM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
Love the bike, but those cages are fugly ...and girlie.
I have matching bar end plugs and stem cap.

I had to double check to make sure I didn't post this in Hot or Not.
Likes For Bryan C.:
Old 11-04-19, 12:55 PM
Snowflake6
Sprockets away!

Bikes: 2021 Prior Prime 105 Disc, 2015 Cannondale Synapse 105 Disc, 1996 Brodie Quantum, 1984 Norco Monterey (SRAM automatix two-speed), 198x Cramerotti Campagnolo Chorus (restored)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
I've ridden with a frame bag for at least 10 years. Fits in-line with the frame so is a fairly aerodynamic solution, and moves the weight of anything I want to bring with me forward on the bike. I'm the one with two CO2 cartridges (three on a long ride), two spares, minimalist tool kit, and basic first aid. And my cell phone and wallet. None of which is visible when I look down while riding, it all hides in below the top tube.

This isn't the exact bag but it's similar. https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5053-6...Tour-Frame-Bag

When commuting I add a large underseat bag, one of the cycle touring ones that sticks out like a big whale tail. I care less about aero when commuting, and more about getting my clothes and lunch to work in a bag that I can add and remove quickly.
Old 11-05-19, 12:05 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
I can't be bothered with looking for my repair kit and then stuffing it into a jersey. I also don't always ride in a jersey, especially when commuting. Plus, different-sized spare tubes for my bikes would require me to switch out the tube (talk to me when you get a valve failure or multiple punctures at once and run out of CO2/patches, which I've both had)

Saddle bags for me - but the on-frame option looks good too.
Old 11-06-19, 10:29 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by JasonD67
I use a large Sticky Pod now: https://miles-wide.com/product/stick...ack-camo-copy/

I too tired of the under seat bag...it got in the way of my tail light, I had to take it off to put the bike on a stand, and just looked bad. Tried the bottle cage holder thingy...it was OK but does not hold as much as the Sticky Pod and I almost always take 2 water bottles with me on rides so it didn't work out.

After the first ride I never felt the weight in my jersey pocket.
Thank you for the recommendation.

I previously used a Silca Eolo Wallet. Even though it is well-built and roomy, it was too bulky.

The Sticky Pod carries all the same gear but in a less bulky and flatter configuration.

Thanks.
Old 11-10-19, 10:52 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
BTW, one way to reduce the bulk and weight for pocket carry is lighter tubes like the Continental Race 28 Light. It can roll up to half the diameter of regular tubes.

I've been using them for a couple of months, no problems other than one self-inflicted -- I carelessly nicked the tube installing it, even with a Kool Stop bead jack. The tubes are ultra-thin and I neglected to powder the tube first (or spit on it, which I do for road repairs) so it would slip in easily. I didn't notice that it was jammed between the rim and tire bead and I nicked it. Patched it with a Lezyne self-sticking patch, no problems since.

The Conti Race 28 Light tubes get mixed reviews, but I'd bet most of the reviewers claiming the tubes were "defective" just didn't want to admit they'd done the same thing I did and blamed Conti for user error. It's easy to mistake a nicked tube for a manufacturing defect if they didn't first test inflate the tube before installing.

I typically use heavier duty tubes in my tires, but with the Race 28 Light I can carry two tubes instead of one -- or carry extra stuff in the little Lezyne Road Caddy. The Road Caddy is so small I couldn't fit a regular Conti Race 28 or comparable tube alongside two tire levers, a CO2 cartridge, compact CO2 injector, patch kit and flat multi-tool ("Hero" brand, smallest multi-tool I've found with a functional spoke tool).
I have been using them for some time but it is very easy to get a twist at the stem without noticing. Care is advised.
Likes For popeye:
Old 11-10-19, 01:54 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

@popeye: Yup, Conti Race 28 Light tubes do demand more care. But they seem to work well so far. I've used 'em for a few months, and the single puncture was self inflicted.

But I am concerned about adequate rim tape support. I've had heavy duty tubes on my hybrids fail when the rim strip didn't give adequate support. Under pressure the tube extrudes into the spoke nipple holes and eventually splits. So I'm checking the installed Race 28 Light tubes about once a month. So far, so good, but the best rim strips I've found so far are either cloth like Velox or stiff, thin plastic like Schwalbe's or similar.

Rubber band strips are useless, even on hybrids with heavy duty tubes -- eventually those have all failed or showed signs of failing. Those telltale dimples corresponding with spoke nipple holes.