Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

"...his hat, his little bike shorts..."

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

"...his hat, his little bike shorts..."

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-20, 05:09 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,439 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
Yeah, I'm sure he was worried about a cluttered utility pole. (/sarcasm)
As I mentioned in my original post, I'm not condoning the perp's actions, and I'm sorry you and a few others commenting on my post are taking it that way. I've never been to this area of the USA so not sure what's there and if problems like flyers, signs, and maybe spray-painted-graffiti are a problem; if you've lived in an area with those issues you know what I'm talking about. Just trying to get some context on the situation since the video is focused on the kid (a common media tactic to attract attention). Over-an-out.
Old 06-05-20, 05:29 PM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 502 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder
As I mentioned in my original post, I'm not condoning the perp's actions, and I'm sorry you and a few others commenting on my post are taking it that way. I've never been to this area of the USA so not sure what's there and if problems like flyers, signs, and maybe spray-painted-graffiti are a problem; if you've lived in an area with those issues you know what I'm talking about. Just trying to get some context on the situation since the video is focused on the kid (a common media tactic to attract attention). Over-an-out.
yes, I understand your comment. In the Seattle area some final areas of rails to trails were fought fiercely by property owners adjacent. Garbage and vandalism complaints. And some folks get crazy mad about that. Same with campaign signs. I am old and remember a lot of social upheavals. If ever there was a time for people to put up posters, its now. People who behave like that guy are the problem, be they in uniform or in coat and tie in an office. They all smell the same. What a downer for the cycling community.
Likes For etherhuffer:
Old 06-05-20, 05:31 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
An ATM was blown up 3 blocks from my house the other night. I know what crappy areas are like.

I’m still trying to make the connection between litter and graffiti on the one hand and battering a child (or anyone) on the other. What realistically possible context could be relevant? Guess it’s easier to turn tail and run rather than clarify/explain what you meant by you’re not condoning it... but maybe there’s a lot of litter in the area. Or maybe you can’t. Let’s assume the place looks like a Staten Island landfill. How is that relevant to the battery of an innocent child?

BTW...It’s not an airport. You don’t have to announce your departure. But enjoy your flight anyway.

Last edited by indyfabz; 06-05-20 at 06:43 PM.
Old 06-05-20, 05:50 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by etherhuffer
I wondered if this topic had popped up. Sure enough. I have another thought. Here in Seattle we are pretty white bread overall. In the last few years I have noticed a lot more people of color cycling. This is good. I am a doctor and deal with the eye complications of diabetes. Considering the content of the material he was mad about, and assaulting a little girl, how would he deal with a Black, Asian, Hispanic cyclist? People out trying to be healthier have to deal with this ****? Find out who he is. Make him (in)famous
He was the cyclist. The other three were apparently pedestrians posting the flyers.

Another thread suggested that his ride was posted to Strava and this might be his undoing. He'll be found. And found out.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 06-05-20, 05:54 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts

​​​​​​You are digging the hole deeper. The video is focused on the kid because that idiot assaulted her because his snowflake feelings got hurt by the suggestion that killer cops should go to prison. How the hell is that a media tactic? Why would you work so hard to find some stupid reason like that for him to go off on her?

I'm in the right demographic group for people to make all sorts of lame excuses for me if I want to turn violent, apparently.
Old 06-05-20, 06:00 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
I thought "misdemeanor" was synonymous with "up to a year in jail."

Yes, at first glance I thought I was misreading the statute, but apparently misdemeanor has a different meaning in Maryland.

The word's meaning has evolved over time. See the impeachment clause of the Constitution.
Old 06-05-20, 06:04 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,694 Times in 2,516 Posts
Twitter says there is an arrest in progress. Retired police.

On edit: not police

Last edited by unterhausen; 06-06-20 at 06:11 PM.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 06-05-20, 06:15 PM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Originally Posted by thumpism
He was the cyclist. The other three were apparently pedestrians posting the flyers.

Another thread suggested that his ride was posted to Strava and this might be his undoing. He'll be found. And found out.
Yes, I have that all sorted out. I am ignorant of Strava, is that where your ride gets detailed out on a site for review or stat use? Funny these electronic trails we leave now. I am so bummed that a cyclist would do this. Cycling is my refuge from the screaming yelling raging public. Even crazy cyclists are never this crazy that I have ever witnessed
Old 06-05-20, 06:16 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,032 Times in 1,427 Posts
It really doesn't matter what the kid did. The guy's actions were inexcusable.
Old 06-05-20, 06:16 PM
etherhuffer 

Originally Posted by unterhausen
Twitter says there is an arrest in progress. Retired police.
Ugh..... What a day. Glad they found the guy
Likes For etherhuffer:
Old 06-05-20, 06:25 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Yes, I have that all sorted out. I am ignorant of Strava, is that where your ride gets detailed out on a site for review or stat use? Funny these electronic trails we leave now. I am so bummed that a cyclist would do this. Cycling is my refuge from the screaming yelling raging public. Even crazy cyclists are never this crazy that I have ever witnessed
I'm equally ignorant of Strava; never used it or investigated it and only know what I've heard but one of those things is that "foreign entities" have reportedly monitored the behavior of U.S. troops on deployment based on what the personnel have posted to Strava (or some similar app), leading to a reported shutdown of the app's use by them.

All of the crazy cyclists I know do their yelling at traffic.
Old 06-05-20, 06:29 PM
etherhuffer 

I'm equally ignorant of Strava; never used it or investigated it and only know what I've heard but one of those things is that "foreign entities" have reportedly monitored the behavior of U.S. troops on deployment based on what the personnel have posted to Strava (or some similar app), leading to a reported shutdown of the app's use by them.

All of the crazy cyclists I know do their yelling at traffic.
I just noted in your info that you have a Nishiki Cresta GT. Could you let me know your address and maybe leave the garage door open tonight?
Old 06-05-20, 06:34 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

I just noted in your info that you have a Nishiki Cresta GT. Could you let me know your address and maybe leave the garage door open tonight?
It's a 25". Can I still keep the door locked?
Old 06-05-20, 06:37 PM
etherhuffer 

It's a 25". Can I still keep the door locked?
I ride 64cm on most everything. You are not safe! I remember when those first came out, I was impressed by the way they soaked up the bumps. And reasonable price if I remember right. Passed on one here last year, a bit too rough shape.
Old 06-05-20, 06:57 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

strava got a lot of bad publicity for revealing people's location too easily. I don't see any evidence that they really did anything to fix that. It seems like they are going to limit access to flybys though. If this guy's ride was on strava, he was recording with his phone because it really doesn't look like he has a gps on his bars, just a computer. Which would go with the '95 lightspeed.
Old 06-05-20, 07:03 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

I ride 64cm on most everything. You are not safe! I remember when those first came out, I was impressed by the way they soaked up the bumps. And reasonable price if I remember right. Passed on one here last year, a bit too rough shape.
Mine's a beaut. Faded cable housing is about the only thing wrong. Have not decided if I'm keeping it. Wanted a rock solid '80s tourer but have not thoroughly vetted this one yet and, if being honest, I probably should have kept to my oath not to buy any more bikes over 24"/62cm since I started shrinking. It might be a tad too big.

Post 2202 on page 89:
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-bikes-89.html

Back to our regularly scheduled thread now.
Old 06-05-20, 07:14 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Excerpt from a comment by Gayle King on CBS This Morning during a report on a cyclist who tried to take from flyers from a kid and mom on a DC area MUP. You can Google the clip before I can find it (aired mere moments ago). Gayle was saying that the helmeted and Lycra-ed cyclist could probably be identified by his clothing by someone seeing the clip. The guy also evidently rammed the cameraperson with his bike while making his getaway. Fun times, no?

My guess is that he is a police officer - jacked-up middle-aged body style, oversized sense of outrage/enritlement, unironic mirror sunglasses, comfortable using his hands and his bike to subdue others.

Many older police will ride bikes to maintain aerobic fitness rather than run (old knees).

The incident location was likely in his jurisdiction or not far away. He's comfortable acting in this manner in this location with impunity....because he knows who'll show up if the police are called.

Just my educated guess.

Last edited by jlaw; 06-05-20 at 07:21 PM.
Likes For jlaw:
Old 06-05-20, 07:20 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

They got him. The first paragraph and the line with his name are new, while the rest is from several hours ago.

Three counts of second degree assault.

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...lyers/2324220/

Last edited by thumpism; 06-05-20 at 07:23 PM.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 06-05-20, 07:26 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Official press release. PDF warning https://www.montgomeryparks.org/uplo...il-Assault.pdf
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 06-05-20, 07:29 PM
etherhuffer 

Mine's a beaut. Faded cable housing is about the only thing wrong. Have not decided if I'm keeping it. Wanted a rock solid '80s tourer but have not thoroughly vetted this one yet and, if being honest, I probably should have kept to my oath not to buy any more bikes over 24"/62cm since I started shrinking. It might be a tad too big.

Post 2202 on page 89:
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-bikes-89.html

Back to our regularly scheduled thread now.
Wow, that is nice!
Old 06-05-20, 07:29 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Old 06-05-20, 08:30 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,032 Times in 1,427 Posts
Looks like Red from That 70’s Show.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 06-05-20, 08:36 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
Looks like Red from That 70’s Show.
Definitely a dumbass.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-05-20, 08:45 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Why wasn't he charged with aggravated assault? As I understand it, that applies when someone uses any object to assault a person with, and he used his bike as a weapon.

Hope he gets more than a pat on the wrist and "be nicer next time".
Old 06-05-20, 08:46 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
The only thing crazier than what he did probably would be hearing why he did it.

Likes For hillyman:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.