Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New rider...what is a good average speed?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New rider...what is a good average speed?

Old 07-04-20, 05:06 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
Wheel overlap is a bad habit that so many riders have. In a large pack sometimes it can’t be helped. I see it however, with groups of 4 and 5 riders. Basic group riding skill to have; learn to ride directly behind the person in front of you.
I think this is something that gets very overblown and taken out of context.

Wheel overlap is inevitable. Doesn't matter if it's 150 riders or 2 riders. I probably spend half my time in a larger group with overlapped wheels.

The issue comes when riders overlapping wheels either don't leave themselves room/an out, or they don't pay close enough attention to the rider and road ahead. If you're overlapping wheels for a long amount of time and have another rider 2 inches from your handlebars on the other side, then you really have nowhere to go should something happen. But if you're overlapping wheels with room to move on the other side, you're fine.

Overlapping wheels isn't something to avoid outright, it's something to be aware of when it happens and leave yourself room to maneuver.

The better group riding skill to have is to always be looking to the riders and the road ahead and leave yourself outs. Anticipate and react.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 07-04-20, 05:28 AM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
The better group riding skill to have is to always be looking to the riders and the road ahead and leave yourself outs. Anticipate and react.
Oh, and being able to scrub speed without braking! Massively important skill for smooth group riding.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 07-04-20, 06:00 AM
kosmo886

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Germanrazor
It does??? No way! What is this mountain bike thingy you speak of? LOL

Seriously, enjoy and road cycling rules over mountain biking. I have done both disciplines and would never go back to the fore mentioned other.
Totally agree. I wasn’t sure how much I was going to like road biking given the (in my view) uncomfortable riding position and likelihood of getting run over by a car. I got a gravel bike for maximum versatility and comfort and using two wheel sets. Love it. Can be as upright as I want with a nice short reach or as aero as I need to be in the drops. Just got ride 3 in. 27 miles nice and early before traffic. I still love my indoor Peloton rides, but really happy with the decision to hit the real road! And I have a new appreciation for inclines...even the hardly noticeable ones (when you aren’t on a bike that is).
Old 07-04-20, 08:29 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10392 Post(s)
Liked 11,842 Times in 6,062 Posts
Oh, and being able to scrub speed without braking! Massively important skill for smooth group riding.
Yeah, these skills take time and practice to acquire, and a fast group ride will assume you already have them. Hey, isn't there a whole thread on this? "We'll Yell At You"?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-04-20, 10:46 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
I think this is something that gets very overblown and taken out of context.

Wheel overlap is inevitable. Doesn't matter if it's 150 riders or 2 riders. I probably spend half my time in a larger group with overlapped wheels.

The issue comes when riders overlapping wheels either don't leave themselves room/an out, or they don't pay close enough attention to the rider and road ahead. If you're overlapping wheels for a long amount of time and have another rider 2 inches from your handlebars on the other side, then you really have nowhere to go should something happen. But if you're overlapping wheels with room to move on the other side, you're fine.

Overlapping wheels isn't something to avoid outright, it's something to be aware of when it happens and leave yourself room to maneuver.

As I said, sometimes it can’t be helped, just like driving too close to the car in front of you. The problem is when it becomes the default position. It really is a less effective place to ride in a lot of cases because your taking on more wind than needed and as with most less ideal situations, eventually you lose concentration at the wrong moment and down you go. Overlap happens, as I said.
Old 07-04-20, 11:00 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
As I said, sometimes it can’t be helped, just like driving too close to the car in front of you. The problem is when it becomes the default position. It really is a less effective place to ride in a lot of cases because your taking on more wind than needed and as with most less ideal situations, eventually you lose concentration at the wrong moment and down you go. Overlap happens, as I said.
Unless there's a strong crosswind in which case you want to be heavily overlapped. Earlier this year while on a solo ride a team came by and invited me into their rotation. It was a fast paced ride and when riding with the wind from the side we were echeloned across the road. Definitely have to pay close attention though with a few 'ripples' occurring in the group.
Old 07-04-20, 11:07 AM
rubiksoval

There is no default position. You draft, you overlap to slow, then you draft again. It happens constantly. It's not a less than ideal situation. It's simply another situation that one needs to be cognizant and capable of handling.

The "don't overlap" thing causes people to needlessly brake repeatedly which causes the people behind them to brake which opens up gaps, etc. It's the opposite of what's needed for smooth group riding.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 07-04-20, 11:15 AM
colnago62

There is no default position. You draft, you overlap to slow, then you draft again. It happens constantly. It's not a less than ideal situation. It's simply another situation that one needs to be cognizant and capable of handling.

The "don't overlap" thing causes people to needlessly brake repeatedly which causes the people behind them to brake which opens up gaps, etc. It's the opposite of what's needed for smooth group riding.
I don’t disagree, which is why I wrote it is a problem when it becomes the default position. A good time to overlap is when there is a change in the pace Instead of braking.

Last edited by colnago62; 07-04-20 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-04-20, 11:20 AM
colnago62

Originally Posted by gregf83
Unless there's a strong crosswind in which case you want to be heavily overlapped. Earlier this year while on a solo ride a team came by and invited me into their rotation. It was a fast paced ride and when riding with the wind from the side we were echeloned across the road. Definitely have to pay close attention though with a few 'ripples' occurring in the group.
I am referring to wheel overlap. In a side wind, I am riding the hip. In an Echelon, hopefully everybody understands rider position and how the rotation works.
Old 07-04-20, 02:52 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
I am referring to wheel overlap. In a side wind, I am riding the hip. In an Echelon, hopefully everybody understands rider position and how the rotation works.
The most effective position is a function of the apparent wind angle. Directly behind in a straight headwind to on the hip in a strong crosswind. In between there is often overlap.
Old 07-04-20, 03:19 PM
colnago62

Originally Posted by gregf83
The most effective position is a function of the apparent wind angle. Directly behind in a straight headwind to on the hip in a strong crosswind. In between there is often overlap.
I try to avoid that position. You are free to do what you feel is best.
Old 07-04-20, 03:38 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by frankenmike
Most accurate would be to divide your distance by how long it actually took you.
So simple, yet so hard to ignore all those electronics.
We have all those electronics and when it comes time to prepare - it is all the watch on a known course.

On topic - junior (21 year old been cycling since 8) can hold a bit over 30, on the TT bike and around 28 on road bike for 20-30min.
Here are some of the faster USA solo times https://www.strava.com/segments/3438723
Old 07-04-20, 09:24 PM
tigat

Bikes: 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL (GRX Di2), 2020 Domane SLR 9 (very green), 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 55 Posts
Also on topic: A 55 yr. old buddy of mine with no significant cardio background - played a lot of squash and did gym stuff but was never a runner or the like - started riding two months ago. He's been riding with me two or three times a week, and getting stronger by the day.

This morning, we rode 46 relatively flat miles at an average of 18.2 mph. He has not mastered or even tried the art of drafting, so I would call it a solo effort. I'd say he has a year or more before the upside is reached, and its going to be in the low 20s.

At 64, I'm just hoping I'll be able to keep up when that happens.
Old 07-05-20, 06:36 AM
Rvair

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
cycling speed

I have ignored speed, as conditions are always changing. I focus on my critical power curve. At 63 and 190 lb,, while my FTP is 260W and my max is 1600W, I have found some flat spots in between that needed work. My events on the track last a max of 37 seconds ( 500M TT). My 20 second power is 950W, but as I get to 60 second power, I drop off too far at 560W. so I have been focusing on Tabata intervals to bring that up to over 600W, and it has helped my 500M finish immensely. I am now a slave to the power meter! It is really hard to do Tabatas well without a power meter. Speed and heart rate don't hack it. I try to average 500W for each Tabata effort. Interesting that each set of 8 Tabata intervals declines by about 10 W. By the 4th set of 8, I am only able to manage 460W. This has also helped my recovery more than other intervals. Still, nothing seems to beat a good points race for working on recovery. I have never seen a bike racer look at their speedometer in anything but a 40K TT, but many use power meters to judge their breakaway efforts, so they don't get fooled by adrenaline and blow up.
Old 07-05-20, 11:46 AM
Doge

Originally Posted by kosmo886
Average around 265 watts for 45 min rides.
I don't know you size, or missed that post. I did 265 @ the hub (pedal/crank PM may measure 5-10W more) today to see what speed it would get me. 21-22mph. I know you had lights. I'm 200+ # and hairy legs, good posture hands on hoods.

I'd guess you could pick up 1-2 mph just on kit, position/fit at the same power. Of course the bike does not matter a whole bunch, but it does matter. In fit first, but also at 20+ the frame and wheels.
Old 07-05-20, 11:48 AM
Doge

Originally Posted by Rvair
I have ignored speed, as conditions are always changing. I focus on my critical power curve. At 63 and 190 lb,, while my FTP is 260W and my max is 1600W, I have found some flat spots in between that needed work. My events on the track last a max of 37 seconds ( 500M TT). My 20 second power is 950W, but as I get to 60 second power, I drop off too far at 560W. so I have been focusing on Tabata intervals to bring that up to over 600W, and it has helped my 500M finish immensely. I am now a slave to the power meter! It is really hard to do Tabatas well without a power meter. Speed and heart rate don't hack it. I try to average 500W for each Tabata effort. Interesting that each set of 8 Tabata intervals declines by about 10 W. By the 4th set of 8, I am only able to manage 460W. This has also helped my recovery more than other intervals. Still, nothing seems to beat a good points race for working on recovery. I have never seen a bike racer look at their speedometer in anything but a 40K TT, but many use power meters to judge their breakaway efforts, so they don't get fooled by adrenaline and blow up.
Depends on the goal. Is it speed (what the OP asked about), or is it power, or is it seeing the landscape. As my kid was always about speed, we didn't use the PM much, as his goal was to get faster.
Old 07-05-20, 02:28 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by Rvair
The is very high peak power, esp at 63 190 lb.
This morning I changed the Garmin to show power (I normally do not even look). I was curious what speed I'd hold on a flat (no noticeable wind help) section @265 W like the OP. Funny I can be very close guessing my kid, but little idea about me. I saw 21 mph and could vary from 20-22 on the same 265W by position. I found with my son we'd see 3-4 mph different at same power. I find holding power and adjusting things to see the speed increases more interesting than trying to achieve a power. Strava KOMs that show power show that it is often not W/Kg that do the best on other than hills.
Old 07-06-20, 09:20 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
I just started riding...I am two rides in, both around 22 miles, so not particularly long. Averaging 19.8mph solo with roughly 1000ft of vertical (up and down given they are loops). Wind hasn't been a big factor on these rides and I've been able to keep moving without more than 1 or 2 stops at a light or something. I know there are no "typical" numbers, but trying to get a sense for how I'd keep up with a group of much more experienced riders...
jeez. i'm a daily commuter and weekend road rider, and my avg still only hits around 15-16 on a good day. but i'm a small guy with small legs? i dunno. I don't know how some of y'all get up so fast. i physically can't do it.
Old 07-06-20, 09:36 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2133 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
I just started riding...I am two rides in, both around 22 miles, so not particularly long. Averaging 19.8mph solo with roughly 1000ft of vertical (up and down given they are loops). Wind hasn't been a big factor on these rides and I've been able to keep moving without more than 1 or 2 stops at a light or something. I know there are no "typical" numbers, but trying to get a sense for how I'd keep up with a group of much more experienced riders...
Are you notching that kind of average on 700x40 tires?
Old 07-06-20, 09:42 AM
kosmo886

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Are you notching that kind of average on 700x40 tires?
No. Those do roll pretty nicely though. I put on a set of 32mm GP5000 tubeless.
Old 07-06-20, 12:18 PM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
I'm a lot slower than that, and I've been riding a long time. Of course, i'm ancient and damaged in various ways.
Old 07-06-20, 12:35 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10392 Post(s)
Liked 11,842 Times in 6,062 Posts
Originally Posted by the sci guy
jeez. i'm a daily commuter and weekend road rider, and my avg still only hits around 15-16 on a good day. but i'm a small guy with small legs? i dunno. I don't know how some of y'all get up so fast. i physically can't do it.
Part of it's like qualifying for the Olympics - you have to choose your grandparents carefully.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-06-20, 12:47 PM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by the sci guy
Years/decades of training and tens/hundreds of thousands of miles.
Old 07-06-20, 12:55 PM
jblackmd

Bikes: 1973 Raleigh Supercourse TT, 1997 Specialized Rockhopper FS

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
Hey, great post! Now I'm totally self-conscious about my pace. I was happy with 15... until now. Everything is flat where I live. No blazing fast downhills, no significant climbs. Oh well.

Last edited by jblackmd; 07-06-20 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-06-20, 01:03 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3933 Post(s)
Liked 7,255 Times in 2,935 Posts
Originally Posted by jblackmd
Hey, great post! Now I'm totally self-conscious about my pace. I was happy with 15... until now. Everything is flat where I live. No blazing fast downhills, no significant climbs. Oh well.
Switch your bike computer to km/hr -- you'll feel better instantly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.