Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Please share your *Top Secret, most filling, lowest calorie snacks

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Please share your *Top Secret, most filling, lowest calorie snacks

Old 07-11-20, 11:46 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
Originally Posted by CyclingBK
Ok, so when all is said and done, incredibly, I have decided my go to “get me from mid afternoon to dinner” snack, is a couple of these.

Taralli!

For those not familiar, they are an exquisite Italian baked cracker of sorts. Absurdly delicious and loaded with calories. Each little guy has almost 40 calories.
Those look pretty decent.

I might try making up a batch ... with some savory/herb filling. Yum.
Old 07-11-20, 12:09 PM
CyclingBK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Clyde1820
Those look pretty decent.

I might try making up a batch ... with some savory/herb filling. Yum.
Id say go for it. If you have some baking skills you can find lots of recipes. And make your own version with lower calories if you want.

My father in law took up baking and makes a killer batch.

Buy a good pack made in Italy if you can to get a feel for the texture and taste. They are crunchy and flaky yet somehow still rich and not dry.

Youlll be hooked so be careful; )

Post a pic if you do it!
Old 07-12-20, 03:53 PM
Froomewannabe

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Most have been mentioned above, but mine include raw baby carrots, Oikos greek yogurt with strawberries(150 cal), apple, & orange.

Some others I didn't see.... pickled beets, Kroger orange "popcycle treat" w/ice cream middle (100 cal).

Since the Pandemic I have been eating out less and we have tried a few of the following items, just for overall better eating and trying to better fuel my workouts.
https://www.bicycling.com/health-nut...963/meal-plan/
Likes For Froomewannabe:
Old 07-13-20, 11:39 AM
Froomewannabe

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
https://www.womansday.com/health-fit...r-50-calories/
Old 07-18-20, 09:18 PM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 163 Posts
Congratulations CyclingBK for the lost weight. Once i tried Puffed Rice Cakes after a low battery warning, they filled my stomach but didn't help with the energy. Try them
Likes For holytrousers:
Old 07-19-20, 12:47 AM
Clyde1820

No worries and thanks. I have a Fage 2% for breakfast with fruit everyday and love the stuff.

Maybe I’ll replace the peanut butter with a Fage 0 or 2%. It would actually be less calories, more protein, and probably more filling.

Only concern was, will 2 yogurts a day bother my stomach? I’m not lactose intolerant.

I’ll give this a shot.

A couple of things I often do:

One puffed-rice cake with a little bit of peanut butter slathered over one side, with a strawberry (sliced) or blueberries. A bit over 50cal, but very tasty. Fats, protein, carbs, but in moderation.

A few tablespoons of a decent whole-milk yogurt, with a small handful of sunflower seeds (or pumpkin seeds), perhaps with a small amount of peanut butter if you want it for flavor. Easily adjusted for <50cal or <100cal. Fats, protein, carbs, but in moderation.

A few tablespoons of a decent whole-milk yogurt, with a couple tablespoons of cooked oatmeal, perhaps with some blueberries tossed in. Higher carbs, given the oatmeal but, again, easily adjusted for volume. Great for a quicky, on-the-go snack. You can take it with you, if you save those little 6oz yogurt containers with a plastic lid.

* An Indian grocery near where I live has a great yogurt in big ~80oz tubs for about $7. That'll give you a good month's worth of these little snacks based on yogurt.
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 07-19-20, 10:01 AM
CyclingBK

Originally Posted by Clyde1820
A couple of things I often do:

One puffed-rice cake with a little bit of peanut butter slathered over one side, with a strawberry (sliced) or blueberries. A bit over 50cal, but very tasty. Fats, protein, carbs, but in moderation.

A few tablespoons of a decent whole-milk yogurt, with a small handful of sunflower seeds (or pumpkin seeds), perhaps with a small amount of peanut butter if you want it for flavor. Easily adjusted for <50cal or <100cal. Fats, protein, carbs, but in moderation.

A few tablespoons of a decent whole-milk yogurt, with a couple tablespoons of cooked oatmeal, perhaps with some blueberries tossed in. Higher carbs, given the oatmeal but, again, easily adjusted for volume. Great for a quicky, on-the-go snack. You can take it with you, if you save those little 6oz yogurt containers with a plastic lid.

* An Indian grocery near where I live has a great yogurt in big ~80oz tubs for about $7. That'll give you a good month's worth of these little snacks based on yogurt.

Wow, now these are really *top secret, exactly what I had in mind ; ) My challenge will be that these require planning and patience, lol

I will try cause those sound excellent.
Old 07-19-20, 07:08 PM
Clyde1820

Wow, now these are really *top secret, exactly what I had in mind ; ) My challenge will be that these require planning and patience, lol

I will try cause those sound excellent.
Well, can't help you there.

Easy enough to stock up on: next grocery run, pick up one pack of those "rice" cake thingies, and a big jar of creamy peanut butter, along with a big bag of frozen blueberries or mixed berries. Find a decent grocery (perhaps Indian/Pakistani, or a "farm" type shop) that has a good whole-milk yogurt. Then, whenever you want, just toss a couple tablespoons of each into one of your spare 6oz plastic yogurt containers ... and you're done. That stash should last you a couple of weeks of snacking. You can stuff the remaining space of the container with any smaller pieces of mix-and-match veggies too. (Carrots, celery, snap peas, or similar.) An easy, on-the-go, 50-100cal snack that's got a good mix of fats, proteins and carbs. If you want more carbs, you can toss in half a handful of granola as well.

You can do it.
Old 07-19-20, 07:14 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked 945 Times in 552 Posts
a quart of unsweetened chocolate almond milk only 160 calories and works for me.
Old 07-27-20, 06:55 PM
CyclingBK

I know this will sound crazy but I realized that about 10 Dark Chocolate M&Ms, or even just 5, really takes away my hunger. They are like 3 calories each.

Obviously not the healthiest snack in the world but as far as calorie to satisfaction ratio, tough to beat 😊
Old 07-27-20, 07:46 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I know this will sound crazy but I realized that about 10 Dark Chocolate M&Ms, or even just 5, really takes away my hunger. They are like 3 calories each.

Obviously not the healthiest snack in the world but as far as calorie to satisfaction ratio, tough to beat 😊
Eating chocolate or candy relesaes dopamine in the brain. Dopamine is a pleasure hormone and it supresses hunger. The satisfaction you get is all mental or psychological and has nothing to do with actual calories.
Old 07-27-20, 08:03 PM
CyclingBK

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Eating chocolate or candy relesaes dopamine in the brain. Dopamine is a pleasure hormone and it supresses hunger. The satisfaction you get is all mental or psychological and has nothing to do with actual calories.
Nice! Exercise releases dopamine as well, right?

Now, wonder if youd get a double dopamine “hit” if you ate chocolate....

while cycling! 😊