Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What's an acceptable leak rate from tubeless gravel tires

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What's an acceptable leak rate from tubeless gravel tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-20, 03:58 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Leaks are unacceptable to me no matter how small a leak may be...That's why I don't use tubeless, it seems more trouble than it's worth.
Old 08-16-20, 04:46 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
all tires and tubes are leaking constantly, the difference is the rate at which they are leaking. I had 20 flats on my gravel bike the year before I switched to tubeless. I would switch to tubeless on my road bike if I had a little more faith in it for narrower tires.
Old 08-16-20, 05:02 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Toadmeister , that might be sealant coming through the sidewalls...And I wouldn't worry about it. To make suppler tires, some mfrs intentionally make the sidewalls relatively thin to the point of being porous. And then they are counting on the sealant finishing the job of making the sidewalls airtight. The alternative is much heavier, stiffer sidewalls, which will reduce ride quality.

If these tires had !,000+ miles on 'em, and we were actually seeing sealant (as opposed to some damp-looking spots), I might be more concerned. But this looks fairly normal.

PS: You might not see even this little bit of leakage if you use Orange Seal next time.
yeah, makes sense. Sorta what I figured, today was the first day I noticed that but now I think back, I have seen it before.

I have used up all my Stans and am starting to use Orange seal on my newer wheels.

Last edited by Toadmeister; 08-16-20 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-16-20, 05:05 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
all tires and tubes are leaking constantly, the difference is the rate at which they are leaking. I had 20 flats on my gravel bike the year before I switched to tubeless. I would switch to tubeless on my road bike if I had a little more faith in it for narrower tires.
what unterhausen said. A trade off of light tires is a higher rate of air permeation. Add more sealant and spin those tires to help seal.

tubeless tires are one of the best upgrades I’ve done to my bikes. More supple ride, less roatating mass, self-sealing. I’ve had a couple roadside punctures this year, nail and glass, that sealed themselves. What a relief not having to change a tube roadside!

Also note, your auto tires are tubeless.

Last edited by Toadmeister; 08-16-20 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-16-20, 06:45 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Maybe try larger gravel
Old 08-16-20, 07:50 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
experienced a tubeless carbon wheel having less air loss over time compared to a tubeless aluminum wheel using an identical tire.

The carbon wheel was much more of a tight turdcase mounting the tire on.
Old 08-16-20, 09:03 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Helldorado
Still, it should not have taken almost two weeks for the tires to stay inflated overnight. I attribute it to the low-budget rims that came OEM with the bike. Thanks for your comments.
Low budget rims shouldn't be on that bike. Thats the real crime here.