Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Are you that vain?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Are you that vain?

Old 08-21-20, 07:27 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Some of you are missing some details.

This is assumed during a pandemic when there are no a lot of bikes available.

Say your bike was stolen and you have none. The only bikes you can get are the 3 I listed... pick and why?

Not, I buy my own frames and build them myself. Or I just order what I want...

Are looks more important than function?
Old 08-21-20, 07:39 PM
jimmyodonnell

Bikes: Specialized Langster SS Specialized Sirrus X 4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 37 Posts
1 -- On the first question of which bike, I'd get the 3rd option in the stated preferred color of RED, with Ultegra.
Ultegra's good enough for me at my current level, so there's a point of diminishing returns (for me) when contemplating top-quality features.
I realize the assumption built into the question is that money is not an object, but the top-end componentry isn't part of my dream-bike scenario.
So if the bike is the right color and the only compromise is that it has Ultegra, well that suits me.

2 -- Aesthetics don't matter over equipment, but once equipment standards are met then yes the aesthetic standard also has to be met.
Like Humbug says there are too many good looking options available to go with one you don;t like aesthetically.
Most realistically, I'd be wiling to WAIT for the combo I want . . . if I've waited this long, I can wait a few more months for what I want.

3 -- I use a saddlebag. It's the smallest option I can find that fits my roadside repair stuff. I bought a seatroll which would look cooler than the saddlebag but it doesn't work / doesn't fit as well as the bag . . . the aesthetic difference is minimal so I use the bag and it doesn't bother me on looks.

4 -- My kit doesn't necessarily match my bike colors but the kit pieces all matches each other well enough that the overall look works . . . ie, the kit color scheme doesn't look stupid against the look of the bike. Most of my riding clothes are by the same brand, so it's all kinda match-match even if the color accents are a little different . . . again, the overall look satisfies. One I got a "look" going, yeah the additional kit pieces I choose to buy tend to fit with what I already have. On this note, my helmet + shoes + gloves are all white + black . . . I credit my LBS salesman for this, he walked around the shop and pulled all the stuff so I bought all those basics first without even considering it, it all just worked.

5 -- Yes I do sometimes look at window reflections from time to time, not always. At first I was checking my posture and how my fit looks onboard . . . I'm generally happy with the look so yeah I do check it from time to time but it's not a priority.

6 -- As I upgrade parts on the bike, I've become aware of the matching aesthetics. I bought a wheel set with silver hubs to replace my stock wheels which had black hubs . . . I didn't really think about the black vs silver question when I bought the wheels . . . now, as I consider future upgrade on my crankset and chainrings, I have to decide on silver vs black. . . I'll probably go with silver so the lower part of the bike will be silver and the cockpit / upper part of the bike will remain black . . . I don't want or need to upgrade my stem, seat post or handlebars to silver, it will all look fine. I have a white saddle, so my bar tape is white and will probably always be white.

7 -- all my bibs are black, but some have a contrasting stripe on one of the leg cuffs / grippers . . . my jerseys that are the same brand as the bibs tend to match by default, like the OP it just worked that way. As I buy new jerseys yes I choose colors that will match with a couple of the bibs. They don't have to match perfectly, I dn;t have any match-match jerseys + bibs that I bought together specifically to match . . . the overall look works in any combo of the kit I currently have.

8 -- BEING HONEST, as Glenn implores in the OP, yes this stuff matters to me and my choices reflect that. I'm fairly new to cycling and I bought all my current apparel earlier this year in a couple large (pricey) purchases. But as Plainsman says in #6 , it matters "to a degree" . . . riding a bike isn't a fashion show, but again I reference Humbug's point in #8 stating that there's enough stuff out there to accommodate personal preferences without having to settle for stuff that has compromised appeal -- basically I apply this approach to both the apparel and the equipment selections. I bought a cool water bottle because I like the graphics and it looks great on the bike, not chosen consciously for that but probably subconsciously I was drawn to its look and it fits the rest of the look. I don't grab apparel off the sale rack at my LBS if it doesn't go with the look of my other stuff, I only have enough that I need for my riding frequency. Yes I would wear mismatched stuff from time to time if it''s all that I have clean, but I hand-wash my kit immediately after the ride so I don't ever run low on clean stuff.

9 -- EXTRA CREDIT (ok, there is no 9th question) . . . I had a hard time finding LOW SOCKS, and I don't like the current style of high socks. Thankfully the apparel brand I buy had low socks in the sale / clearance section so I solved that, I guess nobody else buys them. Low socks (for the consideration of the other 4 people who still wear them) tend to come now in only black or white, so when I found some I jumped on them.

SUMMARY (for anyone who's still awake) -- I tend to buy like this in other areas of my life, it simplifies things greatly for me . . . my jeans are all of the same brand, and my casual clothes, and my sneakers are all the same brand and style in different colors, and my outdoor wear / gear is usually from one brand . . . I'm not to the point of being neurotic about it but I just end up with fewer things that I use a lot rather than a lot of stuff that I don't use enough.

Last edited by jimmyodonnell; 08-21-20 at 07:46 PM.
Likes For jimmyodonnell:
Old 08-21-20, 07:58 PM
basscadet

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
If you like your bike who cares what other people think?

Yes, I think SRAM's AXS eTap groupset looks chintzy and cheap. Yes, I'm considering buying a bike with this groupset. No, I don't care what you or anyone else thinks. If Canyon had the bike I wanted in Ultegra Di2 it would have been already ordered it.
Old 08-21-20, 08:01 PM
Dancing Skeleton

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
Geez,
Why does anyone get so effing passionate about what anyone else likes?
I don't like Specialized bikes, I like Trek's.
I'm not a fan of Shimano, I like Sram.
One of my best cycling (and non-cycling friends) doesn't like Trek, he likes Specialized.
And he doesn't like Sram, he has Shimano on all of his bikes.

Neither one of us cares what the other has, and conversation about which is better has consumed less that five minutes of our time in ten years of riding together.

Ride what you like, everyone is different.

C'mon, we all love cycling.
Likes For Dancing Skeleton:
Old 08-21-20, 08:41 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
I thought the original comment was referring to the tyre clearance issue from the etap battery.

But yeah, lets make it about aesthetics.
Likes For znomit:
Old 08-21-20, 08:58 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I'd go with function over aesthetics, at least for my main equipment.

Though it's not my *dream* bike, my current road bike is pink. I hate pink. I bought it because it had everything else I wanted for the price I was willing to spend. I am now also the proud owner of pink water bottles, because I kinda care about aesthetics, but not enough to override what I want from my equipment.

Same thing with bike kit - sometimes it completely matches, sometimes it doesn't. I like hi-viz socks in low light conditions (function), even if they don't match anything. Off the bike, I like the aesthetic of wearing all or mostly black. That's not gonna work for me out on the road.
Old 08-21-20, 10:17 PM
Joearch

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV Disc Ultegra

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 31 Posts
For me cycling is the blend of sport, technology and aesthetics. I am a design professional so love the object. I paid more for my Bianchi than a comparable equipped Specialized because of design and color. Kit components go together but not all colors go with Celete. Bikes are expensive, on,y get what you will love for awhile. High visibility is important for me giving the feeling of higher level of safety, other wise my kit would be black, grey and white.
Old 08-22-20, 01:04 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Am I really the only one in here that would get the bike custom painted with my name in big letters and my face on the stem plate?
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 08-22-20, 05:13 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
No SRAM.

That has nothing to do with vanity and everything to do with a crappy product.
Old 08-22-20, 05:15 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
I usually build my bikes from a frameset, so I get exactly the build I want.
The most correctest answer.
Old 08-22-20, 05:38 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR

Say your bike was stolen and you have none. The only bikes you can get are the 3 I listed... pick and why?

Thread didn't turn out quite the way you wanted?
Old 08-22-20, 05:49 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Thread didn't turn out quite the way you wanted?
Its the interweb, they never do.

I got what I expected
Old 08-22-20, 06:27 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Its the interweb, they never do.

I got what I expected
Part of the problem is your question assumes tradeoffs that don't exist and people, including me, will not pick a bad option without being literally forced. If my bikes were stolen, I wouldn't be buying one of these three bad options that are allegedly similar to my "dream" bike at presumably-inflated prices or at least dream-bike retail prices; I'd buy a junker to hold me over and maybe serve as a backup later on as I rebuild. And I don't want to hear that the only bikes available in my town are three dream-level bikes that I don't like; at no point was that the case here and I'd sooner order a Quintana Roo SRfive (painted in the USA to order and assembled with your choice of groupset), and TPC has had options throughout. It's a false question which can only elide a false conclusion.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 08-22-20, 07:06 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
^^^ And there is also the erroneous assumption that picking SRAM Red/Force/Dura Ace/Ultegra is a matter of performance and not subjective preference (just like color) .
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 08-22-20, 07:38 AM
BHG6

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 73 Posts
Don’t think I’ve ever met a cyclist who wasn’t vain.

Either they want the latest and greatest so they look like they know wtf they’re doing or, they really know wtf they’re doing but, they ride old crap with toe clips so they don’t give themselves away. It’s vanity all the same....

As to the original question, I’d go with the Ultegra Di2 even if the bike was pink with white bunnies.

I resisted Di2 for so long.....and then I won my brand new Di2 only BMC frameset on e-bay for $400 shipped to my door.

I was hooked after the first ride. My first thought when I climbed off the bike was “I’m a f&$@/(:g dumbass....”.

Di2 is that good.......
Old 08-22-20, 07:51 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by BHG6
Don’t think I’ve ever met a cyclist who wasn’t vain.
Vanity... definitely my favorite sin.

Basically everyone is vain. Whether they want to show their fine taste, or wealth, or restraint, or their carefully-curated rejection of popular trends, everyone wants to project an image. It's almost impossible to find someone who truly doesn't care.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 08-22-20, 07:56 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
It's almost impossible to find someone who truly doesn't care.
Well, there's that one lady with the coat....
Old 08-22-20, 08:16 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts

As a retired plumber it is all about the mechanics. It has to work as advertised and it has to last. The color is last on the list for me but still somewhat important. If I was faced with the OP's original posted issue and was going to pick one I would go with the best groupset and deal with the color. In the real world, I would order my bike in the exact color and mechanicals I wanted and ride it. As a side note color has never been that important to me as I am red/green and pastel color blind so function has always been my priority. This has been in my decision on audio equipment, photography equipment, tools, they have to do the job and everything else comes in a distant second. I do love red, at least the way I see it in my deficient eyes.
Frank.
Old 08-22-20, 08:36 AM
BHG6

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 73 Posts
Vanity... definitely my favorite sin.
"Your appearance now is what we call residual self image. It is the mental projection of your digital self."
Likes For BHG6:
Old 08-22-20, 08:42 AM
mackgoo

Bikes: 87 Bianchi X4, 95 Bianchi Ti Mega Tube, 06 Alan Carbon Cross X33, Gold plated Columbus AIR Guerciotti, 74 Galmozzi Super Competizione, 52 Bianchi Paris Roubaix.

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 166 Posts
This topic is to discuss how vanity and aesthetics affect our purchase decisions. This was a glaring issue in the Di2 vs AXS when it came to the size of the external batteries.

Most people seem to have deep seated feelings for one groupset manufacture over another. For an example i'll use Shimano and Sram, we all know Campy owners are fanatical.

You finally have the money to buy your dream bike and with the current shortages, your LBS called and they have it in your favorite color and size. You always wanted a red bike and hate blue. You get there any there it is, perfect color, deep carbon wheels, electronic groupset.. perfect. Except it has Sram Red on it and you wanted Dura Ace. You tell the salesperson your disappointment but they say "we also have one with Dura Ace". Same exact bike, same wheels, bars, saddle and it has Dura Ace Di2... except it's blue. So you tell the salesperson that you hate blue. They tell you they have a 3rd bike, exact same as the first but with Ultegra Di2.

So.. which do you buy? The color you want that has a different top tier groupset, the color you hate with the groupset you want or the color you want with a lower level groupset.

Does the aesthetics matter over equipment?

Do you ride with a saddle bag or put everything in your jersey pocket because it looks better.... or you do it because its' more convenient?
Does your kit match your bike? Do you wear teak kit and would you ever wear mismatched jersey and bibs because that's all that's clean?
Do you look at the storefronts to see your reflection when riding through a business district?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To me aesthetics does count but it's below function.

Yes, my bike is satin black with red accents and Sram Red is black with red as is the Zipp wheels, but the satin black was to minimize the loudness of my previous bike. I had Sram Rival on it and was sticking with Sram and the Zipp wheels had an option for the decals.... so why not.

I only own black bibs since they go with everything and none of my jerseys were picked to match the bike, but the LBS that I bought it from gave me one and their colors are red and black... just worked out.

So... be honest.
None are viable options. My name is Bruce and I'm a Campyholic and the only viable color is Celeste.
Likes For mackgoo:
Old 08-22-20, 09:09 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
As times goes on I have come to realize I am at best a Tiagra level recreational cyclist and do Not deserve better in my cycling life.

Black Bibs with any jersey with blue in it will do.
I sincerely disagree.

You deserve whatever you're heart desires. There's no need to "earn" or "be worthy" of a nice bike/equipment that you paid for with your own, hard earned money. In some cases, having exactly what you want and being pleased to use it can help increase your enjoyment, fitness levels and overall sense of well being. We only get one shot here; ride the bike you really want and if someone tries to drop that "deserving" load of crap on you, realize that they're the one with a weakness.
Likes For nomadmax:
Old 08-22-20, 03:50 PM
Noctilux.95

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4 Celeste, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Giant TCR SL, Giant Revolt Advanced Revolt 0 Gravel Bike, Trek Madone SLR, Cervelo R5 Disk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 65 Posts
I’m vain and love pretty bikes.

Likes For Noctilux.95:
Old 08-22-20, 04:05 PM
rousseau

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
I usually build my bikes from a frameset, so I get exactly the build I want.
This. I can't imagine ever buying a complete bike off the shelf.
Old 08-22-20, 04:52 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
So.. which do you buy? The color you want that has a different top tier groupset, the color you hate with the groupset you want or the color you want with a lower level groupset.
"If you move the Dura-Ace groupset to the red frame you have a sale."

Edit: I don't think it's vanity really. When the right frame and groupset is available it's not that hard to accommodate subjective preferences. If the bike I wanted with a preference for red was only available in blue, with red completely unavailable, I'd buy the blue one. But since a frame is available... do it!
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Old 08-22-20, 10:16 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by Noctilux.95
I’m vain and love pretty bikes.

Just for my information, can you identify the bikes from left to right? Thank you. Marvelous collection by the way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.