Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Advice On New Tire

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Advice On New Tire

Old 08-23-20, 12:16 PM
The Big Wheel
Oooooooofffff SALESMAN!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Advice On New Tire

I've been biking for over 20 years and finally got my first flat due to a nail puncture. The nail went all the way through tire, tube, and made a small dent in the rim.

My bike is a Trek FX1 and has H2 Bontrager 700 x 35c tires on it. I went to Amazon but they don't carry it. Bontrager is a Trek brand so they only sell it at bike shops that carry Trek, which makes no sense to me. It's 90 degrees out and with COVID I'm not going into any bike shop or calling them up when I can place an order on Amazon in like 5 seconds and have it delivered.

So anyways, what brand and make of tire do you guys recommend I get? I'm looking to stay with a 700x35c size.

Also, what the best way to fix the small hole in the rim? Fill it with super glue?

Old 08-23-20, 12:22 PM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by The Big Wheel
I've been biking for over 20 years and finally got my first flat due to a nail puncture. The nail went all the way through tire, tube, and made a small dent in the rim.

My bike is a Trek FX1 and has H2 Bontrager 700 x 35c tires on it. I went to Amazon but they don't carry it. Bontrager is a Trek brand so they only sell it at bike shops that carry Trek, which makes no sense to me. It's 90 degrees out and with COVID I'm not going into any bike shop or calling them up when I can place an order on Amazon in like 5 seconds and have it delivered.

So anyways, what brand and make of tire do you guys recommend I get? I'm looking to stay with a 700x35c size.

Also, what the best way to fix the small hole in the rim? Fill it with super glue?

What are your priorities? Puncture resistance, suppleness, speed, longevity? In any event BikeTiresDirect ships the fastest. Here are your choices.

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/sear...74&brnd=&fcat=

Last edited by Mulberry20; 08-23-20 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-23-20, 01:26 PM
The Big Wheel
Oooooooofffff SALESMAN!

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mulberry20
What are your priorities? Puncture resistance, suppleness, speed, longevity? In any event BikeTiresDirect ships the fastest. Here are your choices.

I use my bike to commute to work mostly, 6 miles each way. I'm looking for a tire that has speed and comfort. Basically like the tire I had before it got punctured.
Old 08-23-20, 03:27 PM
Mulberry20

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Go to the PanaracerUSA website and see what’s there.
Old 08-23-20, 06:38 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Wow, thats a nasty puncture ! I have had a lot of flats riding in our area and use Continental Gator Skins for their puncture resistance. Doesn't sound like you normally have a flat problem. There are some very good tires out there to select from. Contiinental 5000's are a great tire and have a sweet ride. As far as the small hole in valley of the rim, I would use something a little more substantial than super glue. I would consider using some silicone sealer/adhesive. It will fill the void and be flexible after it has cured.
Old 08-23-20, 09:03 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Is this the tire?

https://www.trekbicyclesuperstore.co...c-366687-1.htm

Otto
Old 08-24-20, 01:48 PM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
I've used Panaracer Paselas on a commuter...they are on Amazon in the 700x35 size for $42, the Panaracer T-Serve (more anti flat protection), $43. The Pasela is a little nicer ride, but they'd both shave a half pound of weight off the stock Bontrager tire you were using.
Old 08-24-20, 02:00 PM
MFallon

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Funny -- I had almost the identical thing happen yesterday. Granted, I haven't had my tire off to inspect for damage yet as it happened 100 yards from my house.

Maybe a little JB Weld on the rim?
Old 08-25-20, 03:54 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
The Schwalbe Marathon line of tires has a lot of tread options - that line of tires is a good balance between durability and speed/low rolling resistance. You can find them on sale at various times, not cheap at list price.

If you want a lower price point and less focus on lower resistance, I had a hybrid bike with Continental Contact Plus tires that lasted forever on a wide mix of commuting, road and gravel use.
Old 08-25-20, 05:21 AM
Univega

Bikes: Univega Modo Volare (2001)

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Is this it? https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...fltr=3755+3774

I would not have posted. But the Trek site say "This item is currently not available."

These were the tires the site had in your size:

Old 08-27-20, 01:20 PM
The Big Wheel
Oooooooofffff SALESMAN!

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
All of the Bontrager H2 Hard-Case Lite Hybrid Tires 700 x 35s are out of stock everywhere. My guy at the local Trek store said they have been waiting months for them! What are the pros/cons of running a 700x32 in rear instead of 700x35 and would you recommend it? I have the 700x35 up front.
Old 08-27-20, 02:31 PM
BoraxKid

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
REI has the Bontrager H2 Hard-Case whateverthehell:

https://www.rei.com/product/182243/b...te-hybrid-tire
Old 08-27-20, 11:50 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Aside from the hole what’s wrong with the tire? One of your photos looks like the tread is cracked but it’s not totally clear. Why can’t you just patch the tube?

Every major tire brand has a commuter tire this size. Marathons are good.

check the rim for a burr that might scratch a tube and file if needed, then just put a bit of tape on it.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 08-27-20 at 11:54 PM.
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 08-28-20, 02:10 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Twenty years and your first puncture is due to a rather major nail! That's remarkable.

My tire test is to replace the tube, inflate it to operating pressure and feel the area of the tire that was punctured. If it feels like the rest of the tire you're good to go. If you want to stick something over the inside of the hole, I'd be good with that but I doubt it's necessary in this case. If you can feel a raised blister over the hole, you've cut some of the tire casing fibers and I'd replace it.

Your tire looks like it's about ready to be replaced anyway so that's what I would do. I doubt you're going to find an exact replacement. Depending on how hard you research bike tires, manufacturers tend to have offerings with various degrees of puncture resistance. More puncture resistant tires tend to be a little bit harder ridding but usually last longer. With your puncture experience, I wouldn't worry too much.
Old 08-31-20, 05:22 PM
IGH_Only

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
There is a decent sale going on at Chain Reaction Cycles. You can get some Schwalbe Marathon Plus puncture resistant tires for 58% off at $21.46 until 9/3. I think you can also add a 10% promo off of that. But you have to pay for shipping ($15.99) from UK. I'd post a link but apparently this site doesn't allow newbies to do that.
Old 09-02-20, 07:48 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 392 Times in 232 Posts
Tires and tubes are really hard to find. You might try:

Biketires direct. They have lots of odd sizes and are very helpful if you need advice.

Excel Sports. Fast service, great prices.

REI. I needed a tube for my nephew's kid bike and they were the only ones that had any. Not the first store that comes to mind, but online order and curbside pickup.
Old 09-02-20, 08:45 AM
C.corri

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
On my FX3 I have been running continental 5000. Running thicker tubes has been working out good in regards to not having flats. They ride much better than the gator skins that I was previously using.
Old 09-02-20, 11:03 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Aside from the hole what’s wrong with the tire? One of your photos looks like the tread is cracked but it’s not totally clear. Why can’t you just patch the tube?

Every major tire brand has a commuter tire this size. Marathons are good.

check the rim for a burr that might scratch a tube and file if needed, then just put a bit of tape on it.
That's what I was thinking... that doesn't look like fatal damage. I'd just patch the tube, put a patch over the hole inside the tire, and fill in the divot it made in the wheel, then put it all back together and run it again. Hitting a nail that big and having it do that is pretty much a once-in-a-lifetime occurrence.
Old 09-03-20, 07:04 PM
The Big Wheel
Oooooooofffff SALESMAN!

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
My Bontrager H2 Hard-Case Lite Hybrid Tire came in today, took it straight to my local bike shop that's like half a mile from my house.

Get this, they are all out of 700x35 tubes LOL. Of course they are. I guess the tube factories are closed down.