Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Fair Price Madone 5.5?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Fair Price Madone 5.5?

Old 08-28-20, 07:49 AM
Sorg67

Bikes: 1991 Diamondback Apex, 2015 Trek Verve 3, 2020 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 58 Posts
Fair Price Madone 5.5?

This bike is for sale near me:

https://orlando.craigslist.org/bik/d...183555194.html

It is not exactly what I am looking for, but might give me an opportunity to get a few miles on a road bike and help me make a better choice of a bike that suits me better.

What do you think is a fair price? I have looked at online bike valuation services that have it anywhere from less than $200 to $900. $1,525 seems high to me.

I think it is a 2008. How much risk do I take riding a 12 year old carbon frame. I have heard stories of spectacular frame failures of carbon frame bikes.

How much has carbon frame technology changed since 2008?

I think I would be between a 54 and 56 cm frame. I think this would be close enough to get some experience.

The picture looks like it has some spacers to raise the handlebars.
Old 08-28-20, 08:05 AM
bigd777

Bikes: Trek 6.9 Madone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 20 Posts
Nice bike I had 5.2 Madone now I have a 2011 6.9 Madone love it. how tall are you I'm 5'11 I ride 56 cm make sure it fit you . I think the carbon fiber frame is fine
Old 08-28-20, 08:53 AM
tsmith41094

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad CF SLX Disc, Trek Madone SLR, Canyon Ultimate CF SLX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Sold mine back in late-2018 for $1,250 (needed something a little bigger) and felt it was a pretty good price. Looks to be a similar build with Dura Ace groupset, etc. (not sure about their bar/stem combo though). The condition of my components were about as close to new as you could get considering their age, and there were only a few visible paint imperfections around the chainstays.

Personally, I think their price is a little high. Looking through the pictures, the bike looks to be in very good shape but it definitely isn't mint (a little wear on the paint, some nicks/rust marks on the brakes, etc.). Nothing major though, especially considering it's a 2008. Know they are throwing in a couple extras (computer, light, bag, etc.) but those really don't look to be worth much. Would also be curious to know how the bike was stored (looks like they have a few other bikes sitting outside in the background, pretty hot & humid in FL)

All that being said, it was a terrific bike. Frame was rock solid and really had no issues in the several years I owned it. Truly felt it could hold it's own against bikes 5-10 years newer. Was almost a little painful letting it go. If you can get it for a decent price, I'd say its a no-brainer.
Old 08-28-20, 09:01 AM
Sorg67

Bikes: 1991 Diamondback Apex, 2015 Trek Verve 3, 2020 Specialized Diverge

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by bigd777
Nice bike I had 5.2 Madone now I have a 2011 6.9 Madone love it. how tall are you I'm 5'11 I ride 56 cm make sure it fit you . I think the carbon fiber frame is fine
I am 5'10" 33" inseam. I think 56 cm might be better for me. But I am not looking at this as a long term bike. I am looking at it as a way to get some road bike experience before I spend $3K on a new bike. Leaning toward a Roubaix at the moment. But my experience is mostly with MTB and hybrids. Road bikes are a new thing for me.
Old 08-28-20, 10:16 AM
BoraxKid

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Sorg67
This bike is for sale near me:

https://orlando.craigslist.org/bik/d...183555194.html

It is not exactly what I am looking for, but might give me an opportunity to get a few miles on a road bike and help me make a better choice of a bike that suits me better.

What do you think is a fair price? I have looked at online bike valuation services that have it anywhere from less than $200 to $900. $1,525 seems high to me.

I think it is a 2008. How much risk do I take riding a 12 year old carbon frame. I have heard stories of spectacular frame failures of carbon frame bikes.

How much has carbon frame technology changed since 2008?

I think I would be between a 54 and 56 cm frame. I think this would be close enough to get some experience.

The picture looks like it has some spacers to raise the handlebars.
The ad claims "Dura Ace components" but the pictures clearly show Bontrager cranks. Upon closer inspection, it looks like the only DA components you can see on the bike are the brakes. That strikes me as some used-car salesman nonsense. If the seller is so willing to be dishonest about something so obvious, what else are they over-selling about the bike? I wouldn't take the risk.
Likes For BoraxKid:
Old 08-28-20, 11:42 AM
Mulberry20

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by Sorg67
I am 5'10" 33" inseam. I think 56 cm might be better for me. But I am not looking at this as a long term bike. I am looking at it as a way to get some road bike experience before I spend $3K on a new bike. Leaning toward a Roubaix at the moment. But my experience is mostly with MTB and hybrids. Road bikes are a new thing for me.
Interesting logic 🤪
Likes For Mulberry20:
Old 08-28-20, 07:25 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
The price is irrelevant as the bike is too small for you anyway. Your height and inseam steers you into the 56 size. It looks like it was too small even for the original owner. Too many spacers under the stem, seat at probably max and high angle stem. That is a lot of money for an old ten speed. Find something else.
Likes For blakcloud:
Old 08-28-20, 09:59 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
The price seems a bit high to me. Dura Ace is nice, but it's probably two generations old. Based on sold listings on the 'Bay, it looks like a fair market price is probably ~$1,100.

IMO, that's still too high for an older carbon bike. But, prices are likely a bit inflated at the moment.

Technology on the frame is probably fine. One thing to keep in mind is that newer road frames tend to have more clearance for wider tires - like 700x28, sometimes even 32.
Likes For wipekitty:
Old 08-29-20, 11:08 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Mid Pandemic people don't want to use public transportation to keep a greater distance from other people,

so Bike prices show it's a seller's market..
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 08-29-20, 05:13 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
I am skeptical of carbon in the used market. My friend's carbon steerer tube just snapped of a few days ago. Wasn't hurt, but it was a hellava shock. Couldn't figure out why is cracked off because the bike is in excellent condition and is only 5 years old. Then he tells me of a crash he had a year and a half ago...went for a nice tumble down the road. Bike displayed no signs of any damage and had ridden fine for 18 months. The point is, you have no clue as to what events a used machine has experienced, and it ain't worth the risk to find out one of the experiences was a bad one.
Likes For TiHabanero: