Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Old 09-14-20, 09:31 AM
carfreefamily

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Johno59
Grease may have got to the pawl springs and they are not engaging the planet ring gear consistently. Squirt some WD 40 down the filler hole and see if the noise lessens. If there is an improvement, put a tablespoon of correct oil back in and plan to disassemble the hub(this can be down with the hub still in the wheel) and give everything a thorough clean and/or change the pawl springs.
The Internet has heaps of good videos demonstrating how do do this easily and correctly.
Thanks for the insight. I rebuilt the hub about a year and half ago, but I'll take it apart again when I have time - I've run out of other options.
Old 09-15-20, 03:53 AM
Johno59

Bikes: 1903 24 spd Sunbeam, 1927 Humber, 3 1930 Raleighs, 2 1940s Sunbeams, 2 1940s Raleighs, Rudge, 1950s Robin Hood, 1958 Claud Butler, 2 1973 Colnago Supers, Eddie Merckx, 2 1980 Holdsworth, EG Bates funny TT bike, another 6 or so 1990s bikes

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 185 Posts
Grease the cage bearings only.

The only grease necessary is on the caged ball bearings. The inner gears, springs, shafts, driver and clutch don't function properly if grease gets on them. So less is more where grease is required. Under no circumstances put heavy oil or grease down the filler hole.
Old 09-16-20, 07:54 PM
gster

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 438 Times in 287 Posts
Originally Posted by PeterLYoung
: UPDATE, I have sent the frame to Bob Jackson for re enamelling with a set of transfers to be fixed and clear coated, awaiting its return.
At the same time I managed to acquire a pair of Dunlop Lightweight 26" X 1 1/4" Rims NOS and still in factory wrapping, the front rim is the stainless version and the rear is chromed version, would have been nice to find both in either chrome or stainless but these rims are as rare as hens teeth in this condition and unfortunately the originals had too much wear and damage to be re used. The wheels have been rebuilt with Stainless double butted spokes and the 3 Speed rebuilt back to an AM (it had an AW fitted into the original shell due to a failure many years back). I also was informed by my local bike shop that Schwalbe have now ceased manufacturing 26' x 1 1/4" tyres and I do not know of anyone else making them, looking online there seem to be very few to be had so getting replacement tyres in the future for these wheels is likely to be difficult.

I will update when the frame arrives back from Bob Jackson, apparently they are so busy they are refusing new orders for frame refurbishments at present. I guess during UK lockdown everyone has been digging out their frames for refinishing!!!

Today Bob Jackson contacted me to say Frame is ready, I should receive it Thursday 17th Sep.

Here are Restored Wheels photos:-

Rear Wheel with Chromed Dunlop Lightweight rim + rebuilt AM 3 Speed hub with all new bearings. Fitted new Schwalbe 26" X 1 1/4" tyre.

Front Wheel with Stainless Dunlop Lightweight rim, hub overhauled with new bearings. Fitted new Schwalbe 26" X 1 1/4" tyre.
You always seem to find good NOS parts. I guess you're closer to the source.
gster
Likes For gster:
Old 09-16-20, 10:18 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
Originally Posted by Johno59
The only grease necessary is on the caged ball bearings. The inner gears, springs, shafts, driver and clutch don't function properly if grease gets on them. So less is more where grease is required. Under no circumstances put heavy oil or grease down the filler hole.
Correct - with exception to "00" grade grease - and only "00" grade. This is the stuff used in the current Sturmey hubs, and it's unbelievable. Smooth as silk, quiet as a whisper.

The hub must be opened up and cleaned of all other fluids if one does this though. No other way. But if someone has put the wrong thing down the filler hole...might be required anyway.

-Kurt

Old 09-17-20, 01:53 AM
PeterLYoung 

Location: Southport, North Carolina, USA & Pevensey, East Sussex, UK

Bikes: 1)1992 Trek 970, 2)2010 Trek 6500, 3)1973 Colnago Super, 4)1955 Freddie Grubb Meteor. 5)1993 Airborne Ti-Hag Titanium. 6)1936 BSA 602DX Roadster. 7)1957 Philips P2 Sports. 8)1955 Dayton Roadmaster. 9)1948 Humber Clubman. 10) 1949 Sunbeam WA3 Wayfarer

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by gster
You always seem to find good NOS parts. I guess you're closer to the source.
gster
After WW2 new bikes were hard to obtain in UK and I believe somewhere around 80% to 90% were exported to earn foreign income so given that sports/racing/clubman bikes would have been mostly exported to USA and other countries you would think there would be plentiful NOS parts out there. Maybe family run bike shops did not survive as long in those locations so their stocks were dispersed/scrapped long ago, whereas here there were plenty of them still around here into the 80's and 90's, nowadays a lot of these family shops are finally closing down and there is a lot of interest now in restoring/saving old bikes. I think that is one possible reason these obsolete parts are surfacing in UK. Having said that I also do source such parts occasionally from USA and Canada. the handlebars and pinch bolt stem for this Humber came from a guy in Canada. The Dunlop Lightweight Rims ceased manufacture around mid 1950's when 27" appeared. These were an incredible lucky find for me, I was looking for over a year and when I visited bike jumbles enquiring after them I found many of the other people were also looking for them. These were separate offers a few weeks apart on eBay.

Last edited by PeterLYoung; 09-17-20 at 01:54 AM. Reason: correction
Old 09-17-20, 05:55 AM
gster

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

After WW2 new bikes were hard to obtain in UK and I believe somewhere around 80% to 90% were exported to earn foreign income so given that sports/racing/clubman bikes would have been mostly exported to USA and other countries you would think there would be plentiful NOS parts out there. Maybe family run bike shops did not survive as long in those locations so their stocks were dispersed/scrapped long ago, whereas here there were plenty of them still around here into the 80's and 90's, nowadays a lot of these family shops are finally closing down and there is a lot of interest now in restoring/saving old bikes. I think that is one possible reason these obsolete parts are surfacing in UK. Having said that I also do source such parts occasionally from USA and Canada. the handlebars and pinch bolt stem for this Humber came from a guy in Canada. The Dunlop Lightweight Rims ceased manufacture around mid 1950's when 27" appeared. These were an incredible lucky find for me, I was looking for over a year and when I visited bike jumbles enquiring after them I found many of the other people were also looking for them. These were separate offers a few weeks apart on eBay.
Kenda K023 tires fit nicely and have a simple ribbed tread.
Likes For gster:
Old 09-17-20, 10:06 AM
PeterLYoung 

Bikes: 1)1992 Trek 970, 2)2010 Trek 6500, 3)1973 Colnago Super, 4)1955 Freddie Grubb Meteor. 5)1993 Airborne Ti-Hag Titanium. 6)1936 BSA 602DX Roadster. 7)1957 Philips P2 Sports. 8)1955 Dayton Roadmaster. 9)1948 Humber Clubman. 10) 1949 Sunbeam WA3 Wayfarer

: UPDATE, I have sent the frame to Bob Jackson for re enamelling with a set of transfers to be fixed and clear coated, awaiting its return.
At the same time I managed to acquire a pair of Dunlop Lightweight 26" X 1 1/4" Rims NOS and still in factory wrapping, the front rim is the stainless version and the rear is chromed version, would have been nice to find both in either chrome or stainless but these rims are as rare as hens teeth in this condition and unfortunately the originals had too much wear and damage to be re used. The wheels have been rebuilt with Stainless double butted spokes and the 3 Speed rebuilt back to an AM (it had an AW fitted into the original shell due to a failure many years back). I also was informed by my local bike shop that Schwalbe have now ceased manufacturing 26' x 1 1/4" tyres and I do not know of anyone else making them, looking online there seem to be very few to be had so getting replacement tyres in the future for these wheels is likely to be difficult.

I will update when the frame arrives back from Bob Jackson, apparently they are so busy they are refusing new orders for frame refurbishments at present. I guess during UK lockdown everyone has been digging out their frames for refinishing!!!

Today Bob Jackson contacted me to say Frame is ready, I should receive it Thursday 17th Sep.
: Frame came back today from Bob Jackson, It is looking good and I have refitted Headset, Head Badge, Bottom Bracket, Saddle and Wheels. A lot more work to do but it is exciting seeing it go back together, here are some Photos:-

Preliminary Assembly.

View showing Seat Tube Transfer.

View showing Down Tube Transfer.

Handlebars with Pinchbolt Stem & Clamp. Bars are Female Version, I do Have Male Version, will decide which looks best later.

Head Badge.

Frame Number remains visible

Likes For PeterLYoung:
Old 09-17-20, 02:29 PM
Salubrious

Bikes: Too many 3-speeds, Jones Plus LWB

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 115 Posts
Sweet
Likes For Salubrious:
Old 09-17-20, 03:22 PM
PeterLYoung 

Originally Posted by gster
Kenda K023 tires fit nicely and have a simple ribbed tread.
Are they 32-597? which is the tyre size for my 26" x 1 1/4" Rims This bike is beautiful, lovely restoration. Love that twin tube fork design!!!

Old 09-18-20, 07:04 AM
JIMBO53

Bikes: 71 and 75 Raleigh Tourists

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Iron Horse
Found this on Craigslist Friday. Bought it on Saturday. He was irritated because the fellow who had replied before me was a no call, no show, so he offered it to me for $100. He was asking $150. He said he didn't think the handlebars were original, and he had a ridable replica seat on it when I got it. I replaced the seat with a cheapie I had in the basement, and tightened a few loose bolts. I've taken it for a few short rides. Bearings feel a bit on the dry side, so an overhaul is in the works. The handlebars say Hercules and are extremely narrow. Also the pitch is low and my knees hit the handlebars in a mild turn, but there appears to be no way to adjust them, so my knees are everywhere riding around town. Tires are 28 x 1 1/2 by Kenda. I plan on replacing them soon. The rear brakes seem wrong for this bike, but I can find no fittings anywhere that would indicate this bike ever had rod brakes for the rear. Anybody have any ideas on this bikes id and or a history?

That's quite an interesting bike.Obviously of German origin, but rod brake/caliper brake combo is something I have not seen before. Rod brakes do poorly on regular rims and caliper brakes do poorly on rims to be used with rod brakes, bur rims look like those used with rod brakes, and the 28" wheels are consistent with rod brake bikes in my limited experience. Front rod brakes can be retrofitted rather easily since their stanchions are bolted to the forks. The rear rod brakes need frame mounted pivot points, much harder to retrofit. Pedals are newer as is rear brake cable hanger, but 3 speed freewheel/derailleur and Huret shifter look 50's-60's. Bottom bracket looks to be of the cartridge variety-could that be right? I would be interested to know what other history you find out about this.
Old 09-18-20, 09:20 AM
JIMBO53

Bikes: 71 and 75 Raleigh Tourists

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Iron Horse
Found this on Craigslist Friday. Bought it on Saturday. He was irritated because the fellow who had replied before me was a no call, no show, so he offered it to me for $100. He was asking $150. He said he didn't think the handlebars were original, and he had a ridable replica seat on it when I got it. I replaced the seat with a cheapie I had in the basement, and tightened a few loose bolts. I've taken it for a few short rides. Bearings feel a bit on the dry side, so an overhaul is in the works. The handlebars say Hercules and are extremely narrow. Also the pitch is low and my knees hit the handlebars in a mild turn, but there appears to be no way to adjust them, so my knees are everywhere riding around town. Tires are 28 x 1 1/2 by Kenda. I plan on replacing them soon. The rear brakes seem wrong for this bike, but I can find no fittings anywhere that would indicate this bike ever had rod brakes for the rear. Anybody have any ideas on this bikes id and or a history?

That's quite an interesting bike.Obviously of German origin, but rod brake/caliper brake combo is something I have not seen before. Rod brakes do poorly on regular rims and caliper brakes do poorly on rims to be used with rod brakes, bur rims look like those used with rod brakes, and the 28" wheels are consistent with rod brake bikes in my limited experience. Front rod brakes can be retrofitted rather easily since their stanchions are bolted to the forks. The rear rod brakes need frame mounted pivot points, much harder to retrofit. Pedals are newer as is rear brake cable hanger, but 3 speed freewheel/derailleur and Huret shifter look 50's-60's. Bottom bracket looks to be of the cartridge variety-could that be right? I would be interested to know what other history you find out about this.
Old 09-18-20, 10:13 AM
carfreefamily

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
Noise Problem Solved!

I figured out the source of the clonky, thwacky noise on my 1952 Superbe Sport Tourist. I had only been checking the bottom bracket by pulling on the cranks to see if there was play. I decided this morning, that, in spite of there not feeling like there was any play, I would readjust the bottom bracket bearing. When I went to loosen the lock ring, I found it was already very loose. I tightened up the lock ring and the noise disappeared. What a relief. I didn't want to tear the hub down again.

It was actually a good thing, because I found a lot of other things that had loosened up in the year and a half I've been riding the bike. The little bolts holding the section of the chainguard underneath the rear cog were especially loose, but everything I tightened up needed it.
Old 09-18-20, 02:27 PM
gster

Are they 32-597? which is the tyre size for my 26" x 1 1/4" Rims This bike is beautiful, lovely restoration. Love that twin tube fork design!!!
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tyres/ke...h-32597-black/
Old 09-18-20, 03:17 PM
PeterLYoung 

Hi gster: You will see they are out of stock on that tyre ( which may indicate 'no longer available') I use SJS a lot for bike parts but they do have 350 32- 597 Schwalbe Tyres in stock but every where else I look on the web they seem to be out of stock/not available. My local Bike Shop tells me production of 597 tyres by Schwalbe has stopped and I bought the last ones they had. I guess time will tell if they come back. There will be a few places who might have remaining stock, maybe.
Found these on Amazon from 'BankruptBikeParts' I actually have 4 of these tyres plus 8 of the schwalbes so I won't be shopping for this size tyre for a long time.

Ammaco. PAIR 26 x 1 1/4 WHITEWALL TYRES WITH RIBBED TREAD FOR 1950's,60's,70's,80's,90's RACING BIKES,RARE HARD TO FIND

Old 09-18-20, 03:44 PM
gster

Hi gster: You will see they are out of stock on that tyre ( which may indicate 'no longer available') I use SJS a lot for bike parts but they do have 350 32- 597 Schwalbe Tyres in stock but every where else I look on the web they seem to be out of stock/not available. My local Bike Shop tells me production of 597 tyres by Schwalbe has stopped and I bought the last ones they had. I guess time will tell if they come back. There will be a few places who might have remaining stock, maybe.
Found these on Amazon from 'BankruptBikeParts' I actually have 4 of these tyres plus 8 of the schwalbes so I won't be shopping for this size tyre for a long time.

Ammaco. PAIR 26 x 1 1/4 WHITEWALL TYRES WITH RIBBED TREAD FOR 1950's,60's,70's,80's,90's RACING BIKES,RARE HARD TO FIND

I bought 6 of them last fall from Amazon and well priced at $22.00 approx.
Likes For gster:
Old 09-19-20, 09:59 AM
Rherdegen

Bikes: 50 and 51 Raleigh Superbe Sports Tourist, 53 Hercules King Coronation Celebration, 55? Automoto roadster, 68 Raleigh Sports, 76 Zebrakenko Wind, 80 Raleigh Tourist, 82 Trek 720, 87 MCycle custom, 90 Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by BigChief
A question about 1950s Raleigh handlebar grips. They seem to be very rare. For some reason they didn't seem to survive long. Even bikes like this beautiful late 50s short frame Sports where everything else down to the cable housings looks original, the grips got changed at some point. These appear to be the usual American made Hunt Wilde grips that were for sale at places like Western Auto back in the 60s. It's hard to see much detail in old catalog scans. If anybody here has any old originals, I would like to ask if you would take the time to post some close up picks of them for me. Thanks, BC

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RALEIGH-Spo...sAAOSw37BagEy2
I am, once again, late to a thread. But I started a refurbishment of my ‘51 Superbe in past couple of months and only now am getting immersed in Raleigh culture. I have the original handgrips—pictured below—which are pretty tired...worn and dry-rotted, but still intact. I didn’t find any other photos of original grips in the thread, so I hope that this helps even if it is late. For that matter, I don’t think I’ve seen any closeup photos anywhere of the original grips from early ‘50’s. And certainly it seems impossible to find authentic-looking replacements. So, I have a choice of either going with these (pretty well worn, and using them will accelerate their demise, though they may look cool on this refurb with all typical signs of wear and tear), or to go with something that is not period correct or original like the “bullet” grips (which would be more functional but not really look right). Dilemma.

Anyway, I hope the photo helps for the record. (And I did show both the top and side/profile views. Also, the angle makes the scale on tape measure look a little off, but the grips are 5” long.)

Old 09-19-20, 11:07 AM
Ged117 

Bikes: 1951 Sun Wasp, 1953 Armstrong Consort, 1975 Raleigh Competition, 1980 Apollo Gran Sport, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur, Mystery MTB

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Rherdegen
I am, once again, late to a thread. But I started a refurbishment of my ‘51 Superbe in past couple of months and only now am getting immersed in Raleigh culture. I have the original handgrips—pictured below—which are pretty tired...worn and dry-rotted, but still intact. I didn’t find any other photos of original grips in the thread, so I hope that this helps even if it is late. For that matter, I don’t think I’ve seen any closeup photos anywhere of the original grips from early ‘50’s. And certainly it seems impossible to find authentic-looking replacements. So, I have a choice of either going with these (pretty well worn, and using them will accelerate their demise, though they may look cool on this refurb with all typical signs of wear and tear), or to go with something that is not period correct or original like the “bullet” grips (which would be more functional but not really look right). Dilemma.

Anyway, I hope the photo helps for the record. (And I did show both the top and side/profile views. Also, the angle makes the scale on tape measure look a little off, but the grips are 5” long.)

These are the same original grips that I have on my '50 Superbe. I can confirm that with use they will deteriorate quickly. Also, the original sought-after Sir Walter kickstands that these era Raleighs came with (and which cost a fortune now on eBay) are not to be trusted. The bike will fall over at the mere suggestion of wind. Such occurrences will add further battle scars to the grips...

I've added real cork grips from Rivendell to my wife's '56 step-through Sports, and they look great with a little shellac. Once the grips on my '50 Superbe are kaput, I'll be adding a pair of these, which are spendy though of nice quality.

https://www.rivbike.com/products/mie...ps-pair-normal
Old 09-19-20, 11:23 AM
Rherdegen

Bikes: 50 and 51 Raleigh Superbe Sports Tourist, 53 Hercules King Coronation Celebration, 55? Automoto roadster, 68 Raleigh Sports, 76 Zebrakenko Wind, 80 Raleigh Tourist, 82 Trek 720, 87 MCycle custom, 90 Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Ged117
These are the same original grips that I have on my '50 Superbe. I can confirm that with use they will deteriorate quickly. Also, the original sought-after Sir Walter kickstands that these era Raleighs came with (and which cost a fortune now on eBay) are not to be trusted. The bike will fall over at the mere suggestion of wind. Such occurrences will add further battle scars to the grips...

I've added real cork grips from Rivendell to my wife's '56 step-through Sports, and they look great with a little shellac. Once the grips on my '50 Superbe are kaput, I'll be adding a pair of these, which are spendy though of nice quality.

https://www.rivbike.com/products/mie...ps-pair-normal
Thanks—that’s useful confirmation of my fears about using 70-year old rubber grips. I have the “bullet” grips to install for now, but will take a close look at the Rivendell cork grips. And also very useful info about the Sir Walt prop stands. I obtained this bike with an old propstand/kickstand that is not the original, attractive (and today very expensive) Sir Walt stand, but sounds as if it might be far more functional. It leads one to the old debate in refurbishment and restoration of whether form trumps function, or vice versa......

Grateful for the feedback and info!
Old 09-19-20, 12:21 PM
bmc5733946 

Bikes: 1974 Paramount White (Campagnolo Record) 1971 Schwinn Super Sport Kool Lemon (single speed) 1975 Viscount Aero Space Pro (Vintage Dura Ace) 1971 Raleigh Superbe (mens) 1974 Raleigh Superbe (ladies)

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Today when I removed the front wheel on my 1971 Raleigh Superbe one of the drop outs dropped out. I debated whether to silver solder which I had the equipment for or wait till I had brass rod and braze. Since I had the silver solder that's what I did. Now I'm wondering about it and if I did right. Any opinions welcome.

Brian

1974 Paramount White (Campagnolo Record, Weinmann)
1975 Viscount Aerospace Pro (Vintage Dura-Ace)
1971 Schwinn Super Sport Kool Lemon (single speed)
1971 Raleigh Superbe (mens)
1974 Raleigh Superbe (ladies)

Last edited by bmc5733946; 09-19-20 at 12:23 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 09-19-20, 06:58 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
My subdivision had a neighborhood wide yard sale today, so Margaret and I did a little moseying around. And I came up with something worthwhile: A 1955 Royal Enfield 3-speed.

Since the fire last November I've gotten the garage rebuilt, redone the interior, assembled a functioning workshop, replaced 80% of my regular tools and about 50% of the bicycle specific ones. As well as bead blasting the collection of crank and freewheel tools that I managed to save from the rubble (plus some other stuff). Completing that side is just a matter of a few more months. What's killed my bike work is the loss of my parts department, limiting me to just maintenance work on the stable while I've been building up a stock of modern maintenance oriented parts. So I've been looking for something reasonably complete to work on and I think I've found it.

Other than a replaced (and wrong) front brake caliper & lever, later replacement handgrips, and the mounting tab on the front fender being snapped off, everything on this bike seems to be original and in decent condition. Asking price was $20.00, which I acquiesced to, quickly. The frame is one size smaller than comfortable for me, although that means Margaret would be able to ride it on the rare occasions she goes out with me on neighborhood rides. Or, I fix it up and take it to Westminster (assuming it happens next Feb) to trade it for something else in a like vintage 3-speed in my frame size. It's in storage in the bike barn for the moment and I'll probably start pulling a few bit and pieces off an refurbishing them starting next month.

Also, a celebration of my new garage door on my new garage, which will be the background for all future shots. It was ordered deliberately without an outside lock, just for this purpose.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Last edited by sykerocker; 09-20-20 at 07:48 AM.
Likes For sykerocker:
Old 09-19-20, 07:22 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Just picked this one up from a local CL ad. Not a 3-speed, but with 590/EA3 wheels. Those plus the prestube minor rear rack makes me wonder if Raleigh just took Sports frames and slapped a different rear wheel and Huret shifting bits on them:

One of these has come up on The CABE recently, as well as a Dunelt version(!?), and I'll admit it's gotten me quite confused.

While I didn't start working at A.R. Adams Cycle in Erie, PA until 1971, I hung around there for the two years before, and it was my caring for the assistant dean of students at Gannon's S-5 Sprite that got me my job at the shop (references always help). The shop would sell a few S-5 Sprites in the late 60's along with a plethora of Sports and a few Superbes, but never had a derailleur model come thru the shop until the 1970's when Raleigh basically gentrified the Record into a commuter bike and transferred the Sprite name to it. Now, whether this was some quirk of regional distribution (like a few other Raleighs I've seen over the years), or just the owner's disinterest in ordering any is beyond me. I really didn't notice them in the catalog back then, and Merle tended to be a very opinionated bike shop owner . . . . being a fervent believe in the Raleigh Tourist, lover of the Sports and hater of drop bar 10-speeds wasn't a prime method of running a bicycle shop in the early 1970's. But he made it work.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 09-20-20, 10:38 AM
PeterLYoung 

Humber Beeston Clubman 1948 Restoration

I have now completed the restoration of this 1948 Humber Beeston Clubman and below are the finished Photos.
I am pleased with how it has turned out and have just written to the original owner who purchased it new in 1948 offering to take to him so he can see how it turned out (I promised to do this when he gave it to me). Can't wait to see his face when he sees it.

Likes For PeterLYoung:
Old 09-20-20, 10:40 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
I have now completed the restoration of this 1948 Humber Beeston Clubman and below are the finished Photos.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 09-20-20, 10:53 AM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 268 Posts

Is that the original paint?!?

The bike looks beautiful!
Likes For jackbombay:
Old 09-20-20, 10:56 AM
PeterLYoung 

Humber Beeston Clubman 1948 Restoration

Originally Posted by jackbombay
Is that the original paint?!?

The bike looks beautiful!
No the paintwork was far too gone with a lot of rust to salvage.

It is the closest I could find to the original Raleigh Metallic Blue from the 1948 Catalogue and a very good match.

It is Metallic Blue RAL 660 - M from their RAL E4 Effect range.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.