Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What size tires do you feel safe riding across steel bridge grates with ?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What size tires do you feel safe riding across steel bridge grates with ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-20, 08:14 PM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
After you get past the bizarre feeling of the tires tracking with the direction of the grates, it's not a big deal. Don't fight it too much, just work to maintain your balance.
Old 09-18-20, 12:02 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
32mm. Would choose between the grates and the sidewalk when on 28mm depending on how many pedestrians were on the sidewalk (the bridge I most frequently cross actually has the bike lane merge onto the sidewalk, despite it being terribly narrow and slow to get across when it's busy). 25mm and under, or if the bridge surface is wet, definitely the sidewalk.
Old 09-18-20, 06:25 AM
prime winner

Bikes: Trek Verve 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ramzilla
I've been going over a similar steel bridge grate down on the South end of Amelia island with 700c x 25mm Continental Gatorskin tires with no problem. One thing I've learned is to install the best vinyl rim tape & heavy duty tubes you can find. Make sure you have good rims, rim tape, tubes &, tires before going out on rough ****. Be good. Have fun.
There's a bridge with a steel grate on Amelia Island? I had no idea.
Old 09-18-20, 07:23 AM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Never had a problem with 700x23 Michelin Pros or 700x23 Vittoria tubulars which which my goto race tires back in the day.
There are a lot of cattle grates out where I live and never had a problem over those either as long as you hit them at a 90’ angle.
Likes For billridesbikes:
Old 09-18-20, 08:05 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
The OP hit an edge without unweighting his rear wheel, and he blew it out. It had nothing to do with steel bridges, per se, but rather had to do with the depth of the square lip over which he rolled heavily.

As for steel bridges, I don't think about flatting. I think about skidding out and crashing when the conditions are slippery. Specifically, rain at about freezing air temperatures or just above. Typically, these bridges aren't warmed by the surrounding land and develop a thin layer of ice earlier than do the adjoining roadways. I have slipped going over a bridge onto my work installation on occasion. A few years back, a co-worker got sloppy with his line and wiped out, smashing an Ultegra brifter while crossing that bridge. Ouch.

Width of tire is largely irrelevant. Riding "weight", technique and understanding of the roadway conditions are paramount.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 09-18-20, 08:22 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,439 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
255/45r20.

Got a picture of the vehicle with those tires?

The only steel grate bridge I remember crossing was in the San Francisco Bay area when I lived there a few decades ago. It was the one connecting Martinez to Benecia where the San Joaquin/Sacramento rivers come into the San Francisco/San Pablo Bay. Pretty unnerving the first times I did it as the distance down to the river is huge (just don't look down!). But as for flats I never had a problem on it and I used either 700x 28-32 tires or 26 x 1.5 on a street-converted mountain bike (from what I recall from those days). Usually had to slow down anyway since the winds coming across the bridge can get quite gusty.
Old 09-18-20, 12:06 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by prime winner
I know the steel grate discussion has been had before, but I'm wondering about a little more specific info...... What size tires do you all feel safe riding across steel grates with?

I've been using a mountain bike for neighborhood fitness rides, and my route always includes crossing a small draw bridge with steel grating, twice. I have to cross this bridge to get to my disired route where I can take many route variations through a nice easy going neighborhood. With the mountain bike tires I cross the grating with no concerns. I do have a hybrid bike on order and the tires are listed as 32c, and Im guessing the tires while slimmer have more beef than a traditional road bike tire. Back in 2014 I crossed this bridge, in the rain, on my CAAD10 road bike and my rear gatorskin tire blew out causing me to have a nasty crash requiring stitches. Trying to avoid having that happen again.
That steel grating on the Bay Farm Island Bridge or others is designed to give tires traction so you take the entire lane and let the bike wander around a bit. I have ridden across it with 23 mm tires on up to 28's. Catching the light correctly, I can completely clear the grating and be on the down-slope of the asphalt and with plenty of room to go around the turn.
Old 09-18-20, 12:18 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Quite a few bridges in Indiana with steel grate decking. I've only had trouble with them once..........we dumped our tandem on its side on a wet bridge at slow speed six years ago. We fell on our sides, too. Minor injuries - we were able to complete the 20 remaining miles of the ride. Don't recall ever riding on wet steel decking before or since. We were gun-shy of those bridges for quite a while afterwards. Walked more than a few dry bridges over the next couple of years. (1.5" tires but I don't think tire size was a factor)
Old 09-18-20, 12:34 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10419 Post(s)
Liked 11,880 Times in 6,086 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder
Got a picture of the vehicle with those tires?

The only steel grate bridge I remember crossing was in the San Francisco Bay area when I lived there a few decades ago. It was the one connecting Martinez to Benecia where the San Joaquin/Sacramento rivers come into the San Francisco/San Pablo Bay. Pretty unnerving the first times I did it as the distance down to the river is huge (just don't look down!). But as for flats I never had a problem on it and I used either 700x 28-32 tires or 26 x 1.5 on a street-converted mountain bike (from what I recall from those days). Usually had to slow down anyway since the winds coming across the bridge can get quite gusty.
This is actually cycling related! My bike is in the trunk, AND down at the end of the line of mountains on the right, you can see the smoke from the CZU Lightning Complex Fires between Santa Cruz and Pescadero. This was early, before the smoke spread all over the Bay Area.

EDIT: I had JUST washed and waxed the car. Two days later, it was covered with a dusting of ash.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles

Last edited by genejockey; 09-18-20 at 12:39 PM.
Likes For genejockey: