Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuter Panniers?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commuter Panniers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-18, 08:01 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 363 Posts
Commuter Panniers?

I've been using a Knog bag as my commuter pannier for a few years now and it is getting kind of ratty. This bag has a system where the attachment clips onto the bag and then it hangs from the rack but it has no attachment at the bottom to keep it fully secure. I've been using a bungee cord to keep it stable and I don't really have a problem with that. The bag itself has a pocket for a laptop, a rain hood that is zipped into the bottom of the bag that I've never used, a wide shoulder strap, and a few internal pockets. The thing I never liked about the bag is that it is relatively flat so it is pretty limited in what goes in. Being flat though it keeps my clothes from shifting, so maybe that's a good thing

I"m looking for a replacement that attaches easily and securely, has a little more space but will still keep my clothes secure, and will easily convert to a backpack or messenger bag. It does not have to be waterproof as I never ride in any rain that's hard enough to get things wet. I am not looking for big panniers that I can travel with, just a commuter type bag, and single sided was always sufficient. A wine bottle pocket would be a nice addition too as the guys in the wine shop think it is funny that I come in sometimes with my commuter bike and bag, but other times in my roadie kit and I put the bottle in my middle rear pocket of my jersey. Isn't that what Italian cycling jerseys are for?

Anyway, any advice? I'm sure this is discussed ad nauseam in other threads, but it is getting colder out there and we need to go through all the arguments again.
Old 10-11-18, 10:06 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 130 Posts
Arkel - I just replaced the attachment hardware on my nashbar pannier with arkel's, and it's amazing.

Their bags look great. I'm also using a timbuk2 laptop bag, was considering the arkel commuter but found the timbuk2 for $50 on kijiji.
Old 10-11-18, 10:15 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Ortlieb's stuff is known for weather resistance, and they have a universal strap system (costs extra) to convert most of their panniers to a backpack. REI carries their stuff. They also feature a clip at the bottom to keep the pannier in place. I bought my bags on craigslist for a significant discount.
Old 10-12-18, 05:36 AM
zacster

Both the Arkel and Ortleib bags are relatively expensive. I never liked the look of the Ortleib bags either, they just look too much like a hard core cyclist bag. I'd probably appreciate them if I were traversing the country or doing a long tour somewhere, but I'm just riding to work. When I first bought my Knog bag people would comment on how nice it looked as a shoulder bag, then I'd point out it was actually a pannier. And I ended up with a second Knog bag that doesn't have the pannier attachment that is just a larger version that I still use.

Just poking around I see Banjo Brothers, Timbuk2 and a few others. I'll have to go to REI and one of the big bike shops and see what they have. Most stores just don't carry much, riding in NYC with a pannier is somewhat uncool. All the young people use messenger bags, only the old folk use panniers.
Old 10-12-18, 06:20 AM
crazyravr

Bikes: 1 for road & 1 for gravel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 28 Posts
I splurged and bought Bontrager DLX trunk bag. Amazing piece of hardware. The main compartment is expendable and insulated. The side panniers are zipped up and ready to unfold as required. Comes with a built in rain cover too. Another bonus is the easy clip on/off mechanism. Absolutely love it.
Old 10-12-18, 07:20 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Axiom Kingston. Thank me later.

https://www.amazon.com/Axiom-Kingsto...ngston+pannier

(Don't spend $70. Check eBay for a better deal. I spent $50 each on the two I have)

It's just a bag. No pockets. No tie downs on the outside. Just a bag with a big empty storage space. It's perfect for commuting. (There is a zippered pouch in the flap of the bag, but it doesn't take up room in the main storage area)

One bag holds a full change of clothes. Shoes, socks, belt, undershirt, outershirt AND my 13 inch ultrabook perfectly (I don't think I could cram a full thickness old school laptop in with the clothes). I have 2 so I can take a lunch, paperwork, stop at the store on the way home, etc etc.

They are well made. I've had mine for over a year and they still look brand new (I don't ride through mud and muck much)

They hold firmly to the rack. No wobble at all. I don't even just the rack lock that keeps them in place. Just the main clips and the bungee cord.

It is not water PROOF. But it's very water resistant. I've been caught in a couple mild showers. Everything inside stayed dry. They have a waterproof spray on coating. You can always reapply that. They sell the spray at any outdoor store. But I also keep one of these in the zippered hood of each bag

https://www.amazon.com/Ibera-Bicycle...+pannier+cover

....they fit perfectly, fit in the zippered compartment of the bag. And I've been in DOWNPOURS with the covers on and contents of the bags stayed bone dry.

Here's my amazon review of the bags
https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r...SIN=B006Z0O6X6
Old 10-12-18, 08:16 AM
LPcreation

Bikes: Giant Revolt 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just picked up these and love them so far.

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...-set?v=ocean22
Old 10-12-18, 09:00 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
I never liked the look of the Ortleib bags either, they just look too much like a hard core cyclist bag. I'd probably appreciate them if I were traversing the country or doing a long tour somewhere, but I'm just riding to work.
If you poke around, you can get Ortlieb in gray, or blue, or something other than very visible red or yellow, if that helps.

Most stores just don't carry much, riding in NYC with a pannier is somewhat uncool. All the young people use messenger bags, only the old folk use panniers.
Oh, you mean old folk who've tried the rest and found the best?
Old 10-12-18, 09:16 AM
zacster

Originally Posted by pdlamb

Oh, you mean old folk who've tried the rest and found the best?
I mean old folk like me.
Old 10-12-18, 10:01 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Check this out. Just saw it on Nashbar.

Waterproof pack.

$15 plus an additional 25% off through this weekend

https://www.bikenashbar.com/cycling/...r-bk-rgwp-base

It might suck or be tiny. I have no idea. But for $11.25 plus shipping...it might be worth rolling the dice
Old 10-12-18, 11:11 AM
Seaway

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sierra Trading Post has a few Orlieb messenger bag style panniers for sale.

I don't have enough posts to include a URL, but add "www." to the front if this sierratradingpost.com/s~ortlieb/
Old 10-12-18, 03:13 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Linky

These, there, are rectangular, so the mount is at an angle,
to not kick it as you ride ...

Old 10-12-18, 04:55 PM
zacster

I was just in REI and was completely underwhelmed. I think my Knog bag is much nicer than any of the Ortlieb or Timbuk2 bags they had there. None of them looked like they would be good as a messenger bag or backpack off the bike, and truthfully that matters more than how it looks on the bike. I think I'll just use what I have until it completely falls apart, maybe I should just buy another one now. They are a lot cheaper and I think better looking than the Ortliebs. I just wish the attachment system was better. As a messenger bag they look really nice. There was a guy in the store also looking at bags and when he saw my Knog he said "that's what I'm really looking for". He bought an Ortlieb.
Old 10-13-18, 09:19 PM
ripkin
1st Year Commuter

Bikes: Trek Farley 9, Kona Sutra LTD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ortlieb

Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
Ortlieb's stuff is known for weather resistance, and they have a universal strap system (costs extra) to convert most of their panniers to a backpack. REI carries their stuff. They also feature a clip at the bottom to keep the pannier in place. I bought my bags on craigslist for a significant discount.
I have ortlieb *front* roller pluses and use them as back rack panniers, and they’re perfect. I got the high-vis black/slate color as a pair for around 190 or $200 USD and they are big enough to hold shoes, work clothes, lunch, laptop in a protective sleeve, etc. If I’m only taking work clothes and snacks (I leave slacks, work shoes, and shower stuff at the office), I can actually use just one pannier on the top of the rack too, with a bungee cord for extra security (although prob. not needed with the extra mounting clip Unca_sam mentioned), and it makes a really nice rack-top bag too (more aero than having it on the side). They really are pretty reflective—the reflective thread is woven through the whole bag. There’s also a set in bright yellow, which I think would have been better for visibility, if not quite as stylish. If you get a full sized “high-vis” pannier, you have to pay a lot more $$ and you only get one. That’s why I opted for the pair of smaller “front rollers” and just use them on the back. They stay out of the way of my heels, too, due to the smaller size, which is a plus.

They aren’t really “classy” looking, but they clean up nicely and look reasonable toting them into a workplace. Ortlieb also makes more fancy stuff. Check out their websites, it’s country specific...
Old 10-13-18, 09:42 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
OP should simply buy new what he already has and says he likes, no need for discussion.......eazy peazy
Old 10-14-18, 07:33 PM
zacster

Originally Posted by Archwhorides
OP should simply buy new what he already has and says he likes, no need for discussion.......eazy peazy
Yes, thank you for repeating what I already said.
Old 10-15-18, 03:43 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
For myself,

I have 2 front Ortlieb bags strapped together , with webbing ,
so they come off as one .

Its easy to do with a strip of webbing added under the hook bar ..
pierced by the screws that hold it together

my front rack goes over the wheel , you can do the same with rear bags.
Old 10-15-18, 04:16 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,453 Times in 1,430 Posts
I see plenty of people using panniers on the Hudson River Greenway, but that doesn't mean I know what's cool.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-15-18, 08:11 PM
zacster

Originally Posted by noglider
I see plenty of people using panniers on the Hudson River Greenway, but that doesn't mean I know what's cool.
They must all be old like me.
Old 10-16-18, 01:34 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 87 Posts
Zacster, if you would be happy with the Knog bags if the mount was more secure, Ortlieb sells its pannier parts separately. I have bought the lower clips so that other panniers are secured to the bottom of my racks, just as an example.
Old 10-16-18, 01:38 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Yes, thank you for repeating what I already said.
[Moderator refiles into the Rhetorical Question Thread Forum]
Old 10-16-18, 04:28 PM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
I swear by my 24 year old set of Ortlieb panniers. Still no tears and water tight as on day one. Well worth the investment back then.
Old 09-16-19, 06:35 PM
zacster

Now that I've retired I don't need a bag. That Knog bag will live on.
Old 09-18-19, 02:40 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Now that I've retired I don't need a bag. That Knog bag will live on.
Well, that's a neat solution.

FWIW, as already mentioned, Ortliebs can be found for reasonable prices at Sierra. I have been commuting for a few years with mine.
Pros: Waterproof and dustproof. No issues off-road. Can just rinse inside/out.
Cons: Few pockets. Buckles broke. Mesh pocket on one is separating. So they're not as indestructible as people say.