Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Gravel bike or MTB for winter commuting?

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.
View Poll Results: Gravel bike or MTB for winter commuting?
Gravel bike
75.00%
Mountain bike
25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-15-20, 09:52 AM
KatieC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

I’m looking for opinions on which type of bike to use for winter commuting. I commuted year round via mountain bike for a couple of years and had studded Nokian tires, it worked great. I recently purchased a gravel bike that could also be a decent winter commuter.

I am familiar with mountain bikes in the winter. They work well. But I am new to gravel bikes. There are studded tires available for them and I can see some possible advantages to the gravel bike.

If you were in my position, with one of each type of bike, which would you prefer to commute on in the winter time?
Old 08-16-20, 07:13 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Choose whichever bike works better for your local conditions that you're riding in. You said that you already have experience with riding a mountain bike. What you need to do is ride your gravel bike and compare its performance to that of your MTB and then choose whichever bike you like more.
Old 08-16-20, 12:43 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
There are studded tires in both types like 37-622 , 50-559 & even for fat bike wheels..

I have an old MTB sitting in the basement, with studded tires on it .. performance is not an issue ..
Old 08-16-20, 12:49 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
When commuting in traffic, having my head up high is important. +1 for mountain bike.

But you can get better fenders for non-suspended bikes - don't know if that's important to you.

Drop bars are generally better for longer distances.
Old 08-16-20, 01:26 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I use both!

I like the gravel bike for ice and light snow (running 35mm studded tires), and the MTB for thicker snow and the bumpy stuff. The gravel bike gets tricky on streets that are not maintained or are scraped but not salted, especially as winter goes on and the frozen stuff builds up.
Old 08-16-20, 02:43 PM
xyz
Banned.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6072 Post(s)
Liked 894 Times in 712 Posts
What is a gravel bike? Knobby tires on a road bike? How is that different than a cyclocross bike?
Old 08-16-20, 03:51 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by xyz
What is a gravel bike? Knobby tires on a road bike? How is that different than a cyclocross bike?
It's a very clever marketing strategy. The only thing that a manufacturer has to do is to add some extra tire clearance, tweak the geometry a little bit and sell it at an inflated price....I went the cheap route and converted two of my rigid forked mountain bikes into a gravel bike. All I did was to put drop bars on it and I got myself a very capable gravel bike that handles great on pavement and off road.
Old 08-17-20, 01:05 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Originally Posted by xyz
I'd have to guess: BB lower on gravel bike than cyclocross racing bike? fit 37 wide tires?
Old 08-17-20, 05:01 PM
xyz
Banned.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6072 Post(s)
Liked 894 Times in 712 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
It's a very clever marketing strategy. The only thing that a manufacturer has to do is to add some extra tire clearance, tweak the geometry a little bit and sell it at an inflated price....I went the cheap route and converted two of my rigid forked mountain bikes into a gravel bike. All I did was to put drop bars on it and I got myself a very capable gravel bike that handles great on pavement and off road.
Clearance, didn't think of that. Just spent 350 on new 27.5 x 2.25 studded knobbies. For a Talon that I am using 27.5 x 2 tires now. Hope they fit, looks a little tight.
Old 09-07-20, 05:37 PM
PGHNeil

Bikes: 2003 Trek 4900, 2019 Trek Marlin 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
I’m not going to commute with my Marlin 7 but I went with it because I felt like it was a good jack of all trades bicycle. Straight bars and wider 29” tires are the way to go IMO.