Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Do you care that bike commuting is good for the environment?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 09-16-20, 12:53 PM
burritos

Bikes: 2021 Polygon Siskiu D7, 2008 Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 56 Posts

I don't care. I suspect that's probably true for the vast majority here. And it's not that I don't care about the environment. We have 2 ev's and solar panels. But with regards to bike commuting, I'd probably pay money and burn coal if I had to, to keep commute biking.
Likes For burritos:
Old 09-16-20, 12:57 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I wouldn't say I don't care, but it's way down the list for me. It's nice to know that my daily transportation choice doesn't contribute any pollution, but the main reason I started commuting was to get more saddle time and integrate training into my daily commute, so I could race on weekends. Most of which I drive to, using more gas than if I stayed at home.
Likes For caloso:
Old 09-16-20, 01:54 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
Heck yes.

Also I care it's good for my health, my wallet, and even available company parking spaces. I care that I can go for a recreational ride without coming home first, that not needing a car leaves more space in my garage for bikes.

None of those are why I bike commute, but they sure are effective excuses, rationalizations, and justifications.
Old 09-16-20, 02:11 PM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
Yes, since the 1980s. I didn't realize that "bike-free" was a thing back, but I didn't own a car until I was in my late 30s. Oh, wait, I had one for a year or so in my late 20s, but I let it deteriorate and it was eventually towed away. I'd really prefer living without one, but it's very hard in LA. Easier if you don't have family, kids, commitments, etc.
Old 09-16-20, 02:25 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
I've been at a home office for 5 years ... so I don't count as a bike commuter today. However, when I was commuting by bike, being eco-friendly was on the list, but not that high. Physical and metal health are at the top of the list, saving money on cars & health clubs is near the top too. So reduced emissions is kinda a bonus.
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 09-16-20, 03:18 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Sure, I care about how I'm doing my part to reduce pollution. It's near the top of my list, right below: cycling to work is fun; cycling to work is good for me; I save money cycling to work; and I see more interesting things on a bike.
Old 09-16-20, 03:33 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I'd like to say yes but it would be fatuous. In order to claim it you'd need it to be only a part of a minimalist lifestyle. I'm squarely a suburbanite.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 09-16-20, 04:36 PM
wsgts

Bikes: 2018 Specialized AWOL, 2013 Surly Pacer, 2011 Raleigh One-Way, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 2020 Surly Big Dummy

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
I don't really care, it was for health reasons that I started, nothing more or less. I glad it's pollution-free, but that was never my intent.
Likes For wsgts:
Old 09-16-20, 04:40 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
The fact that bike commuting is good for the environment certainly contributes to the overall smugness factor of year-round bike commuting, but I really don't care...unless some environmentalist starts a pissing contest.
Old 09-16-20, 06:09 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
I do care but it's not my top priority. The positive physical and psychological aspects were what kept me going.
Old 09-16-20, 06:26 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 61 Posts
Being able to always find a parking spot and getting to work faster and with less hassle were the main drivers. I've always ridden for convenience. But yes, good to know that it helps the environment. It's just not a motivation.
Old 09-16-20, 06:46 PM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
I've been at a home office for 5 years ... so I don't count as a bike commuter today. However, when I was commuting by bike, being eco-friendly was on the list, but not that high. Physical and metal health are at the top of the list, saving money on cars & health clubs is near the top too. So reduced emissions is kinda a bonus.
Ame answer but retired. I still bike commute as much as I can. Just not to work.
Likes For debade:
Old 09-17-20, 09:06 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by debade
Ame answer but retired. I still bike commute as much as I can. Just not to work.
Right on! I run nearly all errands by bike. And on a day when I have no errands to run, I just go for a spin. Still get all the benefits of bike commuting.
Old 09-17-20, 09:17 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,091 Times in 2,325 Posts
It’s not an either/or question. You can ride for environmental reasons and enjoy the ride at the same time. The world is in color, why boil everything down to black and white decisions?

I’m retired after 39 years of working and I kept track of how much gasoline and carbon dioxide I didn’t use or spew into the air (7000 gallons and 100 tons). That didn’t mean I didn’t find a personal benefit from riding.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 09-17-20, 10:56 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
It's pretty far down the list. I really do not enjoy driving, sitting in traffic, or parking. I also do not enjoy spending money on cars, car maintenance, gas, and parking. I do enjoy riding my bike, spending money on bike stuff, and wrenching. I'll also admit that the smugness factor of showing up by bike when it's raining/snowing/generally foul outside is a bonus.

It's not to say that I hate the environment - I try to do my bit. If I'm honest, though, the work trips I've taken in the past decade have completely tanked any carbon emissions I saved from bike commuting and doing most of my errands by bike.
Old 09-18-20, 05:48 AM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 80 Posts
I bike commute because I love riding. It has nothing to do with anything else. We purchased the house we are living in because it allowed me to bike commute only 12 miles r/t instead of the 20 miles r/t I was doing. Though the ride is mostly a 25 mile r/t each day. I plan to retire from this company sometime in the next few years and will continue to bike as much as possible.
Old 09-18-20, 08:52 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Absolutely I care that it's good for the environment. It's not why I started bike commuting, and not the main reason I kept it up for the first few years. But it's important to me to put my principals into action, even with small effect.

I went for years without ever driving into work, and when on some day I found myself on the edge of deciding to drive I would think "why not just save another day of destruction?"
Old 09-18-20, 12:50 PM
Eric S.

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
The end use may be good for the environment but all the metals needed to create a bicycle still come from mining. Some people would have you think that certain choices disassociate you from realities but even eco-friendly products require manufacturing.
Old 09-18-20, 02:10 PM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
I agree that bikes also use resources but they use a lot less resources that cars, SUVs or trucks. Producing a bike costs a lot less resources than a 2ton truck. So many people in my area commute in huge SUVs and Pickup trucks. Just selfish. Gas is till way too cheap here in the US.
Yes I personally care about the environment and this is one of the reasons I bike. Not just to commute, but also for leisure and to shop. I have even built me a cargo bike I can use to run my shopping errands. Not that I want to start a complete car free life style but I want to reduce my car usage wherever I can.
Likes For Harhir:
Old 09-18-20, 03:05 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Absolutely. I'm watching the entire state of CA burn due to climate change. I'm coming to the conclusion that my lifestyle isn't sustainable, and I need to accept responsibility for that. I'm not going to live a minimalist lifestyle, but actions do matter. I got an ebike so that it was more doable for my commute consistently by bike. Currently, I'm using the eBike to avoid having to live as a one-car household.
Savings, exercise, and environment are the main reasons I'm biking, but the ranking changes day to day.
Likes For gsa103:
Old 09-18-20, 03:08 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
not really
Old 09-18-20, 05:11 PM
randallr

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
Yes
Old 09-18-20, 05:11 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,091 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric S.
The end use may be good for the environment but all the metals needed to create a bicycle still come from mining. Some people would have you think that certain choices disassociate you from realities but even eco-friendly products require manufacturing.
Before getting out the scourges, take a step back and look at scale. There has been about 1 billion bicycles made up to now. At an average of 30 lb of metal apiece, that would be 15,000,000 tons of metal. That’s a lot but it pales in comparison to that used in cars. Just GM has made 500 million cars at an average of about 2000 lbs each. Let’s say 80% of that is metal or about 1600 lb. That’s 400,000,000 tons of metal mined and refined. Ford and Chrysler have similar counts so that 1.5 billion cars or 1.2 billion tons of metal.

Bicycles have used 1.25% of the metal used for cars. Or, to put it another way, the total output of bicycles in history is equal to fewer than 18,000,000 cars or about a quarter of the number of cars made in one year. It took about 120 years to make a billion bicycles. We bicyclists don’t contribute a lot to the issues of the day.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 09-18-20 at 05:16 PM.
Old 09-18-20, 10:03 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Just like everyone else on the planet, I'm part of the environment. So yes, I care that my bike commuting is good for it.
Old 09-18-20, 10:13 PM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
It is not so much the environment that keeps me bicycling but I really enjoy not paying for parking or worrying about when the bus drivers go on strike.
Likes For blue192:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.