Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo (or other) compact crankset

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-20, 10:13 PM
janthenat

Bikes: 1995 GT Tequesta, 20?? Miele Toscana 300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 15 Posts

Anybody have a source for one of those square taper Campagnolo Centaur CT Compact cranksets, in 175mm length? I would love to get my hands on one, or something comparable for my 10s drivetrain. Definitely want a compact, and possibly thinking about putting together a 34-46 or 34-48 as I'm not sure 50 will clear my chainstays. I also like the Sugino XD2 double crank arms or similar, or maybe something else with a retro or vintage look. Found some nice new-old-stock Campagnolo crank arm sets in 175 on ebay, but finding compact size chainrings in 135 is proving difficult.

Any thoughts? Thanks.
Old 09-17-20, 11:38 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
Compact chainrings for 135mm BCD do not exist. The smallest small ring you can install is 39 teeth
Old 09-18-20, 02:12 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
SJS Cycles have a Stronglight Impact - they don't have it up to 175mm but I'd be surprised if it isn't available. I've got a Stronglight compact chainset on one of my bikes and it's doing very well.
Old 09-18-20, 04:15 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Modern Bike seems to have a good selection in stock

https://www.modernbike.com/cranksets...nk-lengthis175
Old 09-18-20, 06:59 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,003 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by janthenat
Anybody have a source for one of those square taper Campagnolo Centaur CT Compact cranksets, in 175mm length? I would love to get my hands on one, or something comparable for my 10s drivetrain. Definitely want a compact, and possibly thinking about putting together a 34-46 or 34-48 as I'm not sure 50 will clear my chainstays. I also like the Sugino XD2 double crank arms or similar, or maybe something else with a retro or vintage look. Found some nice new-old-stock Campagnolo crank arm sets in 175 on ebay, but finding compact size chainrings in 135 is proving difficult.

Any thoughts? Thanks.
White Industries sell this modern/retro-looking, square taper using, variable BCD crankset.
Old 09-19-20, 07:12 AM
janthenat

Good point about the 38t limit for 135bcd, I suppose it makes sense. Nonetheless, I think I found just what I was looking for, at what seems like a decent price.

Stronglight Impact Compact 34/48 175 in silver...
https://www.xxcycle.com/crankset-str...ompact,,en.php
Old 09-19-20, 08:35 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by janthenat
Good point about the 38t limit for 135bcd, I suppose it makes sense. Nonetheless, I think I found just what I was looking for, at what seems like a decent price.

Stronglight Impact Compact 34/48 175 in silver...
https://www.xxcycle.com/crankset-str...ompact,,en.php
you might run into some incompatibility with yr current BB. The Stronglight crankset has a JIS taper. I’m assuming (possibly incorrectly) that you’re currently using a Campag square BB, which uses ISO taper. IIRC, while they both use the same 2degree taper, JIS is “wider”, so your crank will sit further down (further inboard) than your Campag crank. Which might be fine, but it might also bottom out before you get a good friction fit. This might also have implications for chainstay clearance. You may end up having to get another BB - either a JIS or a slightly longer ISO.
i has the devils own job finding a Campag square taper 172.5 compact crank (in silver) for my 10sp drivetrain. I repeatedly did the rounds of the usual sources of slightly older Campag stuff; ebay, CRC/Wiggle, Totalcycling etc. finally realized that it was a fruitless quest and I broadened the search to include external bearing BBs (PT and UT). I finally tracked one down at SprocketsUK, where a single crankset turned up out of the blue. I practically tripped over myself lunging for the “Buy” button

Last edited by Litespud; 09-19-20 at 08:48 AM.
Old 09-19-20, 09:27 AM
janthenat

Originally Posted by Litespud
you might run into some incompatibility with yr current BB. The Stronglight crankset has a JIS taper. I’m assuming (possibly incorrectly) that you’re currently using a Campag square BB, which uses ISO taper.
Sorry, just realized I didn't really clarify my current setup leading the reader to assume I'm using a Campagnolo crank. Here's my setup:
  • Veloce 10sp shifters
  • Veloce 10sp front derailleur
  • Centaur 11sp medium cage rear derailleur
  • FSA Gossamer Pro ABS bb386evo crankset 36/46/175
  • FSA bb386 bsa bottom bracket cups
The non-drive side bottom bracket bearings are shot after just 2 years, I'm sure due to something the mechanic (me) did during install. The axle on this crank is just a little short to give proper chainstay clearance for the chainrings and crank arms and I had to use spacers so I'm sure there was too much side load on the bearings. Anyway, I'm replacing crankset and bottom bracket and happened to have a JIS un55 hanging around. I may have to play with the bb size to get everything lined up.
Likes For janthenat:
Old 10-05-20, 01:24 PM
janthenat

Received the Stronglight Impact Compact crankset, which has a simple classic appearance in silver, and put it all together with my Shimano un55 113mm bottom bracket. Turns out I needed to add a 1.5mm bottom bracket spacer on the drive side to get chainstay clearance for the 48t chainring. I wonder if a 115mm would have been about right without spacers. Then it took me far too long to reposition and adjust the front derailleur. That done and the rear derailleur tweaked, I'm finding, as expected, a bit more restriction in small chainring - to - smallest cogs and vice-versa. Seems like the previous 36/46 crankset allowed pretty free use of all the cogs in either chainring. Assuming that is just a function of the chainring size differences. One major improvement is a greater q-factor, which is 159 vs 144 for the FSA crankset. Plenty of chainstay clearance for the crank arms, and room for my pedal spindle cadence sensor magnet.