Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

where do you get your Rx sunglasses?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-11, 09:46 AM
Flash
Are you with me

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced SL, Blue T-14 TT bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I need a pair of prescription shades for racing. I like rudy project models (I have the ekynox sx in non Rx) but am open to suggestions.

Other than rudy's website and bicyclerx.com, any other recommendations for online vendors? My Rx is max -4.50 and there don't seem to be many frames out there that will handle it.

Thanks
Old 02-03-11, 10:47 AM
lechat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got my RP Horus from Select Specs in the UK. They were slow. But had the best price i could find online. Do a search, a lot of Etailers carry Rudy Projects.
Old 02-03-11, 11:15 AM
techlogik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oakley...retailer. 10yrs I have used Oakley RX, yes, they can run me $300/pair depending on the model...but it is made right, they work great, the selection/choices of lenses/frames are the best out there. Still using my XX with Rx frame for rides with blue lens. I have a daily wear titanium Rx for driving etc...out and about.
Old 02-03-11, 11:16 AM
Flash
Are you with me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the Horus as well. I have a smaller face, any comments on fit of Horus? They look cool and I like the way the lenses interchange. thanks
Old 02-03-11, 11:17 AM
shiz702

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 for Oakley. Best purchase I've ever made.
Old 02-03-11, 11:50 AM
Kylerk

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced 1 (2011), Santa Cruz Superlight (2000), Jamis Coda Comp (2009)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Flash - Why from an online vendor? Is there a big difference in cost? Or are Rx Rudy Project only available online? Wouldn't something like that be better to purchase in person at a brick & mortar store where you can try them on? and be properly fitted and measured.
I purchased my last two pairs of Rx Maui Jims (and before that a pair of Oakleys) at LensCrafters. After seeing all of the steps they went through to make sure they fit and work correctly - I couldn't imagine getting a pair online. So I'm just curious. Thanks.
Old 02-03-11, 12:01 PM
v70cat

Bikes: S5 VWD & SL-7 S works Red.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two things:

1) because you need a strong prescription you probably cannot go with wrap around lens.
2) You will need measurement of eye distance to lens that before you can buy on line.
Old 02-03-11, 12:20 PM
Flash
Are you with me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kylerk
Flash - Why from an online vendor? Is there a big difference in cost? Or are Rx Rudy Project only available online? Wouldn't something like that be better to purchase in person at a brick & mortar store where you can try them on? and be properly fitted and measured.
I purchased my last two pairs of Rx Maui Jims (and before that a pair of Oakleys) at LensCrafters. After seeing all of the steps they went through to make sure they fit and work correctly - I couldn't imagine getting a pair online. So I'm just curious. Thanks.
good points. most of the vendors around me have a terrible selection, but I will definitely re-check.
Old 02-03-11, 12:21 PM
Flash
Are you with me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by v70cat
Two things:

1) because you need a strong prescription you probably cannot go with wrap around lens.
2) You will need measurement of eye distance to lens that before you can buy on line.
yep, my Rx has all that info
Old 02-03-11, 01:54 PM
curiouskid55

Bikes: o5 Specilized roubaix Comp, 06 Tequilo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sports RX online. Your regular optometrist shoiuld be gald to fit and check/deal with problems gratis.
Old 02-03-11, 03:02 PM
BrassBuns

Bikes: 2010 Trek 1.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another +1 for Oakley Rx. My Radars are hands down the best purchase I've made, along with the rx m-frames, though I can really only manage the radars off the bike without looking ridiculous. And not that it's particularly helpful to most, but usstandardissue is my source for feeding my (unhealthy?) oakley obsession.
Old 02-03-11, 05:40 PM
fordmanvt
Refrigerator Raider Hater

Bikes: 2008 Sequoia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maui Jim does Rx in their frames. I skipped the Rudy's because my total Rx is -5. framesdirect.com looks good although I went with local as the website was only $50 less.
Old 02-03-11, 05:51 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
I got the Rudy Project Rydons, mainly because I needed a helmet and a gear bag. The prescription lenses ride in a separate frame, which clips onto the sunglass frame. Getting them with built-in prescription lenses was something silly like $700. The downside of this set-up is that they're not as secure as built-in lenses; though I ride some bumpy roads and have had no problems, I wouldn't go this route if you use a MTB a lot. The upside is that you can interchange lenses - I have clear for low-light, and tinted for sun. I've been riding a half-hour before sunrise and passed other cyclists wearing dark sunglasses, and didn't want to be that kind of idiot.

Also, FWIW, I got bifocals so my old, non-close-focusing eyes can read my Garmin.

Demain, on roule!
Old 02-03-11, 06:02 PM
lechat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flash
I like the Horus as well. I have a smaller face, any comments on fit of Horus? They look cool and I like the way the lenses interchange. thanks
They fit me well. And have a wrap around look, but accept stronger prescriptions. One reason i bought from Select Specs is they had the flat black ones. I also got an extra pair of pods that I plan to have a different set of lenses mounted in.
Old 02-03-11, 07:22 PM
AllezDada

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got my Rudy Project Exceptions from Sportrx.com. I needed bifocals (got progressives) and my prescription is pretty bad (-6.00), so my options were limited; Sportrx.com did a good job, although the glasses were pretty expensive.
Old 02-03-11, 08:20 PM
bratton

Bikes: felt f85

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 for oakley
Old 02-03-11, 08:51 PM
rusted_rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by v70cat
Two things:

1)If wrap is too steep, you will have unwanted distorsion , fishbowl effect
2)its pupillary distance (distance between pupils)not distance to lens (vertex distance)
Go to an Optical store to get rx sunglasses, buying moderate rx eyeglasses on-line is risky,i can guarantee you will get unwanted prisim
Old 02-03-11, 08:54 PM
gitarzan
Lost Again

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1991 Sirrus, Specialized Secteur Elite, Miele Umbria Elite.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Walmart. Serengetis.

The big S washes off, it's just for display.
Old 02-03-11, 09:12 PM
awesomejack

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I own a pair of Rudy Project Horus from bicyclerx.com. My prescription is even stronger than yours (+5.75 in both eyes) and the guy at bicyclerx was very helpful. All together they set me back $330.

For your prescription I would highly recommend the Horus. The selling point for me was that they look like wrap around sport sunglasses and they have interchangeable lenses. Once I come up with the money for another $150 set of lenses, I'll have mostly clear set for night/cloudy days and sunglasses for sunny days.

In my opinion, these sunglasses far and exceeded my expectations and were well worth it. Huge improvement over my everyday glasses. I can see the corners of the road without moving my head, and I can tuck much lower without having to tilt my neck up as much. I would pay another $300 to get new ones if my current Horus broke.

Fill out an order form on bicyclerx, they'll give you a call and ask you what you want, they're very helpful.
Old 02-03-11, 09:16 PM
Pedal Plebe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 for Oakley. Never had a problem and they are superb.
Old 02-03-11, 10:19 PM
c0urt
moving target

Bikes: looks like a specialized crux now

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 69 Posts
+1 for oakleys,
Old 02-03-11, 10:59 PM
cod.peace

Bikes: Rans V-Rex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I need a pair of prescription shades for racing. I like rudy project models (I have the ekynox sx in non Rx) but am open to suggestions.

Other than rudy's website and bicyclerx.com, any other recommendations for online vendors? My Rx is max -4.50 and there don't seem to be many frames out there that will handle it.

Thanks
Go to sportsoptical.com they specialize in Rx's like yours and my wrap lenses at -3.5 are frickin' amazing.
Old 02-04-11, 01:57 PM
2005trek1200
BALM Co.

Bikes: 2010 Aerocat rR350, 2010 Aerocat R750, 2014 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Bianchi Trofeo, 2013 Trek Ion Pro CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cod.peace
Go to sportsoptical.com they specialize in Rx's like yours and my wrap lenses at -3.5 are frickin' amazing.
+1
Old 02-04-11, 02:46 PM
jrennie
Race to train

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had a set of rudy project lense mad locally and they are fine but the radar lenses I got(from oakley) are simply amazing. They are hands down the highest quality optics I have ever seen. Yes they are stupid expensive but if you take car of them and your rx doesn't change then go for it.
Old 02-04-11, 03:59 PM
crhilton

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks
I have Oakley's. I think mine was -3.5, which means there were a couple of good cycling style available. I actually had to get a set of "women's" frames to find ones with more than -3.0 that came up high.

Honestly though, find a way to wear contacts if at all possible. Prescription shades suck. Especially if you're close to what they can do with the wrap. You get distortion. They're expensive. If you break them you cry. If you lose them you cry. When it gets dark at the end of a ride you can't just take them off to see. Etc, etc etc.

Next time I'm getting contacts. It would have been cheaper!