Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Bike Lanes Good for Business!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-12, 04:46 PM
BicycleCrazy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 1 Post

Interesting article on NBC regarding bike lanes.

Your thoughts? Do you spend more money at local businesses when you ride your bike?
Old 12-07-12, 05:41 PM
chefisaac

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If the business allow me to take my bike in, then yes. Or provide an area that allows me to properly lock up my bike. To be frank, I like restaurants that allow me to sit outside and keep an eye on the bike.
Old 12-07-12, 05:45 PM
scoatw

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I know that I do. I'm more likely to stop somewhere on the way home rather than get home and then go back out. And if our main drag had a dedicated bike lane I would frequent those businesses more also.

Last edited by scoatw; 12-07-12 at 05:49 PM.
Old 12-07-12, 07:15 PM
BicycleCrazy

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chefisaac
If the business allow me to take my bike in, then yes. Or provide an area that allows me to properly lock up my bike. To be frank, I like restaurants that allow me to sit outside and keep an eye on the bike.
I totally agree with you in regards to parking. I have on more than one occasion chosen a particular business over another because of inadequate places to secure my bike. I was reading that a local convenience store in Portland, Or. recently installed bike racks at 12 of it's stores for that very reason.
Old 12-07-12, 09:14 PM
SPECELIZEDRIDER

Bikes: Specialized Rock Hopper

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yup they get my business hands down, Rebertos taco shop open 24 hours is one.
Old 12-07-12, 10:00 PM
Bluish Green
Bicycle Commuter

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I switched grocery stores because my old one has no bike parking provided, while my new one has a bike rack under an awning/covering with good lighting.
Old 12-08-12, 11:08 AM
SPECELIZEDRIDER

Bikes: Specialized Rock Hopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If there is no secure bike parking near by than it's a no go on that business.
Old 12-08-12, 12:33 PM
cyclokitty 
Not safe for work

Bikes: KHS Town and Country 100 & Jamis Durango Femme 1.0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Luckily, most places I cycle to for errands and groceries have good bike racks outside on the sidewalk or near the front door. There is one section I visit that doesn't have a bike rack nearby, it's about a block away, but they let me bring my bike inside. I'd much rather have a bike rack outside on this block but the city took them out a few years ago when the sidewalk and street was re-paved. I guess what I should do is email the section responsible for bike racks and request some be put in the block. I've seen others on bikes in the area so I know I'm not the only who'd use it.

I prefer doing as many errands as possible by bike and even the local Home Despot (ok, it's more of a 10km round trip, but it's a fun trip) has a decent rack in front of it.
Old 12-08-12, 05:05 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BicycleCrazy
Your thoughts? Do you spend more money at local businesses when you ride your bike?
Works for me since I do most of my shopping trips by bike. Ironically the last thing I bought by bike was a replacement car tire.
Old 12-08-12, 05:12 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
This, I recently rode 20 miles around downtown and midtown, then stopped at a deli for lunch. I sat outside on their patio, got a table near the building windows, and just propped my bike up right there between the table and the building wall.

And of course on that article you have some dude saying bikes should be registered pay insurance blah blah blah pay to use the road blah blah blah
Old 12-08-12, 05:29 PM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
... And of course on that article you have some dude saying bikes should be registered pay insurance blah blah blah pay to use the road blah blah blah
Until the overwhelming majority of motorists, the DOT, the DMV, the police, insurance agencies, et al acknowledge the fact that cyclists have the same rights as motorists , I'm not paying squat. There'll be a new breed of 'outlaw biker'.
Old 12-08-12, 06:03 PM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 2,637 Times in 947 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
Works for me since I do most of my shopping trips by bike. Ironically the last thing I bought by bike was a replacement car tire.
For some reason I picture you riding along one hand on the bars the other rolling a tire down the road. Hope you had a trailer.
Old 12-08-12, 07:33 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by locolobo13
For some reason I picture you riding along one hand on the bars the other rolling a tire down the road. Hope you had a trailer.
Yes, I did use a trailer. My Bike Friday folder came with a trailer frame for holding the suitcase for the bike when traveling by plane. The suitcase sits on top attached by three bolts that stick up from the frame. I made a utility trailer out of it by taking a piece of plywood and drilling three holes in it for the bolts plus a few more along the sides for bungee cords or straps.

But your mental image isn't too far off from when I purchased my road bike and took it home by holding its stem while riding my other bike one-handed. Fortunately bicycles can be steered much more accurately than a free-rolling car tire.
Old 12-08-12, 07:46 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
My city put bike lanes on Piedras St., a wonderful strip with small local shops - a barber, boot repair, bakeries, etc. But since we have no definable bike advocacy or culture here, no one used the lanes and they were scrapped after shop owners complained and it was shown that the lanes harmed business. On the other hand, a lot of businesses within a 5 mile radius of my home get more business than they would have if I was "car-only". Bike racks in front of businesses is a thumbs-up
Old 12-08-12, 08:19 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
I really do go out of my way to support shops that let me take the bike inside - and I do my best to make sure they know why. Bike lanes I can take or leave, most I'd rather leave.

I've been an Apple products guy for a few years now, but the lack of bike parking in front of their Philly store really aggravates me, especially as I feel that it's intentional. I used to be able to park inside without hassle, but lately they say something and I have to say "you've let me before." Once I have to argue and get grief, I want to avoid you. I've been slowly deciding to phase away from them, and the parking does play a role in that.
Old 12-08-12, 11:26 PM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

We have the Bike Commuter Discount Program. A local commuting forum put it together. You show up on yur bike and they give you a discount.
Old 12-09-12, 12:24 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

In my town, a recent bike lane installation was vehemently opposed by businesses on the street. After the installation, several businesses changed their minds completely. Apparently, sales increased... Some of this was bicycle traffic (for example, a motor cycle bar quickly converted to a fixie/SS joint..).

But it was more than bicycles that increased sales. The bike lanes kind of constrained cars into going slower. Business from cars also increased, especially since the bike lanes also allowed a turn lane in the middle of the street.
Old 12-09-12, 12:38 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
I almost exclusively run errands on a bicycle. Car and even a motorcycle are too bothersome to park, maneuver, etc. Bicycle is like going on foot - but quicker. Stop in 1 second, lock the bike in 10 more seconds and visit a shop.
Old 12-10-12, 05:29 AM
kookaburra1701

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Dolce Triple, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 2012 Windsor Kensington 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
95% of my errand running is by bicycle, so yes, bike lanes and parking definitely means that I will be more likely to frequent a business. For example, there's an AWESOME local-food market/co-op store I love going to (they sell raw goat milk from the dairy where I used to work) but the street it's on is hellish, even in a car. I would shop there much more often (now I get there about once a week or so, basically however long it takes for me to go through my half-gallon of goat milk) if it had bike infrastructure.
Old 12-10-12, 10:12 AM
jdswitters

Bikes: Swobo Fillmore, Kona Ute, Salsa Timberjack, Salsa Fargo, New belgium brewery cruisers-2014 and 2009 and 2007

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts
Pubs, anymore I only go to the ones that let me park inside, there are a few int he area.

Grocery shopping, the one 1.5 miles away gets my business because i can take the bike lane, the one half a mile away is at a busy intersection without bike lanes in either direction, they see me once a month to buy tater tots the only thing the Sprouts doesn't carry.

The rest of town is pretty accessible by bike from where I live now, but I wont go back to a restaurant if there is not lighted bike parking right in front.

I travel a lot and look at new towns and cities wondering if I would like to bike there when driving through. Recently I went from Mobile AL one week to Corvallis OR the next. Mobile not so much but I saw some new bike lanes so they seem to be working on it. Coravallis, I thought this was a bike town till I went out in pouring rain to block 15 and saw more people on bikes than I see in the summer in FT Collins. Excellent bike town, although it looks like it might be so popular that bike parking might be a hassle.
Old 12-10-12, 10:29 AM
kookaburra1701

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Dolce Triple, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 2012 Windsor Kensington 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jdswitters
Coravallis, I thought this was a bike town till I went out in pouring rain to block 15 and saw more people on bikes than I see in the summer in FT Collins. Excellent bike town, although it looks like it might be so popular that bike parking might be a hassle.
If you'd gone in either direction on I5 for an hour, you'd have seen REAL Oregon bike towns. I'm partial to Eugene, of course. Oh, and one reason there's lots of cyclists in both Corvallis and Eugene are the Universities.

ETA: for the op - bikeyface recently had a good post about this phenomenon: https://bikeyface.com/2012/11/02/not-cyclists/

Last edited by kookaburra1701; 12-10-12 at 10:33 AM.
Old 12-10-12, 11:30 AM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There was a study published a few months ago saying basically the same thing about the LES in NYC: cyclists spent more than public transportation takers who spent more than drivers at business where bike infrastructure existed. Biking + Walking = More Money Spent at Local Businesses
People on bike and foot spend the most per capita per week, $163 and $158, respectively, at local businesses. Car and subway users spend less per capita, $143 and $111, respectively, although the volume of subway riders makes them the second highest total spenders of any transportation mode.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 12-10-12, 07:51 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jyossarian
There was a study published a few months ago saying basically the same thing about the LES in NYC: cyclists spent more than public transportation takers who spent more than drivers at business where bike infrastructure existed. Biking + Walking = More Money Spent at Local Businesses
I wonder why that is... although around here every bicycle trail ends at a bar or a restaurant... which tells me something.