Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What shoes to wear for indoor cycling?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What shoes to wear for indoor cycling?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-21, 03:56 PM
jlvs2run
septuagenarian

Bikes: Concept2 BikeErg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jlvs2run
I've been using light weight running shoes (238g/8.4oz) on flat pedals with Zefal toe clips for indoor riding and training about 2 hours a day. They are comfortable and reasonably safe for walking on my concrete floors, but the rubber soles are way too soft for my feet.

My 50 year old pair of cycling shoes (295g/10.4oz) with metal cleats, toe clips and straps are better for riding, but they're somewhat tight on my toes, and way too slippery and risky to walk around with on the floors between sets.
Cleats and their related encumbrances would be much more of an issue than the rubber soled shoes that I'm using. However, I do want hard / firm soles, not rubber ones. I'm just as fast without using the cleated cycling shoes, so what I really want are lightweight shoes with hard soles, and no cleats.

If I remove the cleats from my vintage leather soled racing shoes, would they work with the flat pedals and toe clips, or would they be too slippery? I could glue on some bathtub grips if that would be helpful.

Likewise, I'd like another pair of hard soled shoes that are lightweight, well ventilated, roomy, have flat insoles, no hard heel counters, and no toe guard smashers. They don't have to be cycling shoes, as long as they meet these criteria. Thanks much for the helpful comments.

Last edited by jlvs2run; 04-02-21 at 04:00 PM.