Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Carrying Additional Bike Repair - Longer Rides

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 04-13-21, 06:10 PM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 127 Posts

In my saddle bag I have my multi-tool, Stan's dart, Co2 cartridge and inflator, a patch, money and a mask (f&ck covid).

Most of my rides on this bike are relatively close to home. I want to keep all of this stuff in that bag, on the bike, and not swap to another bag when needing more space.

When going further from home and/or longer rides I want to bring along a tube, nitrol gloves (installing tube) and a lezyne mini pump...and if no where near services (1-2x a year) a sawyer mini filter and bladder. I could simply put these in my pockets, or, can throw a small bag on my bike. I don't like handlebar bags. I have bolts on the top tube and under the bottom tube (one of those tool holders perhaps). I want just enough space for these items and no more. I use pockets for a vest, small jacket, etc., so I want this additional tool bag to be as minimal as possible.

Ideas?
Old 04-13-21, 08:00 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
I hate carrying things in pockets. I think I would figure out something under the downtube. There are a couple of good looking solutions for that.
Old 04-13-21, 08:08 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
I have the same mount on both of my bikes that supports the same pouch under the rear of the saddle with tools and essentials. It also has a clip on the back for my blinking tail light. I click it into the mount of whichever bike I'm taking that day for a ride. It's kind of like having a 'go bag' at the ready.
Old 04-13-21, 08:19 PM
wheelsmcgee

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
I also carry a small saddle bag with the “every ride” essentials. On the longer events I do, I need to bring a few extra things.

One option I have is my hydration pack. This has a 2L bladder which more than doubles the two water bottles of water/mix I typically carry on the bike. Additionally, my hydration pack has an extra cargo pocket that can hold a few extra snacks and tools. Some people don’t like a backpack while riding, but it does not really bother me at all.

if that’s not enough, I might instead (or in addition) put on my half frame bag. I like that better than the hydration pack if I’m not needing to carry a lot of fluids. There are a lot of specialized frame bags if you look around...you can likely find one that’ll mount in whatever unused space you have in your main triangle...and if you cant find one pre-made, there are a lot of custom makers than can stitch something up for you.
Old 04-14-21, 07:59 AM
franswa

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 105 Posts
Got a photo of the bike? Seeing the frame might help with suggestions.
Old 04-14-21, 11:10 AM
Noonievut

Old 04-14-21, 11:22 AM
jonathanf2

Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 428 Posts
I ride with a fanny pack that usually carries snacks and other small items. It's not very intrusive or noticeable when on long rides.
Old 04-14-21, 11:50 AM
Noonievut

Originally Posted by jonathanf2
I ride with a fanny pack that usually carries snacks and other small items. It's not very intrusive or noticeable when on long rides.
I've noticed those in some videos...assuming I like riding with one on, can't beat it for versatility.

Are there bike-specific ones, or will any do so long as it's secure?
Old 04-14-21, 12:16 PM
lk2500

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Install another bottle cage (or even a velcro one) and you can fit quite a bit of repair items on a cage pack. I have this one:

Topeak CagePak Handlebar Bike Bag, Black, Yellow, 18 x 7.4 cm / 7.1” x 2.9”

I like that i can transfer it between bikes very easily, can simply remove it when I clean my bike, and can take it off and carry it or throw it in a backpack if I need to stop and leave the bike outside for a quick stop at the coffee shop.
Old 04-14-21, 12:37 PM
jonathanf2

Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 428 Posts
Originally Posted by Noonievut
I've noticed those in some videos...assuming I like riding with one on, can't beat it for versatility.

Are there bike-specific ones, or will any do so long as it's secure?
Depends on how much you want to carry? I prefer a standard fanny pack just to carry my snack bars, mask, wallet, etc. Fanny packs for joggers/runners have a slimmer profile and hiker/MTB style fanny packs can usually carry more items, plus an extra water bottle. I'd also look into a drop bar bag as well.
Old 04-14-21, 12:44 PM
franswa

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 105 Posts
I use THIS saddle bag on all my rides and it's really versatile since it's a rolltop, allowing you to make it small on the closer rides and larger for longer rides.

Here is what mine looks when almost completely packed - this day I had: multi-tool, nitrile gloves, 2x Co2 and inflator, tire lever, tubeless patch kit, 2x quick links, winter gloves, and rain jacket. I probably could have stuffed something else in there if I needed to.

Old 04-14-21, 12:47 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts
Those top tube bolts are meant to be used. I love my Revelate Mag Tank Bolt On. https://www.revelatedesigns.com/inde.../MagTankBoltOn
Old 04-14-21, 01:18 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Lots of people pooh-pooh handlebar bags, but I think this is only because they look dorky. However, there is no more convenient place to hold stuff... maybe those little top-tube mounted trunks, but those are generally much smaller than a handlebar bag.

On a more sporty bike (as opposed to a slower touring bike) I like to keep a small seat bag like Noonievut has on his Aquila. THese can hold a tube, multi tool, patch kit, and CO2 inflator, and generally fit these things snugly enough that there is no movement or rattling. I generally leave a bag with this stuff on the bike so it is there when I need it.

Any repair that can't be accomplished with my multi tool and flat repair bits is generally a ride-ender, unless I happen upon a friendly person in a garage who can lend me a large wrench or whatever else might be necessary.
Old 04-14-21, 01:30 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
I carry on every road bike ride, whether it's 4 hrs. or 1 hr., 2 tubes, 3 CO2's plus inflator, patch kit, a mini pump, tire boots, Topeak Alien tool, and a KMC Quick Link. My theory on tubes is if I get a flat 2 miles into the ride, as long as I can clear whatever caused the flat, I'll pop in a tube and keep riding and will have a spare if I get another flat. I've had as many as 3 on a ride way back when. Good thing I had the patch kit that time.
Old 04-14-21, 01:37 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
I want just enough space for these items and no more. Ideas?
My under-saddle bag holds a tube, a patch kit, CO2, a mini-tool, and tire levers. Mini-pump goes in my back pocket. If I need to carry more than that, I'll just wear a fanny pack or a hydro-pack. I'm too old to care about fashion.

Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
Lots of people pooh-pooh handlebar bags, but I think this is only because they look dorky.
I think handlebar bags look cool -- but they can make it hard to mount a light. And those multi-gadget handlebar mounts look even dorkier!
Old 04-14-21, 02:45 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Wolf Tooth B Rad mounting system with mini-roll top bag will fit your tube, flat kit, CO2, levers, mini-tool, etc and this can be mounted inside your frame triangle. I've used mine on my seat tube and positioned to have the tool bag just below the water bottle, but you may need to play around with placement. https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...s/b-rad-system

I'd get a mount for the mini-pump and attach it to the downtube bottle bosses. Something like this:
https://ride.lezyne.com/products/1-rp-brkt-v1nhpmp

I have no idea how big that water filter and bladder are, but maybe they can fit into a saddle bag?

Old 04-15-21, 09:50 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
Wolf Tooth B Rad mounting system with mini-roll top bag will fit your tube, flat kit, CO2, levers, mini-tool, etc and this can be mounted inside your frame triangle. I've used mine on my seat tube and positioned to have the tool bag just below the water bottle, but you may need to play around with placement. https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...s/b-rad-system

I'd get a mount for the mini-pump and attach it to the downtube bottle bosses. Something like this:
https://ride.lezyne.com/products/1-rp-brkt-v1nhpmp

I have no idea how big that water filter and bladder are, but maybe they can fit into a saddle bag?

Don't your knees hit those water bottles?
Old 04-15-21, 10:17 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigbus
Don't your knees hit those water bottles?
I have no idea. That isn't my bike, it's a photo is from the manufacturer's website.
I posted it just to show what the B-Rad system is and how it can be used to shift bottle mount locations up or down the tube to allow more space above/below.
Old 04-15-21, 01:39 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
In my saddle bag I have my multi-tool, Stan's dart, Co2 cartridge and inflator, a patch, money and a mask (f&ck covid).

Most of my rides on this bike are relatively close to home. I want to keep all of this stuff in that bag, on the bike, and not swap to another bag when needing more space.

When going further from home and/or longer rides I want to bring along a tube, nitrol gloves (installing tube) and a lezyne mini pump...and if no where near services (1-2x a year) a sawyer mini filter and bladder. I could simply put these in my pockets, or, can throw a small bag on my bike. I don't like handlebar bags. I have bolts on the top tube and under the bottom tube (one of those tool holders perhaps). I want just enough space for these items and no more. I use pockets for a vest, small jacket, etc., so I want this additional tool bag to be as minimal as possible.

Ideas?
Whenever I venture further from home I simply carry a second identical bicycle on my back in case the one I am riding breaks down.
Hope this helps
Likes For downhillmaster: