Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

how to protect hub motor axle thread?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-21, 10:19 PM
first trip

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

HI
i have a xiongda and preparing to install it on my bike.
i have a very important question many things can be installed on the axle squized between the final nut and the rest example a trailer attachement kind of thing torq arm.

if i intall a one eight or one quater of an inch plate with a hole in it and it leans on the axle (squized) and i roll lot of km with this plate moving along (cause it has weight on the other side, would you agree that after a while , the stips of the axle will be degraded like someting like the picture and leave me with a very hard to screw again or unscrew axle after ?

if yes, how could i solve this

Old 04-16-21, 06:00 AM
andychrist
Devil's Advocate

Bikes: Fuji Del Rey, Bacchetta Giro 20, RANS Stratus XP XL, RANS Stratus XP XXL, RANS Stratus LE XL

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 38 Posts
If removing the axle from the hub (rather than just removing the wheel from the dropouts) is a concern, perhaps you could enlarge the trailer hitch inner diameter with a 16mm round tip cylindrical burr and fit a 12mm ID/16mm OD nylon sleeve inside.

Otherwise, because the plate is behind the axle nut, even if the threads compress it shouldn’t make any difference removing/reinstalling the wheel.
Old 04-16-21, 07:50 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
People tow 60 pounds of trailer with their hitches held down by quick release skewers. A hub motor has a 10x12mm fastener. The Rad ebike instructions say 30 ft-pounds on their axle nuts, 20% less than the 37 ft-pounds often cited for a class 8.8 10mm bolt. However, an ebike axle is often hollow on one side to let wires go thru.

Whatever you are worried about ain't going to happen. If you want to worry, worry about the Xiongda gears. Is it the standard reduction gear motor, or is it the super climber where they reverse the motor to engage a hill climbing gear.
Old 04-16-21, 11:32 AM
first trip

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by andychrist
If removing the axle from the hub (rather than just removing the wheel from the dropouts) is a concern, perhaps you could enlarge the trailer hitch inner diameter with a 16mm round tip cylindrical burr and fit a 12mm ID/16mm OD nylon sleeve inside.

Otherwise, because the plate is behind the axle nut, even if the threads compress it shouldn’t make any difference removing/reinstalling the wheel.
so your assomption is that 4 mm of nylon would take a long while before it is used through(holed) ?

Are you sure an axle can be removed from a hub?

my concern is more that is im need to back what is on the axle to install orther additional stuff on it i might not be able to do so cause the nuts would be stopped by stripped thread (from friction oof a metal piece regular on it).
Old 04-16-21, 11:42 AM
first trip

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
[QUOTE=

Whatever you are worried about ain't going to happen. If you want to worry, worry about the Xiongda gears. Is it the standard reduction gear motor, or is it the super climber where they reverse the motor to engage a hill climbing gear.[/QUOTE]

ho i sure would like to hear you more on that.
its description : the double speed motor is our patened product, the two sets of gears structure allow you change gears just like cars.
Low gear for climbing, high gear for flat road. the torque it generates at 250W is bigger than normal 500W motor.
a good helper of hill climbing.
Old 04-16-21, 12:23 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 881 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 620 Posts
Don't know whether you read endless sphere, but there were reports of multiple failures with this system AIR. There were enough problems that I lost interest in trying one. At times I'm too far from civilization to encounter mechanical problems.
Old 04-16-21, 12:52 PM
andychrist
Devil's Advocate

Bikes: Fuji Del Rey, Bacchetta Giro 20, RANS Stratus XP XL, RANS Stratus XP XXL, RANS Stratus LE XL

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by first trip
so your assomption is that 4 mm of nylon would take a long while before it is used through(holed) ?

Are you sure an axle can be removed from a hub?

my concern is more that is im need to back what is on the axle to install orther additional stuff on it i might not be able to do so cause the nuts would be stopped by stripped thread (from friction oof a metal piece regular on it).
My assumption is that the 2mm of nylon on either side of the axle will prevent the hitch plate from ever damaging the threads. But easy to replace as necessary (probably never).

Have no idea whether the axle can be removed from the hub but your pics show a nut inside the worn area, which I’m assuming is the potential problem to which you refer if it ever had to be removed for servicing. IIRC my Bafang drives do not have nuts up against the hubs like that so I’m unfamiliar with their purpose.
Old 04-17-21, 11:13 AM
Doc_Wui

If your tow plate is loose enough to tear up the axle threads, your hubmotor is going to be loose enough to spin out, twist off the wires and basically destroy the motor wiring and the bike frame. Torque your nuts down and all will be fine, I think some manufacturers recommend about 30 ft-pounds. You should be fine. Mark the nuts with a sharpie pen, and you'll know if they loosened w/o needing to test the torque.

I would not add an additional torque plate. Instead, follow the recommendation in the other thread and use a tow plate that serves double duty as a hitch and a torque arm. Someone might have to make it for you, if you can't do it.
Old 04-18-21, 01:14 AM
first trip

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc_Wui
If your tow plate is loose enough to tear up the axle threads, your hubmotor is going to be loose enough to spin out, twist off the wires and basically destroy the motor wiring and the bike frame. Torque your nuts down and all will be fine, I think some manufacturers recommend about 30 ft-pounds. You should be fine. Mark the nuts with a sharpie pen, and you'll know if they loosened w/o needing to test the torque.
good idea

I would not add an additional torque plate. Instead, follow the recommendation in the other thread and use a tow plate that serves double duty as a hitch and a torque arm. Someone might have to make it for you, if you can't do it.
what what the thing you were about to say about something more important that i sould think of about the xiongda 2 speed ? when you said worry about the Xiongda gears. Is it the standard reduction gear motor, or is it the super climber where they reverse the motor to engage a hill climbing gear.

tx
Old 04-18-21, 07:25 AM
Doc_Wui

You read the report on the two speed motor from one of the original users? He had four motors. Two melted the plastic gear and a third had it magnets come unglued (probably from heat(. Yet he is happy, as he lives on a hill that has melted all his prior motors.

Bruce Teakle's Pages: Xiongda 2-speed hub motor Review ? First impressions

In the same time frame, 2018, another report. This user less happy.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/vi...p?f=46&t=96895

However, Swytch used Xiongda motors in their very successful first launch, but they did not use the two speed motor. They used a single speed motor which XIonga (and everyone else in CHina) knows how to make well, having copied them for years. THey certainly put an excellent finish on their motors, buffing that aluminum to a shiny appearance. And it is also 2021, and I would ecpect bugs in the two speed have been addressed.

I will apologize for giving you too much to worry about.
Old 04-18-21, 08:35 PM
first trip

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I read the bruce and xiongda have changed there gear i eared. is it a typo or you say there is also a cie name XIonga?
i already have the motor so ill be able to test after i solve the torqarm thing and add the electric brake and such .. tx for the link
Old 04-20-21, 12:15 AM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
The threads shown in the picture are damaged badly. Replace that axle, or suffer later consequences.
Old 05-01-21, 06:19 PM
first trip

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by speedy25
The threads shown in the picture are damaged badly. Replace that axle, or suffer later consequences.
hi the damage thread are not mine i took them on the net to explicit what i want to avoid.