Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Commuter eBike

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Commuter eBike

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-20, 10:38 AM
siesta_texas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Commuter eBike

I have started analog bike commuting and I love it. It does take more time than I would like as it’s 15 miles, an hour on a good day I am seriously interested in eventually upgrading to an eBike and would be especially interested in a 28 mph version. There are so many options, I don’t even know where to start. I know the strong analog brands and components but eBike options seem so much greater.

any suggestions, recommendations for eBike commuters?
Old 11-08-20, 01:56 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
Budget, hills, can you charge at work, do you need to carry it up stairs and other questions will help decide. Off hand, I've ridden Trek commuters and am a big fan of their CS, so if your budget is $2,500 - $4,000, you might visit them (if they're local). On the other hand, I built a fine errand bike (33+ mph) for $600 using a donor bike I had.
Old 11-08-20, 10:05 PM
siesta_texas

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Budget would be ~$2.5k
Have gym at work
Would like a rack for panniers
There are some very slight ups and downs but no real hills. Mostly flat
Would like this to be my full time commute replacement
15 miles mostly on paved bike/walking trails
Old 11-08-20, 11:57 PM
2old

If you purchase from a major OEM (Trek, Specialized, Giant), most likely you'll purchase a mid-drive since that's about all they sell. However, a hub drive seems like it would satisfy your requirements. Read the tutorials at ebikesca and take your time making a decision. If you really want to investigate what's available, also check electricbikereview and electrek, but read with caution since I think both charge for "reviews".
Old 11-09-20, 07:16 AM
momsonherbike

Bikes: All mine are electric bikes now

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by siesta_texas
Budget would be ~$2.5k
Have gym at work
Would like a rack for panniers
There are some very slight ups and downs but no real hills. Mostly flat
Would like this to be my full time commute replacement
15 miles mostly on paved bike/walking trails
JMHO at that budget you'd be looking at the low end, lower power, older version Class 3 commuter ebike. That price is more in the Class 1 designation (20mph assist). You can jailbreak most Class 1s to become a Class 3 (28mph assist) but the torque is generally less to begin with, and that is a negative.

For a decent, reliable Class 3 with an LBS to stand behind it in terms of warranty and repairs, you'd want to jump up your budget by another $1k. Specialized and Giant have some really elegant commuter bikes with higher wattage integrated batteries and motors. Trek has some good ones, too. The torque is good on all three brands, as is the reliability.

I have a Class 1 (Giant 2019), a Class 2 (2014 aftermarket kit on vintage Giant bike), and a Class 3 (Specialized 2020)

Last edited by momsonherbike; 11-10-20 at 07:20 PM.
Old 11-09-20, 07:30 AM
siesta_texas

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
You get what you pay for and I would rather pay more for the better quality. I can bump it up to $3.5K if that would increase the options. Any models I should start looking at in that range. Also, what are things that are musts vs nice to haves in terms of options?
Old 11-09-20, 08:01 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 567 Times in 330 Posts
E-bike Restrictions Now and Future

There are risks associated with investing in an e-bike for commuting on MUPs.

Late last year the following was posted on a local trail that is popular for commuters:

I have no idea other than the sign about whether it is really enforceable.

I will say that knowing that stretch of trail, which has a number of blind corners and hilltops, operating at speed (whether or not e-assisted) can be dangerous to both the cyclist and other path users. I am not a fast rider, but I have to slow at the blind spots and when there is a lot of traffic, I have to slow even with good visibility to pass other trail users. I have a co-worker who was injured avoiding a pedestrian.

Bottom line, before I invested in an e-bike, I'd inform myself of the risks involved.

Last edited by flangehead; 11-09-20 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Add local experience.
Old 11-09-20, 09:54 AM
siesta_texas

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks, but really just interested in model suggestions for a commuter. Understand the safety and legal implications of an eBike.
Old 11-09-20, 10:07 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
I would look at something with a Bosch or Brose motor (if Bosch you will want performance line Speed) ideally look at something with 10 or 11 speed components, hydraulic brakes (if you see mechanical stuff run away and if you want more reliability and less faff use disc brakes) and something your local shop is willing to work on. Luckily with Bosch it is super easy as most shops have a QBP account and a phone so can easily get help from Bosch, Brose is also pretty easy as is Shimano (however I am not a fan of some of their motors and haven't tried the new one yet). You could also look at Specialized which has fantastic warranty support and on many of their bikes they are using Brose motors (their SL line uses something new but is still well supported on either side directly from them).

Test ride some different bikes and don't be afraid to up your budget a bit, think of it as an investment and get something that truly works for you and will be a reliable companion. Plenty of cheaper bikes even a few that go 28mph but as a commuter I want tops in reliability and quality even if it means spending 3-5k if I am going to ride it a lot and get a lot out of it, it is well worth it. Plus some shops do offer financing to help out.
Old 11-09-20, 02:07 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
I've been doing that for most of the last decade. Probably saves me 15 minutes on the commute (noticeable, but not huge).

What size tires and what type bike do you prefer? Flat bar mountain bike, or something more road oriented? I think there are a lot of new gravel type bikes (i.e. 40mm tires with drop bars) that are interesting, but what do you want?
How much power do you want? A strong biker like me can probably do 250watts for a commute - and I got a 350 watt motor to basically double my power (and bring my average speed up from 20mph to 25mph. But if you go 500 - 1000 watts the bike is going to be a LOT stronger than you. What is your prefference?
Old 11-09-20, 04:01 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
When I was shopping for an e-bike the Raleigh Redux IE and Giant Quick E+ were on my short list. They were at the top of my budget. Lower down were: Batch E-Commuter, Juiced Bikes Cross Current X and Aventon Pace 500. The Batch is a mid-drive but it's price competes with the Juiced CCX. I really like the Juiced CCX and between that and the Batch it would be a really hard decision. Ultimately I went with a cargo bike and mid-drive motor kit. If you have the bike mechanic chops you can save a lot of money OR get $3K+ level performance from a $1800+ cash investment.
Old 11-09-20, 08:06 PM
LuciusFox

Bikes: Trek Verve+3

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I bought my first e-bike in August, a Trek Verve+ 3. ($3k). I love it. I don't commute (gave up working a long time ago), but I do ride daily. The bike is very comfortable, feels very solid, and rides like a dream. Whatever you get, I would highly recommend buying it a local bike shop; mine has been super with setup and support.
Old 11-09-20, 11:37 PM
momsonherbike

Thanks, but really just interested in model suggestions for a commuter. Understand the safety and legal implications of an eBike.
Specialized Turbo Vado. This is a Class 3 commuter bike. Very nice, sleek bike that is well built with quality components, great torque, beautiful silent motor with exceptional power. Bike has a more aggressive forward stance for speed than a recreational ebike. The 500 to 600 watt battery is incorporated in the downtube so it has the classic look of a standard bike without an unsightly battery clamped on, or large motor at the pedals. Comes with special commuter type fenders for shedding water and keeping it away from the rider (it is honestly amazing!!!!), and a solid back rack for carrying panniers or for strapping on a briefcase or laptop. Automatic front and rear lights are incorporated into the frame so you always have running lights. It is custom designed for commuting. It also makes a nice recreational bike, too, for the more serious rider.

There are 3 models - Turbo Vado 3 ($2,700), Turbo Vado 4 ($3,500), and Turbo Vado 5 ($4,300).

(Disclaimer: I have the Turbo Vado 4.0 and have an extra battery for when I want to go long distances)

Specialized Turbo Vado 4

There is also a lighter version - Turbo Vado SL - that comes closer to mimicking a standard bike, but has less power. (The SL stands for Super Light) The battery power is less, as is the motor. But it is more stealth, if that's what you want, and 10 lbs lighter. Also $3k more at $6,500.

Specialized Turbo Vado SL

Last edited by momsonherbike; 11-10-20 at 12:16 AM.
Old 11-10-20, 04:58 AM
momsonherbike

... Also, what are things that are musts vs nice to haves in terms of options?
"Must Have" Options for me as a commuter: Integrated lights, back or front rack, fenders, easy to detach battery that can be charged away from the bike, carbon belt drive.

Note: If you can find a commuter with a carbon belt drive and IGH (good luck with that for a quality commuter under $5k), snatch it up! That combo is almost bulletproof against any and all weather and road debris conditions, and against the wear and tear and problems that plague chains and derailleurs. Riese and Muller makes a Gates carbon belt drive Class 3 commuter/city model (with three variations), but prices start at $7k and go up from there. I know several people who have the bike pictured below, and I had a chance to try one out at a group ride. It is a very well built, comfortable bike with smooth running gear and a powerful motor. Motor appeared to be not quite as quiet as the Vado, I thought, but the carbon belt drive was breathtakingly silent and the 14 gear range on the IGH were both smooth and efficient for long range flat rides as well as hills. (Disclaimer: I have a Class 1 commuter with a carbon belt drive and 8 speed IGH. It just can't be topped for taking all types of weather and road abuse and shrugging it off. As close to 100% maintenance free as humanly possible.)

"Homage" - Reise and Muller

Last edited by momsonherbike; 11-10-20 at 05:32 AM.
Old 11-10-20, 05:58 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
For $1200 you can convert your existing bike to an ebike that will do over 30 mph with a range of 50+ miles.

Honestly, stay away from the overpriced, underpowered factory bikes intended for the European market and build something that takes advantage of the more realistic US laws.

Just put a Bafang mid drive with a 52V battery on an old mountain bike. Very easy to do. Bafang is the worlds largest manufacturer of ebike motors. Their DIY kits are a bit of a standard now, very reliable, custom tunable, lots of info on line and unlike these overpriced Bosch and Brose units have lots of aftermarket support. You aren't locked into the manufacture's design or stuck buying only their parts.

The really nice thing about the Bafang units is the owner can program them with free software to be as anemic as factory ebikes, or pull out all the stops and go as fast as the motor and battery can handle. They have thumb throttles as well which I find to be a very useful safety feature

Here, all the free reading you could want. Consider a BBS02 kit paired with a decent capacity 52V battery. Luna Cycle will hook you up. Take the space out of the website work to get the link to work

https://www. r e d d i t.com/r/ebikes/wiki/bbs_faq

Last edited by Pop N Wood; 11-10-20 at 06:04 AM.
Old 11-10-20, 09:21 AM
2old

The other positive aspect of DIY is the companies don't change everything every year to "keep up with the Jones'). Fortunately, I haven't needed any parts for my bike, but after five+ years, they're available if necessary. My friend has been waiting for four months for a PAS switch to repair the faulty one on his Bulls bike. I have a Haibike-Yamaha (couldn't resist the deal I got since I "knew" the owner), and it's a decent bike; just doesn't get ridden much because the DIY is more fun (to me).
Old 11-10-20, 10:18 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
I have started analog bike commuting and I love it.
The term "analog" refers to a continuously variable physical measurement. How are you using this term to describe your commuting? Speed is usually continuously variable, but distance is usually not. If you have hills on your commute, your altitude would be continuously variable.

Just curious.
Old 11-10-20, 10:31 AM
Leisesturm

Originally Posted by LuciusFox
I bought my first e-bike in August, a Trek Verve+ 3. ($3k). I love it. I don't commute (gave up working a long time ago), but I do ride daily. The bike is very comfortable, feels very solid, and rides like a dream. Whatever you get, I would highly recommend buying it a local bike shop; mine has been super with setup and support.
Originally Posted by momsonherbike
Specialized Turbo Vado. This is a Class 3 commuter bike. Very nice, sleek bike that is well built with quality components, great torque, beautiful silent motor with exceptional power.
There are 3 models - Turbo Vado 3 ($2,700), Turbo Vado 4 ($3,500), and Turbo Vado 5 ($4,300).
I am actually a Trek loyalist as it happens. A Trek tandem is our 'car' and is what my DW (blind) commutes on daily. It is also set up to pull a trailer so it spends a fair amount of time ridden solo for grocery runs and other utility chores. A Trek racebike used to be my single rider commuter and errand bike but is really not the best tool for urban riding. The ebike I am building is based on a Mongoose Envoy cargo bike. The integrated panniers have nearly the same capacity as the trailer (Bob Yak). The Trek Allant 8s was at the top of my short list. It remains one of the most desirable bikes I've ever come across. Interesting that the Turbo Vado 5 actually costs $300 more. With my build I get the big rubber of the Allant series and even more wheelbase. About all I am giving up is the sexy styling That maybe for the best here in the bike theft capitol of the U.S. Bottom line, the Mongoose Envoy is $749. My battery (52V 17.5ah) and smart charger was $600, and the mid-drive with all the trimmings (shift sensor, brake sensor, thermal overload rollback) was another $600. No factory e-bike can touch it at the price!!!
Old 11-10-20, 10:35 AM
Leisesturm

Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
The term "analog" refers to a continuously variable physical measurement. How are you using this term to describe your commuting? Speed is usually continuously variable, but distance is usually not. If you have hills on your commute, your altitude would be continuously variable.

Just curious.
I read their use of the term 'analog' as "unassisted". They are, perhaps, early in the adoption of thinking of conventional bikes as needing a leading adjective, but not for long.
Old 11-10-20, 11:06 AM
siesta_texas

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost

Just curious.
I am new to the eBike world and have seen manual/conventional bike referred to as analog. That’s it. No theories of changing speeds here. Just a term I thought was the go-to term
Old 11-10-20, 12:42 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
I am new to the eBike world and have seen manual/conventional bike referred to as analog. That’s it. No theories of changing speeds here. Just a term I thought was the go-to term
I've heard that term quite a bit, too. Its not technically correct, but such is language.
Old 11-10-20, 12:58 PM
spinnanz

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by flangehead
There are risks associated with investing in an e-bike for commuting on MUPs.

Late last year the following was posted on a local trail that is popular for commuters:

I have no idea other than the sign about whether it is really enforceable.
I wonder if that excludes electric wheelchairs or mobility aids. It's in pretty bad taste to exclude people who may rely on an electric mobility aid, including an electric bike. Many older folk wouldn't ride as far or at all if not for a electric bike.

This is why I like commuter electrics, a lot don't even look electric. My electric commuter is home made and rarely gets noticed as an elec bike.
Old 11-10-20, 01:49 PM
2old

Originally Posted by spinnanz
I wonder if that excludes electric wheelchairs or mobility aids. It's in pretty bad taste to exclude people who may rely on an electric mobility aid, including an electric bike. Many older folk wouldn't ride as far or at all if not for a electric bike.

This is why I like commuter electrics, a lot don't even look electric. My electric commuter is home made and rarely gets noticed as an elec bike.
Nice stealth job. Some states (CA and at least 20 or so others) define a Class 1, 2, or 3 ebike as a bicycle, and not a motorized vehicle. In order to exclude them from bike paths etc, it must be specified (as in "No e-bikes"). There are a couple (at least) of local bike paths in socal that have done this, but most are available.
Old 11-10-20, 04:35 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnanz

Nice looking bike. Any details?
Likes For skookum:
Old 11-10-20, 05:11 PM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12185 Post(s)
Liked 1,492 Times in 1,104 Posts
I want a dealer nearby, there are more things to go wrong, and it's nice having somebody take your side when something does go wrong.

We don't have them nearby, but one of the brands I like the looks of is gazelle.

https://www.gazellebikes.com/en-us/bikes#page=1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.