Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How often do you need to add tubeless sealant?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-21, 02:44 AM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts

How often do you need to add tubeless sealant? Mine seems to be mostly dried out in 9 months. What are the experiences of others?
Old 01-04-21, 02:56 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12768 Post(s)
Liked 7,683 Times in 4,078 Posts
Originally Posted by alo
How often do you need to add tubeless sealant? Mine seems to be mostly dried out in 9 months. What are the experiences of others?
2 or 3 months in PHX, AZ summertime. I just hang the bike up, pull the core, stick a dipstick in to check levels, then kinda guess at how much sealant to add.
Old 01-04-21, 09:22 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by alo
Somewhere between every month and every year.

IMO, best way to know if you need sealant is to take the wheel off the bike and shake the bottom back and forth. If you hear any sloshing around, your good. Put the wheel back on and forget about it.

If not, remove the valve core and use a dipstick to see whether you are low or totally dry and add accordingly.
Old 01-04-21, 02:31 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Here in the frozen tundra of Michigan, once a season is the norm. Once every 2-3 seasons we recommend removal of the tire, clean up of old latex from tire and rim, then re-install and seal. A PIA for sure, and time consuming, but does a better job holding air in the long run.
Old 01-04-21, 05:52 PM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
follow directions of whatever brand you buy
Old 01-05-21, 06:38 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Depends 100% on local conditions. If your sealant has dried up in 9 months that seems reasonable, just throw in some more.
Old 01-05-21, 10:38 AM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
I initially bought a Kom Cycling Sealant Injector to add sealant (Orange Seal) when needed. Then I read online what should have been obvious to me. I now also use the injector to extract the sealant to get an approximation of what’s in the tire.

I had been re-injecting the old sealant back and then adding a bit more, if needed. Lately, since the sealant is not very costly, I have discarded the old sealant and added a fresh batch, usually 1.5 - 2 ounces per tire. The whole process using the Kom injector is easy and clean.
Likes For oldwinger14:
Old 01-05-21, 10:59 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
I asked my tech guy and he said to do it every Tuesday. So that is what I did. I should have noticed his name tag: J. Wellington Wimpy.
Likes For vespasianus: